Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pat Sajak calls it quits after 2023-24 season  (Read 30377 times)

vexer6

Re: Pat Sajak calls it quits after 2023-24 season
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2023, 03:33:23 PM »
Alright glad to see they chose wisely with Seacrest, looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table.

colonial

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2023, 03:32:19 PM »
Bumping this up as it was announced that Vanna White has signed on to stick around with civilian WOF through 2026 ...

https://deadline.com/2023/09/vanna-white-wheel-of-fortune-new-deal-season-41-pat-sajak-1235550608/

SamPrainito

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2023, 04:02:11 PM »
I'm surprised and a little disappointed to hear this.  I love Vanna, but I assumed she'd walk away.

Ryan and Maggie would be a better pair.  Vanna with Ryan gives me a weird "Mrs. Robinson" vibe!

TimK2003

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2023, 07:23:33 PM »
I'm surprised and a little disappointed to hear this.  I love Vanna, but I assumed she'd walk away.

Ryan and Maggie would be a better pair.  Vanna with Ryan gives me a weird "Mrs. Robinson" vibe!

Maggie is still "on the bench" to be future heir to the letterboard as she will be doing a segment entitled Word Of The Day.

Nick

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2023, 09:00:55 PM »

I have no idea of the background.  Is there a reason, aside from Sajak's retirement, that it would even be a question that she would be leaving?  I mean, hey, steady work for 39 days a year and a solid paycheque is practically semi-retirement already.

Vanna with Ryan gives me a weird "Mrs. Robinson" vibe!

I look at it from a continuity point of view.  It's like Drew's first season on Price, which one once aptly described as "some fat guy hosting Bob's show".  If the host had been the only change (instead of the set, the theme, etc.), I'd have stomached that better.  While Wheel hasn't been as static over the last couple of decades as Price was formerly famous for being, keeping the rest of the personnel the same is, in a way, admission to the show's comfort-food status (since syndication is dying, anyway).  It's a long runner because it's a formula that evidently works.  Mix it up as little as possible when inevitable change comes.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

weaklink75

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2023, 09:21:02 PM »
I was thinking one season to ease Ryan in the role and then a farewell season (or maybe that 2nd year she just goes to a consultant role like Pat is doing to help Maggie)

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2023, 10:42:40 PM »

I have no idea of the background.  Is there a reason, aside from Sajak's retirement, that it would even be a question that she would be leaving?  I mean, hey, steady work for 39 days a year and a solid paycheque is practically semi-retirement already.

I look at it from a continuity point of view.  It's like Drew's first season on Price, which one once aptly described as "some fat guy hosting Bob's show".  If the host had been the only change (instead of the set, the theme, etc.), I'd have stomached that better.  While Wheel hasn't been as static over the last couple of decades as Price was formerly famous for being, keeping the rest of the personnel the same is, in a way, admission to the show's comfort-food status (since syndication is dying, anyway).  It's a long runner because it's a formula that evidently works.  Mix it up as little as possible when inevitable change comes.

Good lord, the show is STILL the same. The Theme didnt change, just rerecorded. The set is just as loud and garish as it always has been. 9 contestants, 6 pricing games, showdowns and showcases. Its still comfort food, its been running for 16 years with a new host, a new regular nighttime series, a new legion of fans that dont even remember Bob barker anymore, and clutch the pearls, like Drew Carey. There is literally no reason for you to bring up how much you hate the show now and its contestants and its host in nearly every post.
insert signature here

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2023, 11:30:44 PM »
Imagine how he'll feel when he learns Chuck Woolery doesn't host Wheel anymore.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2023, 12:40:25 AM »

One of Vanna's frequent stock answers she'd give in interviews over the years was that she'd leave when Pat left. So, I also was a little surprised when all this contract mess came up as soon as Pat announced his retirement. My guess is that once Pat decided he was ready to hang it up, Vanna realized that she wasn't. It also sounds like Sony wants Vanna there to ease Ryan into things instead of just a complete reset. Thankfully, unlike the last time Vanna had to take on that transitory role for a departing Pat, Ryan is a much more accomplished and experienced host.

Maggie is still "on the bench" to be future heir to the letterboard as she will be doing a segment entitled Word Of The Day.
You know, I'm still not so sure. I don't know how much of a spoiler it is to report that Vanna had COVID early into the tapings of this season and missed a few days of taping, one of which went ahead as scheduled. Shockingly, instead of putting Maggie in a dress and getting her out there (she was at the studio), the decision was made to instead grab someone else that was there (with zero experience, at least Maggie had some) to do it. And while that someone else made sense, it was still pretty surprising to me that the show wouldn't take the advantage to have Maggie turn letters for her father and turn it into some publicity. Not that the fact that Vanna was absent wasn't publicity enough. It still felt like a stinging indictment.

That someone else: California's Teacher of the Year for the past year, as this was Teacher's Week
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2023, 03:24:23 PM »

Really, you have nothing to worry about.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

nowhammies10

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2023, 08:27:21 AM »

Really, you have nothing to worry about.

Koo koo kachoo!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2023, 07:47:22 AM »
One of Vanna's frequent stock answers she'd give in interviews over the years was that she'd leave when Pat left. So, I also was a little surprised when all this contract mess came up as soon as Pat announced his retirement. My guess is that once Pat decided he was ready to hang it up, Vanna realized that she wasn't.
I imagine it's easy to find a lot more extra energy and passion for your job when you're given a big pay raise.

I also think it's wise for Sony to invest in Vanna, just because I still think her presence is important to the audience. I have no clue the direction or degree to which Ryan will move the needle, but when Vanna leaves I expect the ratings drop to be noticeable.
This signature is currently under construction.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2023, 12:05:50 PM »
My guess is that once Pat decided he was ready to hang it up, Vanna realized that she wasn't.
Anyone who's been around enough retired/soon-to-be retired people knows that as much as they complain about the gig, most of them end up missing the routine and structure it gives to their day. Add to the fact that Wheel is such a cushy, feel-good gig, and it makes sense why sticking to that "retirement pact" would be tough for anybody.

You know, I'm still not so sure...it was still pretty surprising to me that the show wouldn't take the advantage to have Maggie turn letters for her father and turn it into some publicity. Not that the fact that Vanna was absent wasn't publicity enough. It still felt like a stinging indictment.
Anyone who knows me knows that I have been against Maggie's semi-appointment. Not because she can't be good, but because it's so brazen, and it wouldn't surprise me if her father's consultant role is just a means for him to oversee and guarantee her place in a post-Pat Wheel. Considering his successor is likely the most qualified emcee we've seen in years and doesn't need much tutelage, I really don't know what else Pat is supposed to do.

If Maggie doesn't get announced a year in advance like Ryan, it'll be interesting to watch the 2025-26 season play out, since Pat won't be in the background anymore.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Neumms

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2023, 01:40:57 AM »
…it wouldn't surprise me if her father's consultant role is just a means for him to oversee and guarantee her place in a post-Pat Wheel. Considering his successor is likely the most qualified emcee we've seen in years and doesn't need much tutelage, I really don't know what else Pat is supposed to do.

But why would Sony pay Pat a nice big consultant’s fee to tell them to hire his daughter?

nowhammies10

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2023, 09:28:09 AM »
…it wouldn't surprise me if her father's consultant role is just a means for him to oversee and guarantee her place in a post-Pat Wheel. Considering his successor is likely the most qualified emcee we've seen in years and doesn't need much tutelage, I really don't know what else Pat is supposed to do.

But why would Sony pay Pat a nice big consultant’s fee to tell them to hire his daughter?

They're not paying him the consultant's fee to tell them to hire his daughter. They're paying him the consultant's fee to get him to stop taking photos with the likes of Marjorie Taylor-Greene and making political statements on his Twitter account.