Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pat Sajak calls it quits after 2023-24 season  (Read 30380 times)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Re: Pat Sajak calls it quits after 2023-24 season
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2023, 02:34:45 PM »
I've been wondering if his role of Consulting Producer has been actually one with responsibilities or is just an extra title.

Me, too. Seems like a waste of money. It’s the kind of thing a business does if they’re pushing someone out the door or needing to keep them quiet about something.
To be clear, I don't think it's anything sinister. For all we know he could've been doing extra stuff behind the scenes and they decided a couple years ago to formalize it into a title and paycheck.
This signature is currently under construction.

Mr. Brown

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2023, 05:42:29 PM »
Rolf Benirschke is available and has a few more years in him.
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

vexer6

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2023, 06:01:16 PM »
[inflammatory language omitted]

A reminder:

You know how it's generally frowned upon to bring up subjects like politics and religion at the dinner table? The same goes here. If a touchy subject is germane to the conversation, members are welcome to discuss it in an evenhanded, tactful manner. But gratuitous, provocative, or otherwise unnecessary references to contentious topics will not be tolerated.

Whether Sajak's political views were germane to this conversation is up for debate (I'm leaning toward "probably not"), but your posts were unquestionably provocative. Please refrain from gratuitous name-calling.
I fail to see how posting a news story(which makes the case that his viewpoints ARE in fact germaine to the actual conversation) about the man's actual viewpoints and comments is in any way "provocative". Also sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there's no such thing as non-political TV, even for game shows, so it's incorrect to think you can talk about this sort of thing in a non-political manner(as "non-political" as itself a political stance).

One of the points buried in the press release is that Pat is staying on as a consultant for the next three years. Considering how cavalier he's seemed towards hosting the show and his investment in it, this feels like a play to ensure that Maggie is part of the show's succession plans.
Damn that sucks, so that means Sajak will probably pick someone with similar views to him and a similar hosting style so there won't really be a radical change in the show.

Other names I've seen who are interested are Stephen A Smith and Whoopi Goldberg.

I’m also interested, and I bet Rich Fields is, too. Fact is, it‘s a cake job for a bunch of dough. Having seen Rolf Benirschke, we know it takes skill, but the perception would be that it doesn’t.

With a year’s notice, I’m sure they’ll simply announce their choice, but I’d love to see them do public auditions how Jeopardy did. Temp hosts didn’t screw that up, it’s that Sony chose a pig. It’d be a hoot to watch Stephen A. host for a night—only one night, for God’s sake.
I disagree, I think Mayim is a perfectly fine host and i'm kind of baffled at some of the hate she gets, it seems way overblown to me.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2023, 06:11:01 PM »
I fail to see how posting a news story(which makes the case that his viewpoints ARE in fact germaine to the actual conversation) about the man's actual viewpoints and comments is in any way "provocative".

Because, in addition to posting said link, you used the terms "wackjob" (sic) and "right-wing nutjob." It was pretty much all politically charged, and would have likely steered the conversation away from game shows.

Also sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there's no such thing as non-political TV, even for game shows, so it's incorrect to think you can talk about this sort of thing in a non-political manner(as "non-political" as itself a political stance).

It was pretty non-political up until the deleted post(s). And there are multiple ways to discuss those topics without turning up the invective. But I think the thing we're all more interested in is what will Wheel do next, not "what was the previous guy all about."

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2023, 07:15:27 PM »
One of the points buried in the press release is that Pat is staying on as a consultant for the next three years. Considering how cavalier he's seemed towards hosting the show and his investment in it, this feels like a play to ensure that Maggie is part of the show's succession plans.
Damn that sucks, so that means Sajak will probably pick someone with similar views to him and a similar hosting style so there won't really be a radical change in the show.
You do realize Sony has the final say, right? So Pat could suggest Tucker Carlson or someone of that sort and Sony will simply respond “We’ll look into it.”

But also, as far on the other side of the political spectrum as I lie from the man, I’ve never once seen him make any political jabs on “Wheel” so I have no idea why you think he’d bring in someone who thinks like him politically. Just calm down and let the chips fall where they may. We haven’t even gotten into the new season yet and you’re already throwing out conspiracy theories.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2023, 09:53:21 PM »
Has it ever been a good idea for there to be someone telling the admin how to run his forum?

Pat’s political leanings are well known to those of us who pay attention to such things.

And to the best of my knowledge, very few people actually care. And he’s professional enough not to let them spill over into his hosting.

News flash: life goes on. Not everything is going to align with your viewpoint and the world isn’t going to stop for you. You can either choose one way or choose one of several others, and nobody is forcing you to watch Wheel. If Pat Sajak’s political leanings are that much of a problem for you, then so be it. But that’s not necessarily the way others feel.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Bob Zager

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2023, 12:37:59 PM »
It's been discussed on the media all over with less than one week gone by.  Earlier today, a local radio personality mentioned her mother thinking Tom Bergeron would be a good successor.  I don't know, I have mixed feelings myself.

In a somewhat indirect relation, I wonder what it would be like if they do a Celebrity WOF edition featuring former WOF hosts Woolery, Goen and Benerschke playing, and helping bid farewell/best wishes to Pat.  (Probably not likely!)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2023, 01:26:47 PM »
I could see Bergeron working if he was so inclined to do it. But I also don't think it's been an accident that he hasn't worked in awhile (as in it's been his choice to stand back away from the spotlight), so who knows if he'd wanna take that on again?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2023, 09:23:23 PM »
I could see Bergeron working if he was so inclined to do it. But I also don't think it's been an accident that he hasn't worked in awhile (as in it's been his choice to stand back away from the spotlight), so who knows if he'd wanna take that on again?
His signing on for the Tic Tac Dough pilot could be seen as an indication that he's willing to dip his toes back into the well. And this being one of the lightest of gigs with travel benefits, I could see him not exactly objecting to an offer. I feel like a lot of people wouldn't.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2023, 07:37:29 PM »
Love Tom, but he's too old.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

cmjb13

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2023, 08:21:57 PM »
I wonder what it would be like if they do a Celebrity WOF edition featuring former WOF hosts Woolery, Goen and Benerschke playing, and helping bid farewell/best wishes to Pat.  (Probably not likely!)
I love this idea
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Kevin Prather

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2023, 09:44:18 PM »
I wonder what it would be like if they do a Celebrity WOF edition featuring former WOF hosts Woolery, Goen and Benerschke playing, and helping bid farewell/best wishes to Pat.  (Probably not likely!)
I love this idea
I would have loved this idea in the 90s when those versions of WoF were still fresh in people's minds and those three emcees were still mainstream enough (well, two of them anyway).

Today, a vast majority of the audience is going to have no idea who either Rolf Benirschke or Bob Goen are. It's even possible that the Under-25s only know Chuck Woolery as That Guy On Twitter.

colonial

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2023, 10:24:28 PM »
If Vanna is not picked to be the host, I could see her sticking around for another season or two after Pat's departure to ensure a smooth transition from "one generation to the next.'

When Johnny Carson announced he was retiring from "The Tonight Show," there was talk of Ed McMahon sticking around as sidekick for a couple of months to help Jay Leno (I believe McMahon said NBC wanted him to stick around for at least a few months into Leno's permanent tenure, but turned it down because it was Leno's show). I could see Sony thinking something similar with Vanna to keep the fans happy, regardless of who becomes host.

JD

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2023, 10:27:34 PM »
Rolf Benirschke is available and has a few more years in him.

Rosie O'Donnell is still waiting for her chance to take over a game show and turn it into a musical.

Mike Richards is not working AFAIK but he is not what you would call "available".

Neumms

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2023, 01:04:40 PM »
I disagree, I think Mayim is a perfectly fine host and i'm kind of baffled at some of the hate she gets, it seems way overblown to me.

Not that she wows me, but I was referring to Mike Richards.