Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Museum of Broadcast Communications  (Read 1507 times)

beatlefreak84

Museum of Broadcast Communications
« on: March 14, 2004, 11:02:09 PM »
Hello there,

I'm sure this question has been asked before (perhaps by me!), but I have a really bad short-term memory when it comes to this type of stuff, and since it is finally possible for me to get to the MBC in Chicago, I'm wondering about their library.

I do recall that you can view shows from their collection, but their collection is independent of the museums in NYC and Cali.  So, there are some questions I have for anyone who can answer them:

1.  Do they have game shows in their collection?  If so, are there any rarities or "must-sees?"

2.  Is there a viewing fee independent of admission (like a per-show fee or a day fee)?

3.  Do they, like the museums mentioned above, have archived collections from which requests can be made?  If so, are there any shows from there worth requesting?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these for me because this could definitely make a fun visit to Chi-Town!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

cyberjoek

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 11:18:33 PM »
You can view their whole collection at their website:
http://www.museum.tv/
-Joe Kavanagh

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 01:12:08 AM »
While you can go to their website and find all you need, I'll answer your questions.

1. Do they have game shows in their collection? If so, are there any rarities or "must-sees?"
Yes.  I personally liked the 1st syndie J! and WOFs myself.  I saw an episode of Fandango, LMAD '84 and Scrabble.

2. Is there a viewing fee independent of admission (like a per-show fee or a day fee)?
No.

3. Do they, like the museums mentioned above, have archived collections from which requests can be made? If so, are there any shows from there worth requesting?
From what I understand, no.  What you see is what you get.

Brandon Brooks

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 08:52:23 AM »
Bruce Dumont, the museum's director, is related to the famous DuMont network clan, so tv runs in his veins. It was there I finally got to see an episode of DOWN YOU GO, a panel game version of Wheel Of Fortune, and I hope to return soon to see some other vintage shows. To the best of my knowledge, there is only one episode of DYG available for purchase, and the time frame must have been right around the time of the museum's episode, as both had Larraine Day, unless she was a frequent visitor. I'm pretty sure she was referred to as a special guest.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 08:56:08 AM by The Ol' Guy »

tomobrien

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 11:47:50 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Mar 14 2004, 10:02 PM\']
Thanks to anyone who can answer these for me because this could definitely make a fun visit to Chi-Town!

Anthony[/quote]
Don't plan it for anytime soon--the Museum is closed to the public until 2005 as it moves into its new digs in River North.