Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To straddle...or not to straddle....  (Read 8097 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
To straddle...or not to straddle....
« on: January 23, 2004, 03:22:05 AM »
What are your opinions on shows that should have been straddled; and shows that straddled, that should have been self contained?

In my opinion, the current run of Feud should straddle (thus eliminating the need to rush through the game).  
No game comes to mind that was in fact straddled that didn't.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

GSWitch

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 08:59:28 AM »
I agree.  It would make viewers tune in to the next episode.  

The longest straddle drought went 9 years (1990-99) Tic Tac Dough-Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 09:09:19 AM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 08:59 AM\'] I agree.  It would make viewers tune in to the next episode.  

The longest straddle drought went 9 years (1990-99) Tic Tac Dough-Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? [/quote]
 Some episodes of TJW90 straddled, i.e. the bonus game would be played at the top of the next episode on a few occasions when the maingame ran too long. ALso, though not normally considered a game show, Love Connection, which ran through 1993-94 and again in 1998-99, would end the show by introducing a contestant and their three prospective dates. The next show would have them tell who the contestant picked and give the date details.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 09:16:54 AM »
Feud would be a better, fairer *game* if it straddled (all questions are worth the same and you play to 200) but I'm not so sure it would make a better *show*.  The tradition of ending the show with the bonus game goes back a quarter century, and it's hard to mess with something like that.

In general, any show where the points are ridiculously weighted toward the end so that the last round is all that matters, and any show that simply stops in the middle of something when time runs out (like Lingo does and Squares did) has a structural problem.  Usually, that problem can be corrected by straddling.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 09:40:57 AM »
In the early days, I think "Feud" was supposed to straddle, as sometimes Dawson would introduce a new family after the Fast Money round was played.  In every occasion, they had to wait until the next show to play.

Personally, I liked "Squares" better when the bonus round was played at the end of the show.  I just don't think it works as well having a two-out-of-three format.  Maybe in the old NBC days it did, but not now.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 10:36:22 AM »
I have an opinion on this but it will have to wait until tomorrow, because we're out of time.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 11:25:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 09:40 AM\'] Personally, I liked "Squares" better when the bonus round was played at the end of the show.  I just don't think it works as well having a two-out-of-three format.  Maybe in the old NBC days it did, but not now. [/quote]
 I brought this up in another thread, but personally, I think Squares is better off with the 2/3 format. I think it allows for a better flow with the game, and sometimes we even get 2 bonus rounds in a show. Of course, there's also those days where there's none at all. ;-)

Looking at this season's episodes, it looked like for the first five years, that HSq was trying very hard to stretch out the gameplay. IMO, that makes the show tiring and boring. Watching two people play tic-tac-toe can only be fun for so long, when it's a self-contained game.

One thing I *do* like in a self-contained game is a guaranteed bonus round in every show. But there's a lot of shows where the show could get very tiring with self-contained matches, as Matt said, Lingo and HSq are good examples. Going back to the early days of Feud "straddling" in a sense, I'd like to see the current Feud producers experiment with something like that, in one of those episodes where a family gets 300 in only three rounds; instead of doing the commercial in between Fast Money, use that commercial *after* FM, and then intro the next family briefly.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 11:47:07 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 08:09 AM\'] [quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 08:59 AM\'] I agree.  It would make viewers tune in to the next episode. 

The longest straddle drought went 9 years (1990-99) Tic Tac Dough-Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? [/quote]
Some episodes of TJW90 straddled, i.e. the bonus game would be played at the top of the next episode on a few occasions when the maingame ran too long. ALso, though not normally considered a game show, Love Connection, which ran through 1993-94 and again in 1998-99, would end the show by introducing a contestant and their three prospective dates. The next show would have them tell who the contestant picked and give the date details. [/quote]
Some episodes of TJW90 straddled? Are you talking about the second season shows?

I don't think there was any straddling on the first season shows.

Now, I'll give in my 2 cents on Straddling: Not a good idea. What if a viewer prefers not to tape a whole week of shows? That's not a good idea then.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 11:55:01 AM by gameshowguy2000 »

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 11:59:42 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 11:47 AM\'] Some episodes of TJW90 straddled? Are you talking about the second season shows?

[/quote]
There was no straddling on the second season shows because a second season of the 1990s edition of The Joker's Wild was not produced.
Pat Finn's explanation at the end of those first and only season of shows where the Joker Machine game had to be played at the top of the next program was usually, "We've had so much fun with the new rules that we've run out of time".
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 03:41:35 PM by Don Howard »

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 01:03:10 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 11:47 AM\'] Now, I'll give in my 2 cents on Straddling: Not a good idea. What if a viewer prefers not to tape a whole week of shows? That's not a good idea then. [/quote]
Huh? Who said anything about taping anything, and why would it make any difference in the world?

Ooh...post number 666...(evil laugh)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 01:04:33 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 01:18:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 10:59 AM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 11:47 AM\'] Some episodes of TJW90 straddled? Are you talking about the second season shows?

[/quote]
There was no straddling on the second season shows because a second season of the 1990s edition of The Joker's Wild was not produced.
Pat Finn's explanation at the end of those first and only season of shows where the Joker Machine game had to played at the top of the next program was usually, "We've had so much fun with the new rules that we've run out of time". [/quote]
 Weren't there essentially two incarnations of TJW90--first being the game of definitions that of course we all knew, then a melding of the "classic" format with their "current" game?  That might be the "second season", even though it was all one season (1990-91).

Or am I REALLY confused?  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 03:06:53 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 11:47 AM\'] Now, I'll give in my 2 cents on Straddling: Not a good idea. What if a viewer prefers not to tape a whole week of shows? That's not a good idea then. [/quote]
 Well, that's just tough luck then for someone who can't program a VCR.  That reminds me--would you like lessons?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 03:40:24 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 01:18 PM\'] Weren't there essentially two incarnations of TJW90--first being the game of definitions that of course we all knew, then a melding of the "classic" format with their "current" game?  That might be the "second season", even though it was all one season (1990-91).

[/quote]
I think of it as "mid-season" changes. But, yes, in many show biz circles January is considered "second season". The confusion is understandable.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 03:40:52 PM by Don Howard »

Neumms

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 05:01:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 10:36 AM\'] I have an opinion on this but it will have to wait until tomorrow, because we're out of time. [/quote]
 That's funny. Lingo is one that really ought to straddle, because the time limit seems so arbritrary and a "first to Lingo twice wins" rule would tighten up the game.

I'm not a huge fan of "Bullseye," but I wonder if that's one straddling game that could be better in a self-contained format. The winner is whichever player has banked the most money. Dollar amounts could double at the midway point. There could be a sound to signal the last contract of the day. I think it could add drama to a game that needed some, and it would have made the game more different from Joker's Wild and Tic Tac Dough.

Any other games that straddled that didn't need to?

scully24

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2004, 05:07:19 PM »
I'm having trouble remembering, but on shows that straddled and had celebrities, what are the different ways they wrapped things up on the Friday shows, so that they could switch over to fresh celebrities for the next week?