Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UK Import Hosts in America/International American Hosts  (Read 4487 times)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
UK Import Hosts in America/International American Hosts
« on: March 16, 2021, 01:57:57 PM »
I had been thinking about what if Bradley Walsh had come over to host The Chase (I think I remember hearing he did a pilot) and it got me to thinking about how often had a host of a show in the UK came across the pond to host its US import.

Off the top of my head, the most memorable example to me was Anne Robinson doing Weakest Link. Then, I remembered Jimmy Carr coming over to do Distraction for Comedy Central. Also, Alex Horne coming over to co-present the American version of Taskmaster with Reggie Watts.

On the flip side, globally, I recall Steve Harvey's recent foray into two different versions of Feud in Africa for both Ghana and South Africa. And, while not a US export, Howie Mandel helming Deal or No Deal to his homeland, Canada, while still hosting the American version.

I feel like I'm missing examples (couldn't think of an American host in the UK), but I also feel like this could be a very limited category of people.

Honorable mentions to Eamonn Andrews and Larry Emdur who hosted the versions of the shows that were exported to their home countries (although Larry was only a segment).
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Re: UK Import Hosts in America/International American Hosts
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 02:04:40 PM »
Jerry Springer went over to the UK to host Greed; I know he was born there, but I'd consider him an American broadcaster.
Also, didn't John McEnroe host the UK version of The Chair?

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 02:09:38 PM »
Outside the UK, how about Monty hosting LMAD on both sides of the border?

Was “Hot Streak” based on a British series, specifically one that Bruce Forsyth hosted?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 02:16:22 PM »
Was “Hot Streak” based on a British series, specifically one that Bruce Forsyth hosted?

It was an American creation; there were a number of international versions, including the long-running Ruck Zuck in Germany, but never a British one.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

WhammyPower

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 02:25:24 PM »
Jim Perry, of course, hosted shows on both sides of the US/Canada border (but not the same show on both sides, sadly.)

Two others I can think of: Mike Adamle went over to the UK to host two sets of International Gladiators, and Clive Anderson came over here to host some episodes (including the final season) of UK Whose Line.

colonial

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 02:35:31 PM »
Donny Osmond hosted versions of Pyramid in both the U.S. and UK.

JD

nowhammies10

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 04:30:29 PM »
Geoff Edwards hosted Chain Reaction and Jackpot! in Canada for air in the U.S. during the '80s.

Winkfan

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 04:33:28 PM »
The Winkster's The Last Word originated from Vancouver, BC.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 09:10:54 PM »
I wasn't considering hosts who traveled abroad to record shows for (primarily) American consumption or American consumption at the same time. Which is why I didn't include Monty, and why I did not include Chuck Woolery hosting season one of Lingo, Bob Goen hosting Season 1 of That's the Question, or Jane Krakowski hosting Name That Tune, and won't include Rob Lowe hosting Season 2 of Mental Samurai. Though that is a fun topic on its own.

McEnroe and Osmond are two example I didn't know at all and exactly what I was wondering when it came to American going abroad. Thank you, absolutely fascinating.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 01:09:35 AM »
Not a game show, but Matt LeBlanc ("Joey" from Friends) co-hosted Top Gear in the UK for three seasons.

...and more competition show than straight game show, but Gordon Ramsay has hosted a handful of cooking reality/competition shows here in the US.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 03:34:29 AM by knagl »

WhammyPower

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 09:11:48 AM »
Another one that popped into my mind just now: Vernon Kay coming here to host Million Dollar Mind Game.

SamJ93

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 09:45:09 AM »
I wonder if there are any hosts who did a show in a country that speaks a language other than their native tongue? The only sorta-example I can think of is Mexican TPiR host Marco Antonio Regil, who hosted the Live stage show in the US for a while and apparently even audtioned to replace Barker.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

pownster

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 09:55:32 AM »
We've had a couple of US imports come and host their game shows here in Oz - Joey Fatone for "The Singing Bee" and recently Rob Riggle as a co-host for the Aussie "Holey Moley" (if you count it as a game show).
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 10:40:40 AM »
I wonder if there are any hosts who did a show in a country that speaks a language other than their native tongue? The only sorta-example I can think of is Mexican TPiR host Marco Antonio Regil, who hosted the Live stage show in the US for a while and apparently even audtioned to replace Barker.
If you considered "That's Amore" a game show, there was Luca.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 11:54:14 AM »
Would we consider the Masterchef judges the hosts? Joe Bastianich also appears on the Italian version.
RuPaul also presents the UK version of Drag Race.