Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best Guest Host?  (Read 4761 times)

Jimmy Owen

Best Guest Host?
« on: January 23, 2004, 10:30:59 AM »
Curt A. was musing on the GSN section about having a thread regarding best substitute host.  I will nominate Walter O'Keefe who filled in well for Herb Shriner on "Two for the Money."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GSWitch

Best Guest Host?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 10:59:04 AM »
I nominate Sally Struthers sitting in for Vicki Lawrence on the NBC Win Lose or Draw!  She didn't act like a meathead or a dingbat as sub host!

JMFabiano

Best Guest Host?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 11:19:37 AM »
Since he wasn't permanent, would Bill Cullen on PW+ count?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Matt Ottinger

Best Guest Host?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 11:26:56 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 12:19 PM\'] Since he wasn't permanent, would Bill Cullen on PW+ count? [/quote]
Sorry, the judges say no.  Since this thread was based on Curt's original musing, we have to go along with his rules, and he specifically said that we couldn't select Bill on Password Plus.

So I nominate Bill on To Tell The Truth.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 11:43:36 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ChuckNet

Best Guest Host?
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 11:30:08 AM »
I'd go w/Jim Peck on TJW.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Best Guest Host?
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 11:58:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 09:26 AM\'] [quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 12:19 PM\'] Since he wasn't permanent, would Bill Cullen on PW+ count? [/quote]
Sorry, the judges say no.  Since this thread was based on Curt's original musing, we have to go along with his rules, and he specifically said that we couldn't select Bill on Password Plus.

So I nominate Bill on To Tell The Truth. [/quote]
 When I saw that, the first thing to fly into my head was "Fine, then. Tom Kennedy, Password Plus."

But I suppose it could be argued that Tom was a replacement host, and not a substitute. Same with Peck, really.

How about Geoff Edwards on LMAD? As we've seen, few men can run a trading floor like Monty Hall, but Geoff did an able job.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

Best Guest Host?
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 12:28:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 11:58 AM\'] When I saw that, the first thing to fly into my head was "Fine, then. Tom Kennedy, Password Plus."
 [/quote]
 Lol...that was the first thing I though of as well. However, my vote goes to...Alex Trebeck. He did a pretty great job on Wheel.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Best Guest Host?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 01:01:15 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 11:28 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 11:58 AM\'] When I saw that, the first thing to fly into my head was "Fine, then. Tom Kennedy, Password Plus."
 [/quote]
Lol...that was the first thing I though of as well. However, my vote goes to...Alex Trebeck. He did a pretty great job on Wheel. [/quote]
 Marc Summers on SCRABBLE didn't do too badly either.

And didn't Gene Rayburn do a few stints on TT so that Bert & Ann Convy could play the game (other than the various hosts weeks)?  That merits a vote or two.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

David Lawrence

Best Guest Host?
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 02:41:50 PM »
I enjoy IGAS episodes with Henry Morgan as guest host. He made a much better transition from panelist to guest host than Bennett, who seemed ill-at-ease the one time he hosted WML.

I'm sure Bill's stint as TTTT fill-in host also ranks high, but I haven't had the chance to see one of those episodes.

Among the surviving Cullen-era TPIR that GSN once aired, was Arlene's episode as guest host among them? If so, any thoughts on how it turned out?

Don Howard

Best Guest Host?
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 02:46:43 PM »
Jack Clark on Password. For that matter, Jack did a good job when
subbing for Bud on To Tell The Truth also.

Winkfan

Best Guest Host?
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 05:21:54 PM »
I'd go w/Jim Peck on TJW.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
Ditto on Jim; he'd be MY #1 choice! I'd also go with Robert Q. Lewis on To Tell the Truth, Bob Kennedy on Beat the Clock, and even Betsy Palmer during the two times she hosted I've Got A Secret.

Now, how about WORST Guest Host? I feel Beat the Clock is guilty of having two of them: John Reed King (way too enthuiastic) and Win Elliott (not enthuiastic enough).

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Nancy Dussault of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 05:32:34 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Don Howard

Best Guest Host?
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 11:52:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 05:21 PM\'] Now, how about WORST Guest Host? I feel Beat the Clock is guilty of having two of them: John Reed King (way too enthuiastic) and Win Elliott (not enthuiastic enough).

[/quote]
 Gotta disagree on John. He was so over the top he was a trip--infinitely better than that schlock Sonny Fox, that's for sure.

Vgmastr

Best Guest Host?
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2004, 12:52:59 AM »
Jim J. Bullock was pretty awful when he hosted Double Dare.  He was confused about the rules, as he continually asked the staff which team he was supposed to ask the question to.  Also, he described the physical challenges way too quickly.

Robert Hutchinson

Best Guest Host?
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2004, 03:50:40 AM »
Geoff Edwards guest-hosting Chain Reaction '80.

Honorable mention: Pat Sajak hosting Jeopardy! Ah, one blessed day without missing punch lines and bad, vaguely offensive accents.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

aaron sica

Best Guest Host?
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2004, 08:38:31 AM »
My vote definitely goes to Jim Peck when he'd sub for Jack Barry on TJW. That was the first time I'd ever seen Jim Peck, and considering Jack Barry always seemed scary-looking to me when I was a child,  Jim was a welcome change...