Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: “Password” Clue Giving Subtleties List  (Read 4589 times)

gamed121683

“Password” Clue Giving Subtleties List
« on: January 29, 2022, 07:38:05 PM »
Recently, I’ve been on a Password binge (I think that new masthead of ours is subliminal advertising) and it inspired me to come up with a list of clue giving subtleties and hints that were used quite a bit on either the classic or Plus/Super versions of the show. For example:

*Using proper nouns for clues (Ex. If the password was “Tissue”, you could get away with saying “Kleenex”).

*If it's an opposite, a stretched out vocal inflection can come in handy (Ex. If the password was “Out”, you could say “Innnnnnnnnnn…”). In the Plus/Super versions, this also worked when trying to get a surname. (Ex. If the password was “Reagan”, you could say “Ronallllllllllld…”).

*They say "Don't say charades", yet they sometimes let that rule slide (especially in the classic edition).

How many others can you think of?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Re: “Password” Clue Giving Subtleties List
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 07:54:05 PM »
*If it's an opposite, a stretched out vocal inflection can come in handy (Ex. If the password was “Out”, you could say “Innnnnnnnnnn…”). In the Plus/Super versions, this also worked when trying to get a surname. (Ex. If the password was “Reagan”, you could say “Ronallllllllllld…”).

I always describe the inflection for opposites as having your voice go up at the end like you're asking a question. A drawn-out, flat inflection is good for a "fill in the blank" clue, as you describe for Reagan.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 08:33:01 PM »
These are strategies that I wish players would employ more often on "25 Words or Less". When you have a budget of words you can use, saying "Night?" instead of "Night opposite" is so valuable.

Bryce L.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 09:09:09 PM »
Not really subtle, but singing the clue could be a trick (if the other knows what you're singing)
Go figure, they made a rule banning opposites, but they never clamped down on THIS? Talk about priorities...

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 10:08:13 PM »
These are strategies that I wish players would employ more often on "25 Words or Less". When you have a budget of words you can use, saying "Night?" instead of "Night opposite" is so valuable.
Yeah, it's frustrating to watch sometimes and it's sad because it's basically a product of there not being a regular version of Password on TV for over 30 years save for the short lasting Million Dollar Password. And before Buzzr hit the airwaves, Password left GSN some time in the early 2010s. So, unless players have been watching YouTube uploads, and now seeking out Buzzr reruns, they just have no idea of these nuances. That's why it makes me happy when a contestant or celeb comes along using such nuances whether it be because they come naturally to them or because they remember from watching Password.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Marc412

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 11:33:36 PM »

I always describe the inflection for opposites as having your voice go up at the end like you're asking a question. A drawn-out, flat inflection is good for a "fill in the blank" clue, as you describe for Reagan.

-Jason

Also good for “what comes next?”, like saying “six…” for seven, “Saturday…” for Sunday, “January…” for February, etc.

BillCullen1

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 09:52:34 AM »
Not really subtle, but singing the clue could be a trick (if the other knows what you're singing)

I know on Strahan's Pyramid, they tell everyone "no singing" if it's a music related category. Not sure if this version of Password would do the same.

PPatters

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 01:45:46 PM »
I know on Strahan's Pyramid, they tell everyone "no singing" if it's a music related category. Not sure if this version of Password would do the same.

This likely has more to do with music clearances than anything — which wouldn’t be a problem with the way Password does it.
Patrick

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 02:18:58 PM »

This likely has more to do with music clearances than anything — which wouldn’t be a problem with the way Password does it.
Maybe Jimmy could bundle the clearances in a package deal with "That's My Jam"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

nowhammies10

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 04:59:27 PM »
Watched a P+ earlier today and Betty gives a masterful clue for the word    CUBS   . She makes her voice smaller and curls her entire body down as she says "bears".

Indicating size with tone of voice and body language is a galaxy-brain strategy that would be well used on the new Password and 25WoL.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2022, 09:05:36 AM »
Watched a P+ earlier today and Betty gives a masterful clue for the word    CUBS   . She makes her voice smaller and curls her entire body down as she says "bears".

Indicating size with tone of voice and body language is a galaxy-brain strategy that would be well used on the new Password and 25WoL.

Such actions would certainly at least get a warning from Meredith.    From some of the warnings given, and the instruction from Metedith that you can't use your hands, it seems there is a no charades or pantomime rule.

A head shake for you are close won't get a warning.  Unless I am in false memory territory I believe some head movement has gotten a "be careful"

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2022, 01:07:19 PM »

I don't remember seeing that.  I know it was banned on the GSN version, but is it a rule on the current run, too?

mystery7

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 04:58:23 PM »

So what if someone just tunelessly says the lyrics without any semblance of melody? Or it's rap?

blaq

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 07:13:02 PM »
Didn't Betty White successfully convey SAN FRANCISCO by stretching the clue CITY to absurd lengths while singing the tune of "San Francisco (open your golden gate)"?