Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Carmen Sandiego has been found!  (Read 8735 times)

brianhenke

Carmen Sandiego has been found!
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:00:50 PM »
   The woman who played Carmen Sandiego on the  1996-98 PBS series "Where In Time is Carmen Sandiego?" has been found after 20 years, thanks to a fan of the show.

She also played various good-girl roles on WITICS, too:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/carmen-sandiego/found_us_578e6f4fe4b07c722ebc73ca

Brian

Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

chad1m

Re: Carmen Sandiego has been found!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 03:21:30 PM »
I'd like to think I'm not the only person who saw "Carmen Sandiego has been" in the home page preview and am annoyed that this is what it led me to.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 04:29:42 PM »
I'd like to think I'm not the only person who saw "Carmen Sandiego has been" in the home page preview and am annoyed that this is what it led me to.

Oh, get off your high horse for once.

For as often as Henke shares duds, this is one of the times where he comes through with something solid. And even if you don't find it interesting, which is certainly your prerogative, this is totally benign compared to his other stuff.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 04:40:19 PM »

That exact feeling of deflation happened to me. When I saw the word Carmen in the margin, I didn't click the entire forum topic list, I clicked the topic itself. The bummer had nothing to do with Henke (and Chad never said that either, Chris), but rather that a revival could be possible in the climate we're in.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 04:55:31 PM »
On the other hand, I had been wondering who lent her voice and look to Carmen's persona on the Where in Time series, so when I finally finish reading the Mevillean piece linked to, it will be worthwhile for me.

/click before you assume, game show fans.
//"...has been what? Acquitted? Found incompetent to stand trial?"
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »

That exact feeling of deflation happened to me. When I saw the word Carmen in the margin, I didn't click the entire forum topic list, I clicked the topic itself. The bummer had nothing to do with Henke (and Chad never said that either, Chris), but rather that a revival could be possible in the climate we're in.

-Jason

Two points I would like to make.

The first is that while Chad didn't say that directly, that's how it came off.

The second is that I understand the initial excitement of the story potentially being about a revival, but at the same time I think the use of the verb "has been" shouldn't immediately lead you there.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 05:24:30 PM »
"Carmen Sandiego has been"

That's no way to talk about Greg Lee.

/I genuinely feel bad for making this joke.
//If it helps, I'll point out that I'm a never-was.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 05:28:59 PM »
"Carmen Sandiego has been"

That's no way to talk about Greg Lee.

/I genuinely feel bad for making this joke.
//If it helps, I'll point out that I'm a never-was.
One, I chuckled.

Two, with the above tiff, I thought this was somehow making it seem like the actress playing Carmen was a has been. FWIW, I did initially think this was referring to a revival from seeing the subject line, but this was pretty decent, even if it is yet another Buzzfeed Glamorizes the 90s article. Long story short, it's just a little wordplay causing minds to wander. No more, no less.

I wasn't as big a fan of the Where in Time... series, so I had no idea they even used a live-action Carmen. I guess I learned something today.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 05:34:46 PM »
Yeah, count me as one who was never aware of the live action Carmen in the Time show. Then again, they made so many changes that it should not surprise me.

/and I still think Kevin Shinick was a mega tool
//glad to see he went on to somewhat better things later on

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 06:40:36 PM »
The first is that while Chad didn't say that directly, that's how it came off.

That's how it came off to you.

I understand the initial excitement of the story potentially being about a revival, but at the same time I think the use of the verb "has been" shouldn't immediately lead you there.

Could have been "Carmen Sandiego has been revived by PBS!" Even the subject "Carmen Sandiego has been found!" could be one person's way of saying the show is coming back. Heck, it could have referred to props being sold on eBay, episodes posted online, etc. etc.

I think it was an innocent observation and one that I shared (like reacting to people's names as a subject before we had the Birthdays & Obits boards to separate them). I replied because I agreed, and because I find it a little annoying that you wanted to police a thread after your speculative post in the 50 Greatest thread right after Matt suggested how speculating could taint the results. It would make more sense to me if you did this for every post that's critical of Brian. In general, the tone around here has been growing quietly combative when it comes to differing opinions, and it's a shame. I try not to ever mix it up like this, but it's getting tiresome.

As for the article itself, preteen me was deflated by "Where in Time" and I forgot there was even a live action Carmen. Thought the timeline round was cool & it used skill to pick a winner vs. the loot/warrant/crook round.

-Jason

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 07:13:15 PM »
I think the problem I saw was the use of the word "annoyed." It wasn't really that so much as it was "disappointing." It makes the most sense to me to put Carmen Sandiego in the title and honestly, if it leads off it'll probably catch your eye no matter what's written behind it.

I think this was trending on Facebook or somewhere, as I saw this story beforehand and knew exactly what this thread was for.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:48:29 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

PYLdude

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 07:43:36 PM »
Okay, I'm not liking the direction that's being taken here.

One, I'm not trying to "police" anything. I merely stated that I did not appreciate the tone that Chad gave off in his post. If he was trying to make a point about being disappointed in the subject matter then he should simply have said that. Instead, he chose to use the word "annoyed", which is not the same as "disappointed" and implies something different altogether. Words Have Meanings.

Two, I did agree with Matt's point but I doubted that, with so little time left to cast votes, there would've been enough to sway the final tally in any significant direction. The "I've been wrong before" was not meant to be taken at face value. It was an off-the-cuff statement intended as a joke.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:42:13 PM by PYLdude »

chrisholland03

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 09:15:52 PM »
So...you don't like the direction that's being taken

Yet you're not trying to police anything

Are you wearing a uniform and carrying a whistle by chance?

;D

PYLdude

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 10:30:38 PM »
So...you don't like the direction that's being taken

Yet you're not trying to police anything

Are you wearing a uniform and carrying a whistle by chance?

;D

Yeah, I don't like it when I'm getting crap for seeing something in a different manner than someone else. Nor do a lot of other people.

I don't care about not having the same interpretation of something as others do. We differ. That's what makes us great.

But I shouldn't have to be put in a position to defend anything because you see what I did as something wrong, nor should I be criticized for perceived inconsistency regarding the OP. I've been critical of Henke in the past but once in awhile he relays a good piece of information that isn't obscure or Cincycentric. And this was one of those times. And thus, I called the spade a spade.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:01:29 PM by PYLdude »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 11:28:47 PM »
Your first statement in the thread was "Oh, get off your high horse for once." That didn't set the tone in a measured, "merely stating" place.

-Jason