Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Picture in a Hollywood Reporter article  (Read 3039 times)

Bob Zager

Picture in a Hollywood Reporter article
« on: July 01, 2023, 12:54:07 PM »
When you click the following link, you'll see Allen Ludden on the set of 70s Password which leads me to some mysterious thoughts:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/GettyImages-463539200-H-2023.jpg?w=1296&h=730&crop=1

IIRC, I had asked some time ago as to what that prop sticking up from Allen's stand was (like did it hold his master copy of the word in play, and maybe magnify it?), You can see a water pitcher and what I believe are drinking glasses for celebrities/contestants.  There is prop that reminds of the "magic toaster" from SP, which I think was a backup for "Betting Word" in case the mechanical prop didn't work. 

I also wonder why the gap at the top of the stairs. 

I think I would've preferred the same padded seats from the original series, rather than the woodgrain looking ones shown.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Re: Picture in a Hollywood Reporter article
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 05:48:04 AM »
The piece in Allen's lectern is not a prop; it's just a piece of the set.

How were the passwords dealt to the players in this version? That protuberance could be some kind of chute which delivered three copies of the password to Allen, c.f. original Match Game. This way he wouldn't have to turn upstage to retrieve the passwords.

Allen used to count his close-ups so that wouldn't surprise me.

calliaume

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 09:30:11 AM »
How were the passwords dealt to the players in this version? That protuberance could be some kind of chute which delivered three copies of the password to Allen, c.f. original Match Game. This way he wouldn't have to turn upstage to retrieve the passwords.
Based on the one episode on YouTube, it looks like that's exactly what he did.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 05:01:47 PM »
At 6:10 in the clip Allen turns to the side to pick up the next password.

It could be that the protuberance is merely a shield where Allen places his copy of the password so the other players can't see it.

trainman

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 11:17:49 PM »
I also wonder why the gap at the top of the stairs.

Isn't that just the division between the set and the background (cyclorama)?
trainman is a man of trains