Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Toon In With Me April 9  (Read 1958 times)

gameboy2000

Toon In With Me April 9
« on: March 30, 2024, 05:19:05 PM »
For those who have METV, The April 9th episode of Toon in With me will be about the history of game shows. It will be on at 7:00 am Eastern Time.
gameboy2000.weebly.com

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Toon In With Me April 9
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 09:37:31 AM »
The history of game shows, as told by a series of cartoons.

I can’t think of too many cartoons that had a specific game show theme to them. Can anybody?

(Keep in mind that Toon In With Me, for those unfamiliar, airs a lot of the classic stuff that we used to see in some syndication packages from when we were kids, such as the classic Looney Tunes, the Famous Studios productions like Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, Tom & Jerry, etc.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Mike Tennant

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 11:09:19 AM »
Three that immediately came to mind:
  • The Ducksters (1950), in which Daffy Duck hosts Truth or AAAHHH!! with Porky Pig as a contestant
  • People Are Bunny (1959), in which Daffy is a contestant on People Are Phoney starring Art Lamplighter
  • Wideo Wabbit (1956), which parodies several TV shows including You Bet Your Life (as You Beat Your Wife, with Bugs as Groucho)

nowhammies10

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 12:05:09 PM »
The Flintstones also did a great parody of Cullen-era Price is Right with Barney appearing as a contestant on the show.

PPatters

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 12:07:27 PM »
The Flintstones also did a great parody of Cullen-era Price is Right with Barney appearing as a contestant on the show.

They also had a 70s television special (The Flintstones Meet Rockula and Frankenstone) that had a parody of Let’s Make a Deal.
Patrick

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 12:38:14 PM »

I remember that episode,  Barney says he wants to put in his two cents.  They take that as his bid.   Don't want to spoil 50 year old cartoon.   But you know Price is Right you can guess what happened.

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 02:56:24 PM »

I remember that episode,  Barney says he wants to put in his two cents.  They take that as his bid.   Don't want to spoil 50 year old cartoon.   But you know Price is Right you can guess what happened.

They called the TPIR parody show, "The Prize Is Priced".

steveleb

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 03:10:08 PM »
And do notice that Smiling Will Carson does not take a step while the “camera” is on him.  Applause to the Hanna-Barbera team for attention to detail.

Wonder how he drove?

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 09:44:17 PM »
I can’t think of too many cartoons that had a specific game show theme to them. Can anybody?
During the pandemic, some friends, many of whom are on this board, went through and created an extensive list of black game show hosts. We took an educated guess, then quickly found out the actual number was about triple what we were thinking. Suffice to say, there are a lot more game show parodies/episodes of cartoons than one might assume- wasn't there a page at one point that clocked all of the appearances that game shows made as a plot on other shows?

That said, my favorite was when Pinky and the Brain went on Gyparody.

Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Nick

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 09:47:04 PM »
And do notice that Smiling Will Carson does not take a step while the “camera” is on him.  Applause to the Hanna-Barbera team for attention to detail.

Probably helped that was entirely consistent with H-B's "limited animation" budget.

And unless my knowledge of geology is that bad, was "Smiling Will Carson" is only time The Flintstones writers didn't even bother to try a rock-inspired take on a name (not that they were very creative with many of said names by just shoehorning stone or rock or the like into a name)?
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 09:42:06 AM »
Top Cat had an episode with a takeoff of Queen for a Day called King for a Day.

If we're not limiting this to classic cartoons, Family Guy and its cutaways and random pop culture jokes could fill several pages.  On top of that, there was an A-plot with Peter Griffin winning on Wheel of Fortune.  There's also THAT episode of South Park where Randy Marsh goes on Wheel.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 03:53:25 PM »
Suffice to say, there are a lot more game show parodies/episodes of cartoons than one might assume- wasn't there a page at one point that clocked all of the appearances that game shows made as a plot on other shows?
I can’t think of the guy’s name to save my life, but I wanna say it was Fiesta Jon. Granted that was 20+ years ago so I’m sure we could add several entries. Mike’s FG example alone could prolly be its own page.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 04:04:44 PM »
I recently rewatched the "2 Stupid Dogs" take off on PiR featuring Casey Kasem as host. Let's just say it was a lot funnier the first time I saw it when I was nine or so.

steveleb

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 04:30:58 PM »
Didn’t Peter’s bonus round letters include two qs, the number 4 and the Batman symbol?

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 07:04:19 PM »
Family Guy and its cutaways and random pop culture jokes could fill several pages.  On top of that, there was an A-plot with Peter Griffin winning on Wheel of Fortune.
There's also an A plot of them appearing on Dawson Family Feud, of all places.

One of my favorite things that I think all of you would appreicate- just about every Jeopardy cutaway uses a different version of the show's set.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.