Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Timeless" game shows  (Read 398 times)

SamJ93

"Timeless" game shows
« on: April 23, 2024, 08:12:48 PM »
I was watching some Catch 21 on Game Show Central earlier today, and was struck by how it still felt like a show that premiered recently, even though the eps. in question first aired over a decade ago. Outside of the occasional question about "Vice President Biden" or similar, there really isn't anything in terms of set design, technology, or wardrobe that dates it to the late '00s/early '10s.

Is this a legit testament to how well-produced the show was, or just a sign that I'm getting old? And are there any other game shows that give you a similar surprise in terms of feeling like they were made in the last few years, even though they're actually much older?
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Kevin Prather

Re: "Timeless" game shows
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 08:27:45 PM »
I think it means more that game shows haven't changed in appearance much in the last fifteen years. 2006 or so was probably when game shows started slowly getting away from the Millionaire-style sets and bringing more color back into play, even while maintaining a little darkness.

BrandonFG

Re: "Timeless" game shows
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 08:39:10 PM »
I really wish I could remember where I read this, but it’s a weird rhyme and reason to why there’s no huge difference in aesthetics over the last 15 years. I think that explains a lot. I’ll see what I can find.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!