Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Current run LMAD question  (Read 2291 times)

whewfan

Current run LMAD question
« on: March 31, 2024, 04:58:51 AM »
I haven't seen much of the current run lately, but I've noticed that the contestants are now given hand mikes, and that disturbs me. Has Wayne Brady gotten too lazy to use his own mike to talk to the contestants? Is it some stupid covid thing? For me, it takes away the legitimacy of the contestants. I suppose by holding a hand mike, it would restrict a very excitable contestant from getting too close to Wayne.

However, there's also a chance of injury to the host, if anyone ever saw that episode of Family Challenge where Ray Combs lets a little girl hold his hand mike. She had to figure out a puzzle, and she got so excited, she threw back the microphone, hitting Ray right in the forehead. Ray shows his bleeding forehead to the cameras, and later quips he should've listened to Bob Barker's advice to NEVER let the contestant have the microphone.

curtking

Re: Current run LMAD question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 05:33:57 AM »
Has Wayne Brady gotten too lazy to use his own mike to talk to the contestants?

SMDH.

Why would that be your first thought?

I don't give a rat arse what you think about the current LMAD, "lazy" is a word I would never apply to Wayne Brady.

chrisholland03

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 09:33:15 AM »
I mean this observation has to be the hotest of hot takes.

and that disturbs me.

Disturbance noted.  I would recommend stepping away from the keyboard and getting some sunshine.

SamJ93

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 09:36:40 AM »
I mean this entire diatribe has to be the hotest of hot takes.

But how else is he supposed to segue into some arcane trivia about a completely unrelated show?
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

chrisholland03

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 10:24:11 AM »
I mean this entire diatribe has to be the hotest of hot takes.

But how else is he supposed to segue into some arcane trivia about a completely unrelated show?

Full disclosure - I toned down from 'diatribe' as it was unfair to true diatribes

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 12:08:16 PM »
I haven't seen much of the current run lately, but I've noticed that the contestants are now given hand mikes, and that disturbs me. Has Wayne Brady gotten too lazy to use his own mike to talk to the contestants? Is it some stupid covid thing? For me, it takes away the legitimacy of the contestants.
Why? What is less legitimate about contestants if Wayne uses a clip mike instead of some other kind?

I suppose by holding a hand mike, it would restrict a very excitable contestant from getting too close to Wayne.
Why? How?

However, there's also a chance of injury to the host, if anyone ever saw that episode of Family Challenge where Ray Combs lets a little girl hold his hand mike. She had to figure out a puzzle, and she got so excited, she threw back the microphone, hitting Ray right in the forehead. Ray shows his bleeding forehead to the cameras, and later quips he should've listened to Bob Barker's advice to NEVER let the contestant have the microphone.
What does this have to do with anything?

Matt, do you understand that this sort of thing makes you sound unhinged or a complete nimrod? Why a certain host uses a particular microphone might be as easy as "that's what he prefers" or "it is the best one for the task". The fact that you're impugning Wayne as a host puts you in a bad light. (As much as I don't like what the show has become with Wayne at the helm. I can respect the fact that he has had the job that long, and is an accomplished performer elsewhere.)

Is there a voice somewhere inside saying "this might go badly for me?" because you have an innate ability to step after rake after rake around these parts and never take the step back to understand why things play out the same way over and ofver.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 12:13:51 PM »
Clearly it’s because LMAD is a talk show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2024, 01:47:40 PM »
Just in time for the Elite Eight, I am making a bracket so people can vote for their favorite Matt Kaiser GSF post.

/The winner, however, won’t be one shining moment.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 02:06:42 PM by Dbacksfan12 »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2024, 02:26:18 PM »
Just in time for the Elite Eight, I am making a bracket so people can vote for their favorite Matt Kaiser GSF post.
Actually, it would be the Delete Eight.

Casey Buck

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2024, 02:45:06 PM »
/The winner, however, won’t be one shining moment.

The mouse is clicked
And there you are
You're typing for your life
You're a forum star

And all the years
No one knows
Just how bad you look
But now it shows...

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2024, 02:55:54 PM »
I know I’m kicking a hornets nest here, but how does a contestant getting their own mic hurt the legitimacy? I will admit the social distancing looks a bit odd in 2024 but maybe the crew decided the average viewer wouldn’t notice or care because it’s not a big deal (no pun intended).

Giving each contestant a lav mic would be time consuming because of all the stopdowns necessary. Mic’g them in advance kills any spontaneity, so just do what they’re doing now.

I mean this with all sincerity, Matt. Where do you get these ideas? Something like this would cross my mind for about three seconds and then I move on with my life.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2024, 04:54:12 PM »
I know I’m kicking a hornets nest here, but how does a contestant getting their own mic hurt the legitimacy? I will admit the social distancing looks a bit odd in 2024 but maybe the crew decided the average viewer wouldn’t notice or care because it’s not a big deal (no pun intended).
I had commented about it at the start of the season and mostly chalked it up to there being more people. It's one thing to wire up a couple dozen people (as we've seen in various DOND permutations), it's another to do it for 100+.

This was likely the most efficient solution, especially since Chris Ahearn was doing already doing admin on the floor as it was.
This signature is currently under construction.

whewfan

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2024, 05:30:55 PM »
Okay, let me try to explain things... apparently some on here are misinterpreting what I am trying to say...

There was NOTHING wrong with Wayne using his mike to talk to the contestants. Why change that?! Is Wayne more afraid of being hurt? Is it a covid thing? The hand mike is a shield. As long as the contestant's hands are on the mike, they cannot be waving around or acting crazy if they feel they need to, and they cannot hurt Wayne. (Unless they accidentally throw the mike out of their hands in excitement, which was my poorly stated point recalling what happened to Ray Combs on Family Challenge.) 

To me, it looks like the contestants act more like performers with the hand mikes. That's what I meant by legitimacy. Call me old fashioned... (everyone in this group says in unison "You're OLD FASHIONED!") but I want contestants that are real people, and not ones that look too comfortable holding a hand mike.

chrisholland03

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2024, 05:57:13 PM »
Okay, let me try to explain things... apparently some on here are misinterpreting what I am trying to say...

I'll be charitable and take one on the chin here.   The best thing you could do to excise yourself from this position is...

and that disturbs me.

Explain why you feel this way

Has Wayne Brady gotten too lazy to use his own mike to talk to the contestants? Is it some stupid covid thing? For me, it takes away the legitimacy of the contestants.

Explain why you feel this way

If you go through this exercise, I hope you'll see why you're getting the reaction to your posts that you're getting.  Or maybe help us understand where you're coming from and build some support for your positioning.  Blaming your readers for being frustrated with unsupported and quite inflamatory statements is not helping your cause.

BTW - the response you gave was semi-rational, but it didn't address either of the two statements above that folks are reacting to

« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 06:16:52 PM by chrisholland03 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2024, 06:40:36 PM »

There was NOTHING wrong with Wayne using his mike to talk to the contestants. Why change that?! Is Wayne more afraid of being hurt? Is it a covid thing? The hand mike is a shield. As long as the contestant's hands are on the mike, they cannot be waving around or acting crazy if they feel they need to, and they cannot hurt Wayne. (Unless they accidentally throw the mike out of their hands in excitement, which was my poorly stated point recalling what happened to Ray Combs on Family Challenge.) 

To me, it looks like the contestants act more like performers with the hand mikes. That's what I meant by legitimacy. Call me old fashioned... (everyone in this group says in unison "You're OLD FASHIONED!") but I want contestants that are real people, and not ones that look too comfortable holding a hand mike.
I went through a couple clips earlier to see how much interaction happens. I was kinda surprised that no one hugged or dapped up Wayne after winning, but I figured it’s just ingrained in our heads to have minimal contact. The new normal. Me personally, my brain still does a quick hesitation when I decide whether to shake someone’s hand or fist bump. I don’t think contestants look artificial or anything, and in all fairness you have to have a little personality to be on these shows so that might explain why they look so comfortable. I wouldn’t lose much sleep over it.

I’ll admit it threw me for a loop to see J! contestants hug and/or shake hands after recent matches.