Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quiz Show Expo in Burbank  (Read 2248 times)

rwalker

Quiz Show Expo in Burbank
« on: May 25, 2024, 03:46:04 PM »
No thread for this? How many are going from here?

BillCullen1

Re: Quiz Show Expo in Burbank
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 07:54:11 AM »
I didn't know about this till I saw the ad on Buzzr. Being held May 31 and June 1.

Here's the link    https://quizshowexpo.com/upcoming-shows     

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2024, 10:30:02 AM »
I'll be there, first visit to CA  :)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2024, 02:48:05 PM »
There's an ad that occasionally runs during the commercial breaks on Buzzr advertising Quiz Show Expo with footage of various activities (it appears that it hasn't been uploaded to YouTube, so I can't link to it). Because this upcoming event is the first Quiz Show Expo and therefore can't have previous footage, I was curious what the clips are. I recognized the TV theme song cover band The Remotes playing some prior gig, but I couldn't identify the gameplay-looking clips.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2024, 08:35:24 AM »
And so, not going after all. I've contracted COVID, and I don't want to be the fan that accidentally sickened Bob Eubanks et al.  :'(
Oh well.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2024, 01:16:28 PM »
And so, not going after all. I've contracted COVID, and I don't want to be the fan that accidentally sickened Bob Eubanks et al.  :'(
Oh well.

Ack! Feel better soon!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BillCullen1

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2024, 03:44:38 PM »
Bummer man. So Covid is not in the rear view mirror yet. Well, there's next year for the expo.

steveleb

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2024, 12:15:34 PM »
What a shame.  L’shana ha b’a bin Burbank.

TimK2003

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2024, 04:39:40 PM »
For those who DID make it to Burbank, how was the turnout and was it worth the trip?

I know the organizers are still mulling everything over and it will likely be a while before they announce whether or not a 2nd Annual Expo will be planned.

Am I correct that the website said they opened up the doors to the non-paying public for the final event Saturday Night?  That doesn't sound too promising for the future.

Bob Zager

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2024, 11:08:45 AM »
I don't know how many knew about it before this post was first placed, but I didn't!

It makes me think about David Letterman's only complaint about the Late Show (w/David Letterman), in its first few months--"Not enough hype!"

Nick

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2024, 01:28:02 PM »
I don't know how many knew about it before this post was first placed, but I didn't!

It makes me think about David Letterman's only complaint about the Late Show (w/David Letterman), in its first few months--"Not enough hype!"

I seem to remember Adam posting the website link on his Facebook page a while back before the event schedule was finalized.  That was the only buzz I noticed.

I was a bit confused at the time as to whether this was supposed to be a fan-run event similar to Game Show Congress or if this was supposed to be the Fan Expo equivalent for game shows (i.e., done for the dollars and not for the love of the thing, as the wording seemed to make it sound that it would be traveling to multiple locations; and I wouldn't expect fans alone to be able to undertake such an effort if the primary goal isn't making money).  I was not there to tell, but it seems like it was closer to the former.  That would be a good thing, at least according to those I've known who've attended more "cons" than I ever have, who say the fan-run ones are better than the corporate-run ones in terms of fun.

The most difficult part, as I see it, in making such an event a draw to the fandom is the difficulty in getting star power because, well, so many of the stars (at least of the classic game show era) are now dead.

Though the other con feature I see absent (though somebody correct me if I'm just missing it on the schedule somehow) are screening rooms to watch the classics.  If you can make a part of this event like a day at the Paley Center or the UCLA Archive by getting to see rarities, that, I think, would push several people around here to go.  Certainly if the mainstream fan conventions are doing this kind of thing, there should be a way to iron out the wrinkles so that, yes, they could put one of those tapes of the original Sale of the Century that UCLA has on the big screen in a room legally for people to watch, right?
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second