Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pat Sajak calls it quits after 2023-24 season  (Read 30366 times)

WhammyPower

Casey Buck

Re: Pat Sajak calls it quits after 2023-24 season
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 07:19:28 PM »
End of an era. I presume this means Vanna is leaving as well? Let's hope that Sony learned its lesson from the Mike Richards debacle from Jeopardy.

When you count the daytime version, that'll be 42 1/2 years hosting the same show. That's going be REALLY hard to beat. I don't think Drew Carey has another 25+ years left in him.

How long until "Sajak left Wheel" becomes the new forum meme? /s
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 07:37:37 PM by Casey Buck »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 07:39:23 PM »
Maggie or Jim could take over
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 08:23:40 PM »
Maggie or Jim could take over

Rolf is waiting by his phone with baited breath...

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 08:25:19 PM »
Sajak is one of a very small number of people who can say they've hosted a single show for more than half their lifetime.

whewfan

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 09:42:12 PM »
Would anyone know if Pat has broken Alex Trebek's episode count number? Alex hosted 8244 episodes of Jeopardy!

SamPrainito

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 09:48:46 PM »
How many actual broadcasters are left as the host of an entertainment series, game or otherwise?

The only ones I can think of are Seacrest and Jimmy Kimmel. Everything else seems to be hosted by sitcom stars or comedians.

Sad to think that Pat really is the last of a dying breed.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 10:04:58 PM »
Would anyone know if Pat has broken Alex Trebek's episode count number? Alex hosted 8244 episodes of Jeopardy!
I’m leaning towards yes. The syndicated show celebrated 7,000 episodes in May 2019 so they’ve gotta be close to 8,000. Then add, what…7 years on NBC?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Stackertosh

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2023, 10:09:03 PM »
I am scared to see who's going to replace him.

Hopefully they hold auditions and pick the right host and not someone out of a hat.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2023, 10:19:30 PM »
I totally could be proven wrong, but my initial gut feeling is that the Wheel host search will be a far quieter (and smaller) affair than Jeopardy's nonsense a couple of years ago (albeit nonsense forced out of necessity and producer theatrics). The publicity was great for a time, but long term has backfired with both the Mike scandal AND endless Ken/Mayim debates becoming a distraction and honestly exhausting. And while the show is definitely a bit looser and less built-to-spec under first Mike and now Bellamie than all the years it ran on autopilot under Harry, et. al - it's still a show largely built-to-spec with a notoriously change-averse audience. Based on interviews regarding her brief stint doing Pat's part of the work 3-4 years ago, I don't expect Vanna to "move over."

There was something about that "Jim Thornton Superfan; Hey let's let him host the bonus game!" bit a few months back that definitely felt like a backdoor audition (and IMO he aced it), and I've seen several people talk highly of Clay Aiken's run on the Live tour and he's spoken highly of the experience.  A nice payday for around three dozen days of work without the travel might be appealing to him. I could also see them trying out Maggie, and perhaps doing a handful of "outside" auditions.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2023, 10:21:47 PM »

Hopefully they hold auditions and pick the right host and not someone out of a hat.
It'd be rather poetic to have Maggie host and Nikko attend the board ;D
Seriously though, I have faith that they won't hand off such a long-running television institution to just anyone.
I'm no showbiz expert, but I'd think auditions would be a must to find someone to step into Pat's spot. And Vanna's, when her time comes, although...part of me feels that when she leaves, the need for the co-host will be gone too. The board doesn't need anyone touching it, after all.

I'd be surprised if the hosts of Wheel Live aren't already hovering over the opportunity.
I also loved Bob Goen's chat with Adam on Hosts at Home, and his genuine passion to be a game show host. I'd be happy seeing him give it another go. Wasn't he added to the Wheel Live host rotation, or did I dream reading that somewhere?

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2023, 10:39:17 PM »
I totally could be proven wrong, but my initial gut feeling is that the Wheel host search will be a far quieter (and smaller) affair than Jeopardy's nonsense a couple of years ago (albeit nonsense forced out of necessity and producer theatrics).

I think you're right. As you point out, Jeopardy! needed to continue producing episodes and had no succession plan in place. I anticipate Wheel's process will be similar to what The Price Is Right did in 2007, with all of the auditions and negotiations happening out of the public eye. After all, the show has an entire year before it has to name the next host.

Brian44

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2023, 07:16:52 AM »
Just to clarify:

Chuck *IS* available. Amirite?  :P

tvwxman

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2023, 08:26:30 AM »

I'd be surprised if the hosts of Wheel Live aren't already hovering over the opportunity.

It's partially why TPIR Live was started, right? Personalities that showed serious interest where sent to Vegas to 'audition'.  I had been told years ago that Dave Price's stint in Vegas was....less than spectacular.

I don't see them going to a one-host only....the two, in a distant way, need to feed off of each other. In most other markets around the world - that's kinda the vibe I get.

I don't see Maggie as host. I do see her as letter turner and co-hosting more than Vanna does.

And no, Jim Thornton is not the answer.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Stackertosh

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2023, 10:59:24 AM »

It'd be rather poetic to have Maggie host and Nikko attend the board ;D
Seriously though, I have faith that they won't hand off such a long-running television institution to just anyone.
I'm no showbiz expert, but I'd think auditions would be a must to find someone to step into Pat's spot. And Vanna's, when her time comes, although...part of me feels that when she leaves, the need for the co-host will be gone too. The board doesn't need anyone touching it, after all.

I also loved Bob Goen's chat with Adam on Hosts at Home, and his genuine passion to be a game show host. I'd be happy seeing him give it another go. Wasn't he added to the Wheel Live host rotation, or did I dream reading that somewhere?

If anything i think Maggie will be the new letter toucher but i don't see her hosting the show nor them getting rid of the letter toucher. Maggie may end up leaving with her father and focusing on other things.

I hope they audition Mark L. Walberg and Clay Aiken they both did good jobs hosting the show judging from the segments posted on youtube. Clay looks like he's having a lot of fun hosting the show.

I have a small feeling Vanna might stay a season or two to help make the transition easier.  She haven't announced anything.