Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Price's new studio & April 1st show  (Read 2208 times)

Mr. Brown

Price's new studio & April 1st show
« on: April 01, 2024, 04:41:57 PM »
The show just posted this behind the scenes clip from the April Fools show on its Instagram.

Around the 00:19 mark, you see her pass an 'area' where Drew is hanging out prior to the show. Did he lose his special dressing room at the new studio? I remember that being a huge point of contention (so much so that Roger repeatedly brought it up in his post-firing interviews) at Studio 33.
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

Jeremy Nelson

Re: Price's new studio & April 1st show
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 05:42:10 PM »
The show just posted this behind the scenes clip from the April Fools show on its Instagram.

Around the 00:19 mark, you see her pass an 'area' where Drew is hanging out prior to the show. Did he lose his special dressing room at the new studio? I remember that being a huge point of contention (so much so that Roger repeatedly brought it up in his post-firing interviews) at Studio 33.

I'll defer to someone who's been to a taping, but I'd presume there are stopdowns when it makes more sense for Drew to have a seat backstage rather than go hang out in his dressing room. Maybe this is right before the show intro?

Also, what was so special about Drew's Studio 33 dressing room ? While he surely has needs, he doesn't strike me as a person who would need or want a "special" dressing room unles absolutely warranted.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 06:56:29 PM »
You can see the Big Wheel on the monitor next to Drew. He's waiting backstage while they set up for the Showcase Showdowns.

(Which means that that shot in the Instagram video was taken after the April Fools' moment, even though the video is pretending it took place beforehand.)

Also, what was so special about Drew's Studio 33 dressing room ? While he surely has needs, he doesn't strike me as a person who would need or want a "special" dressing room unles absolutely warranted.

I don't know the why of it, but instead of Drew using the dressing room that Barker (and all the other hosts who hosted shows in Studio 33) used, two of the smaller dressing rooms along an adjacent hallway were converted into one larger space for Drew.

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 11:55:03 AM »
You can see the Big Wheel on the monitor next to Drew. He's waiting backstage while they set up for the Showcase Showdowns.

(Which means that that shot in the Instagram video was taken after the April Fools' moment, even though the video is pretending it took place beforehand.)

I don't know the why of it, but instead of Drew using the dressing room that Barker (and all the other hosts who hosted shows in Studio 33) used, two of the smaller dressing rooms along an adjacent hallway were converted into one larger space for Drew.

Roger commented that Drew's dressing room is the size of a small apartment. Drew wanted his own dressing room, it was a condition. He had other demands that he honestly didn't think CBS would find reasonable (For example, being hired with no audition) but CBS accommodated him all the way. To think, Bob was on TV for 50 years and had no problems at all using a dressing room also used by other talents as you mentioned, Scott. Maybe Bob saw it as an honor to use the same room that Jack Benny and Red Skelton probably used.

cmjb13

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 12:58:01 PM »

Roger commented that Drew's dressing room is the size of a small apartment. Drew wanted his own dressing room, it was a condition. He had other demands that he honestly didn't think CBS would find reasonable (For example, being hired with no audition) but CBS accommodated him all the way. To think, Bob was on TV for 50 years and had no problems at all using a dressing room also used by other talents as you mentioned, Scott. Maybe Bob saw it as an honor to use the same room that Jack Benny and Red Skelton probably used.

Rich Fields originally used Rod’s dressing room which I believe was across the hall from Barker’s

Rich was then moved to one of the upstairs dressing rooms (I believe Dian’s old room). On one of my last trips, he showed me and Chris C. his dressing room and was pitching an idea for a new game show or game show app.

Was Rich’s relocation because his old dressing room was renovated for Drew?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 01:44:08 PM »
You’re right that Rich’s (Rod’s) dressing room was directly across from Barker’s.

The room that was renovated for Drew was off the back hallway behind the production area that lead to the roof.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 05:36:02 PM »
A wall was taken down from the Rod/Rich dressing room, which was combined with the green room to make the green room larger.

I never saw that space in its dressing room form, so I don't know how big each room was, nor do I know when the change happened or why.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 11:53:30 PM »
A wall was taken down from the Rod/Rich dressing room, which was combined with the green room to make the green room larger.

I never saw that space in its dressing room form, so I don't know how big each room was, nor do I know when the change happened or why.

Are you referring to the size of Rod/Rich's dressing room? It was...not large.

On the subject of Barker's home being virtually "untouched" for decades, I was always somewhat amused that his CBS dressing room was also quite "dated." I recognize that the room was used for a variety of stars who were taping in 33 (not just for Barker), but it gave me a 1980s cruise ship vibe.

inturnaround

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2024, 01:15:54 PM »

I think Drew's agent asked for the world and CBS happily gave it to him. It doesn't mean he's a bad person that his agent asked for it. CBS could have said no. But they didn't.

And yeah, Bob was on the air for 50 years and he probably had no idea what he could have asked for and gotten. Or he was comfortable and he liked what he had. Either way, there's no evidence that he asked for more than what he received and was denied as far as I can tell. Why the heck should Drew Carey's contract negotiations be bound by what Bob had? No agent worth their salt would agree to that stricture. They are there to be zealous advocates for their clients. Drew's did their job.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Mike Tennant

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2024, 03:25:25 PM »
I think Drew's agent asked for the world and CBS happily gave it to him. It doesn't mean he's a bad person that his agent asked for it. CBS could have said no. But they didn't.
Later in the run of Squares, Peter Marshall routinely made what he termed "outrageous" salary demands in hopes that H-Q and/or NBC would reject them so he could use that as an excuse to leave the show. They never did, of course. It's possible that since Drew, as he has admitted, wasn't particularly interested in hosting TPIR, he employed a similar strategy ... and got similar results.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 01:49:01 PM by Mike Tennant »

inturnaround

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2024, 10:55:53 AM »
Later in the run of Squares, Peter Marshall routinely made what he termed "outrageous" salary demands in hopes that H-Q and/or NBC would reject them so he could use that as an excuse to leave the show. They never did, of course. It's possible that since Drew, as he has admitted, wasn't particularly interested in hosting TPIR, he employed a similar strategy ... and got similar results.

Maybe that's what happened. Either way, it's not an affront to Bob Barker that Drew asked for the money or perks he did and got them and only those who are sour grapes (*cough* Roger) or who don't like Drew for other reasons would think or suggest otherwise. It's show business, isn't it? Let's not pretend otherwise.
Joe Coughlin     
Human