Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show "Channels" On Roku,...Etc... Thread.  (Read 99925 times)

Kevin Prather

Re: Game Show "Channels" On Roku,...Etc... Thread.
« Reply #210 on: August 10, 2023, 04:19:11 PM »
Watching the 10th Season premiere, I'm reminded that I consider 1992-1996 or so to be the "Wheel of Jeopardy" years. Puzzles like PATRIOT GAMES BY TOM CLANCY seem a lot more highbrow than what we've had in recent years.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #211 on: August 10, 2023, 04:40:18 PM »
None of those were that unusual, though - they often had contestants shop during the breaks when they won over a certain amount; they sometimes didn't have any prizes under $200 in a showcase; and I know of at least one other Battle of the Sexes week where they did a similar (but smaller) thing for the Friday Finals (pretty sure it was a daytime week earlier in '87).

Honestly, this being an era I've seen significantly less of compared to the cash format, but knowing the timeline, I drew incorrect conclusions. My bad.

No worries - I can absolutely understand why you’d draw that conclusion.

I haven't watched any of the episodes yet, but I get the impression that Chelsea is talking about just...like...a regular round where they went to commercial for shopping. In all the instances I've seen where they took a commercial break for shopping, it was because the contestant had a massive amount of money ($10K+) to play with. So to my way of thinking, it IS unusual and her read that they're over shopping at this point is accurate.

The contestant in question won $5600, which was a pretty big total for R1 at the time. I’m inclined to believe that having the contestant shop during the commercial here was not an unusual occurrence, but I could be wrong. It definitely was not an ordinary total/round in this instance.

BrandonFG

« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2023, 05:09:02 PM »
Watching the 10th Season premiere, I'm reminded that I consider 1992-1996 or so to be the "Wheel of Jeopardy" years. Puzzles like PATRIOT GAMES BY TOM CLANCY seem a lot more highbrow than what we've had in recent years.
Nothing epitomizes this more than the MEGAWORD category.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #213 on: August 10, 2023, 06:36:18 PM »
25 episodes from seasons 3 and 4 (which never aired on GSN) are up now.

Sweet Christmas! Right in the Childhood.

[\I await my S23 episode, naturally]

tpirfan28

« Reply #214 on: August 10, 2023, 06:57:57 PM »
There is now a selection of season 7 (TV City) episodes available.
At least on Android TV shows have identification as Memorable Contestants, Vanna’s Fashion and Classic Shopping.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #215 on: August 10, 2023, 08:41:00 PM »
A few more season 4 episodes as well as several episodes from season 16 (mainly the Hawaii road trip) have been added. Currently at 77 in total since this started.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #216 on: August 10, 2023, 09:13:50 PM »
Fun curiosity from the Season 16 (1998) episode:

A bonus question asks how many Lethal Weapon movies there have been? (Four.) Pat quips that this episode will air on GSN ten years later, and the answer will be twelve.

The episode is now being seen twenty-five years later on Pluto, and they're just now getting around to making a fifth one.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #217 on: August 11, 2023, 02:23:24 AM »
Sorry to interrupt the Wheel chatter...

Plex started carrying GameTV Go, for those people who have an itch for TalkAbout, Inside the Box, The New Liar's Club, and Canadian Cash Cab.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #218 on: August 11, 2023, 08:49:09 PM »
Back to Wheel for what I suspect is the last drop in this bundle. Today saw more uploads, and as the cumulative total is now 100 shows (on a Friday evening even) this now feels like a sensisble and consistent stopping (or at least resting) point relative to what they usually do.

Adding to the pile:
They eventually settled on 10 shows from season 16 (up from 8 last night), as well as adding 4 shows from season 15...plus 9 episodes from season 8, 6 episodes from season 9, 1 show from season 11 (none of which ever reran on GSN), plus Vanna's first daytime episode as permanent hostess (the one GSN reran 15 years ago), which is filed under season 11 (based on episode #).

Cumulative tally as of today:
S1: 8
S2: 7
S3: 10
S4: 21
S5: 8
S7: 9
S8: 9
S9: 6
S10: 4
S11: 1
S12: 1
S15: 4
S16: 10 (including 9 consecutive shows out of 10 from their '99 Hawaii trip)
Daytime: 2 (Pat's first, and Vanna's first permanent, episodes filed under S10 and S11 respectively).

BrandonFG

« Reply #219 on: August 11, 2023, 10:59:23 PM »
I haven’t watched Classic Wheel in years, but I forgot how charming this show was back in the day. I’m getting a kick out of the music cues, quirky dollar values, and cheesy cars given away.

Overall, it was just a fun show where both the contestants and Pat had personality and were genuinely excited.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

cmjb13

« Reply #220 on: August 12, 2023, 07:19:16 PM »
2 things I noticed..

Specifically the poor quality of Pat & Vanna’s first daytime episodes. They look like they were from VHS copies. Don’t the master tapes exist for these?

One of the 90’s episodes had a TV-G in the corner which appears to be a copy from GSN.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

snowpeck

« Reply #221 on: August 12, 2023, 07:35:09 PM »
2 things I noticed..

Specifically the poor quality of Pat & Vanna’s first daytime episodes. They look like they were from VHS copies. Don’t the master tapes exist for these?

One of the 90’s episodes had a TV-G in the corner which appears to be a copy from GSN.
The master for Vanna's first show exists, but apparently not for Pat's.

And it's normal to see ratings bugs on shows from after 1997 when the TV ratings system was introduced. Wheel and J!'s ratings bugs were on the master tapes.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

cmjb13

« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2023, 08:25:46 PM »
And it's normal to see ratings bugs on shows from after 1997 when the TV ratings system was introduced. Wheel and J!'s ratings bugs were on the master tapes.
Interesting, did not know that
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

rebelwrest

« Reply #223 on: August 13, 2023, 09:07:05 PM »
There is a music cue I've been trying to figure out the name for a long time.  It was only played on Wheel for Season 1 and 1983-1984 in daytime.  The music can be found at 6:15 on Season 1, Episode 3 on Pluto.  I'm not sure why they got rid of it.  I kind of like it.

My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

snowpeck

« Reply #224 on: August 13, 2023, 09:11:57 PM »
There is a music cue I've been trying to figure out the name for a long time.  It was only played on Wheel for Season 1 and 1983-1984 in daytime.  The music can be found at 6:15 on Season 1, Episode 3 on Pluto.  I'm not sure why they got rid of it.  I kind of like it.
It sounds like a slow orchestral version of one of the themes from The Merv Griffin Show.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)