Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Last Intro to CBS WML?  (Read 2681 times)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
The Last Intro to CBS WML?
« on: June 24, 2023, 05:42:48 PM »
In my never ending hope to see an episode of the CBS versions of What's My Line? or I've Got a Secret in color, I always wondered where Syndicated WML? got the color intro from CBS WML? to use as their intro? Did they have tape/color film of an episode lying around months after the CBS version ended and were like "use that," and then it got lost after they took the intro from that? Or did they have the master/copy of the intro only and used that?

I know there was never any true foresight into these shows being rerun, but it's always been a minor disappointment of mine that not one color episode of either WML or IGAS
(and Cullen Price) was saved and tucked away somewhere, at least that I know of. I'm still hoping that something *is* in fact tucked away somewhere and just waiting to be found.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

SuperMatch93

Re: The Last Intro to CBS WML?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 05:59:46 PM »
To address part of your post, there may be a color IGAS stashed away somewhere according to this from a few years back:

Don't mind me. I'm going to be beating my dead horse to my dying day over the fact that (as far has been aired) no one saved a single color episode of IGAS or WML?, two primetime shows, and yet a handful of daytime TTTT have seen the light of day (which I am grateful for).

If it makes you feel any better, they did save at least one original Moore-era IGAS on videotape, and there are about 350 daytime color TTTTs (and 2 color primetime eps) that I'm sure Buzzr will get to at some point...

- Kevin
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

thomas_meighan

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 06:43:37 PM »
My guess (which is nothing more) is that G-T retained film elements to the animated WML? intro and used them (or a tape copied from them), rather than a tape from the CBS series, when syndicated episodes were produced.

According to post #130 in the following thread, the IGAS reported to survive on tape isn't from the color season but rather April 19, 1961. It would still be nifty to see.
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/whats-my-line-question.330429/page-7

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 09:19:34 PM »
According to post #130 in the following thread, the IGAS reported to survive on tape isn't from the color season but rather April 19, 1961. It would still be nifty to see.

Of course it would be fun for it to turn up, but the kinescope survives and has been shown, so all we would gain is the novelty of the different "look" of videotape, and I think all of us who care pretty much can imagine what that would look like anyway.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2023, 11:52:40 PM »
It'd still be great to see the videotape format of an IGAS for the first time because you not only get better picture but better sound than what you hear on a kinescope where everything is a lot more muffled.

It's amazing that the tapes for nighttime Password were retained from the beginning by contrast.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 04:07:10 AM »
We know that WML? and TTTT were moved from studio 52 to studio 50 (Sullivan theater) which had been converted to color in the '60s.

Did IGAS ever originate from studio 50 prior to 1976?

Studio 52 was converted to color in the '70s for Love of Life, by which time IGAS had vanished from the CBS schedule, save for the four shows airing summer of '76.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 09:29:50 AM »
Did IGAS ever originate from studio 50 prior to 1976?

The final season (66-67), which we know was broadcast in color. 
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.