Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR: New studio details  (Read 42808 times)

Nick

Re: TPIR: New studio details
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2023, 08:06:28 AM »
Isn't everything colorless when the electricity's off in a room without windows? ;)

Not when your colours come from paint instead of lights.

I do not understand how you are not getting this...the audiences have changed. people have changed. Its still a novelty for some to go to the show, but for many- not so much. The live audience, much like the watching audience and ratings, are down but still up at the top because things have changed. The show adjusted accordingly. Its not really a bad thing.

And I do not understand why me having an opinion to the contrary about how I would like to see the show produced (not speaking of which way to produce the show makes the most sense financially) is such a problem for you.  I get that things have changed, and I get that the production company and the network are going to cater to audience trends.  They have their preferences, and I have mine.  Theirs is the one that ultimately gets on the air.

They're also limiting the tickets as best as they can because they don't want to have to turn people away. If I traveled 3000 miles across the country with what I thought were tickets to the show only to get turned away because I showed up at the time on the ticket and not 17 hours beforehand, I think I'd be a little more than disappointed.

I agree that going to the taping with a ticket that guarantees admission is probably something preferred by everybody, but my point was that historically demand for tickets always outstripped supply of available seats by a huge margin.  It says to me that if they believe 170 seats is now sufficient, then not too many people are being turned away in the sense that they wanted to get tickets but couldn't (for I guess if they were, they would be snapped up in seconds upon becoming available).  A quick check of the website as I write this shows plenty of tickets available for upcoming tapings in 2.5 weeks and beyond, so if you're not getting even 170 people clamouring for tickets each day anymore, then it's a sad reality that people have lost interest in attending the show in person (a trend that started before they reduced the audience size).  I suppose you could surmise various reasons reasons for that (I'd like to know how much of it is the compressed taping schedule where they're trying to fit in three shows a day and the simple fact there are fewer calendar days now on which you can attend a taping).

The show hasn't acknowledged the old-timey and super outdated specific phrasing that Barker used in many years. They did however do a primetime special in February where they invited 20 "superfans" including yours truly. Superfan is now the show sanctioned title. It's also a phrase that makes sense at first glance and doesn't need to be explained every time it gets abbreviated.

No offense, but this seems unreasonably harsh towards a term that was organically developed as a result of the show's longevity, and really, it surprises me a bit that the new regime never attempted to capitalize on this in official merchandise such as t-shirts and the like.  Superfan is pretty generic, but "loyal friend and true" was a term unique to Price.

You nurse your wounds and make the best out of a bad situation... My point is that 15 years is way too long to let that firing live rent free in his head.

Agreed, but I what I surmise could be part of the reason for the strong resentment all these years later is that nothing more has come along, and likely nothing ever would for a producer near retirement age.  One might say he should never have expected anything to "come along" (whether he actually did or not, I don't know) and to be more enterprising, and I agree.  If you want a job, you do what you can do get one; but if nobody wants anymore what you're selling, then you either sell something else or give up.  He doesn't appear to be starving by having taken the latter, but it was an ending without closure.  His career did not end on a positive note, and I think that's what's bothering him more than anything else.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

trainman

« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2023, 01:28:24 AM »
A quick check of the website as I write this shows plenty of tickets available for upcoming tapings in 2.5 weeks and beyond, so if you're not getting even 170 people clamouring for tickets each day anymore, then it's a sad reality that people have lost interest in attending the show in person (a trend that started before they reduced the audience size).  I suppose you could surmise various reasons reasons for that (I'd like to know how much of it is the compressed taping schedule where they're trying to fit in three shows a day and the simple fact there are fewer calendar days now on which you can attend a taping).

Just as a singular data point/anecdote, there were at least 50 people with "line voucher" tickets who didn't make it into the first taping on Friday, September 22nd. (There did seem to be a good number of people who got to use the "priority" line, but I didn't count the number of people ahead of me in the "line voucher" line.) They were being promised "priority" tickets for future tapings, including the ones later that day, but I obviously have no idea how many of them took advantage of that.
trainman is a man of trains

Jsach

« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2023, 11:01:19 AM »
No offense, but this seems unreasonably harsh towards a term that was organically developed as a result of the show's longevity, and really, it surprises me a bit that the new regime never attempted to capitalize on this in official merchandise such as t-shirts and the like.  Superfan is pretty generic, but "loyal friend and true" was a term unique to Price.

No offense taken, I probably was being a little harsh to the term. I never cared for it, even way back when. I know some people latched on to it, but I just never got it. LFaT never read well to me. Saying "I'm a Superfan of The Price is Right" is a lot clearer for someone not in the fandom than "I'm a Loyal Friend and True" especially now since the show hasn't used it in years. They have however used Superfan earlier this year, and will be using it again for a Jr. Superfan primetime episode later this season.

Just as a singular data point/anecdote, there were at least 50 people with "line voucher" tickets who didn't make it into the first taping on Friday, September 22nd. (There did seem to be a good number of people who got to use the "priority" line, but I didn't count the number of people ahead of me in the "line voucher" line.) They were being promised "priority" tickets for future tapings, including the ones later that day, but I obviously have no idea how many of them took advantage of that.

This matches a lot with what I've heard. There are probably 50 or so "priority" tickets given out that will guarantee entry and then another 250 or so "line vouchers" that won't guarantee entry, but if you get turned away they will work as hard as possible to either get you in to the next show taping that day or the next day. So even if you can snag a ticket online now that doesn't mean the taping isn't full and you should still get there early (around 5:45am for the 8am arrival time) to get in, but you don't have to show up at 6pm the night before anymore.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2023, 06:21:00 PM »
A quick check of the website as I write this shows plenty of tickets available for upcoming tapings in 2.5 weeks and beyond, so if you're not getting even 170 people clamouring for tickets each day anymore, then it's a sad reality that people have lost interest in attending the show in person (a trend that started before they reduced the audience size).  I suppose you could surmise various reasons reasons for that (I'd like to know how much of it is the compressed taping schedule where they're trying to fit in three shows a day and the simple fact there are fewer calendar days now on which you can attend a taping).
Bob Barker was a legend and I surmise that turnout to the show would be low no matter who had taken over the show, either in the host role or the producer role. You also have to take into account that a pandemic just happened and while there is certainly interest in getting back out there, I’d guess it would still take time to see numbers return to pre-pandemic levels. And having just moved, they don’t have time to wait for that to happen. Speaking of moving, unfortunately they had to move from their iconic location located at bustling intersection. Any place they’d move to would be a downgrade, but where they are is definitely a significant departure from where they were and could be a turnoff. They certainly won’t be getting many people walking in off the street. There’s just so many stacked up factors that the days of waiting on the street for two days won’t be coming back. It is a little sad, but I’m happy that there’s the energy of a crowd of people sitting side by side back, even if it’s not 300 people.

No offense taken, I probably was being a little harsh to the term. I never cared for it, even way back when. I know some people latched on to it, but I just never got it. LFaT never read well to me. Saying "I'm a Superfan of The Price is Right" is a lot clearer for someone not in the fandom than "I'm a Loyal Friend and True" especially now since the show hasn't used it in years. They have however used Superfan earlier this year, and will be using it again for a Jr. Superfan primetime episode later this season.

It doesn’t read well because it’s old timey phrasing, which makes sense since it was coined by someone who almost turned 100. Kinda like saying “he’s a good man, through and through.” I think what was nice about it was that it was a unique way to refer to the fan base. If Star Trek can have Trekkies, Gaga can have Monsters, and Wheel can have Wheel Watchers, then it was a nice term to have specifically for Price fans. Superfans is easier to say, but it’s generic. I liked just having it be shortened to its initials and saying it that way (“L-Fat”).

For the record though, I have no problem with the show using Superfans and not using LFAT. It didn’t pass over when Bob left and that’s okay. It would be nice to come up something unique at some point, but these things rarely catch on if you try to force them. Plinkoheads, the “Tee-Purs” (TPIR), Double Pricers?
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BrandonFG

« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2023, 06:31:25 PM »
It doesn’t read well because it’s old timey phrasing, which makes sense since it was coined by someone who almost turned 100. Kinda like saying “he’s a good man, through and through.”
For the longest time I couldn't figure out why the phrase bugged me, and I kept wondering what the hell the "and true" part meant. This is the most logical explanation.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2023, 08:45:48 PM »
It doesn’t read well because it’s old timey phrasing, which makes sense since it was coined by someone who almost turned 100. Kinda like saying “he’s a good man, through and through.”
For the longest time I couldn't figure out why the phrase bugged me, and I kept wondering what the hell the "and true" part meant. This is the most logical explanation.

"Loyal Friend And True" sounds like a line from some high school's Alma Mater...

BrandonFG

« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2023, 09:15:38 PM »

"Loyal Friend And True" sounds like a line from some high school's Alma Mater...
From the year 1949. :P

/I totally hear it
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

aaron sica

« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2023, 10:23:47 PM »

Considering that the opening lyrics of mine were "always faithful, always true" this is very much on point.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2023, 01:33:41 AM »

For years I thought he was saying "a loyal friend in true," as if to say "in truth, he is a loyal friend." When I finally saw it written, I thought it was even clunkier sounding.

Incidentally, his use of the phrase goes back to Truth or Consequences:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 07:36:48 AM by SuperMatch93 »
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Bob Zager

« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2023, 11:39:36 AM »
While talking about the new studio and new season, I wanted to ask fellows opinions about the Grocery Game.

I have mixed feelings about the old-fashioned rotary NCR brand cash register, still being used after 50+ years.  Should they retain it, or maybe use a more modern day register, maybe even just have a video screen simulating the look of current day registers?

Mr. Brown

« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2023, 11:41:25 AM »
I have mixed feelings about the old-fashioned rotary NCR brand cash register, still being used after 50+ years.  Should they retain it, or maybe use a more modern day register, maybe even just have a video screen simulating the look of current day registers?

I can't see the show replacing it anytime soon unless it just becomes impossible to repair. Numerous staffers on the show, including Roger, had a superstition that the show would be cancelled if they got rid of the damn thing. I would imagine that belief probably still rings true among people that are still with the show.
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2023, 11:52:14 AM »
Should they retain it, or maybe use a more modern day register
So the contestant would have to operate it?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2023, 11:56:15 AM »

<win>
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2023, 12:10:36 PM »
The show would never have a budget issue again.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2023, 01:29:06 PM »
Bob Barker was a legend and I surmise that turnout to the show would be low no matter who had taken over the show, either in the host role or the producer role. You also have to take into account that a pandemic just happened and while there is certainly interest in getting back out there, I’d guess it would still take time to see numbers return to pre-pandemic levels. And having just moved, they don’t have time to wait for that to happen. Speaking of moving, unfortunately they had to move from their iconic location located at bustling intersection. Any place they’d move to would be a downgrade, but where they are is definitely a significant departure from where they were and could be a turnoff. They certainly won’t be getting many people walking in off the street. There’s just so many stacked up factors that the days of waiting on the street for two days won’t be coming back. It is a little sad, but I’m happy that there’s the energy of a crowd of people sitting side by side back, even if it’s not 300 people.
There are a few other elements too:

1. Being on TV doesn't have the same kind of hold it used to.
2. Fittingly, prices of everyday items have gone up. Many people just don't have the disposable income to take a trip like this like they once did.
3. I'd argue that without the Happy Gilmore role, Price has a different energy by 2005.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.