Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WWTBAM moving to Las Vegas  (Read 7785 times)

colonial

WWTBAM moving to Las Vegas
« on: May 20, 2016, 03:32:30 PM »
After two seasons in Stamford, Connecticut, the syndicated version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" will be calling Las Vegas home. Specifically, tapings will hold court at Bally's on the LV Strip ...

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire-to-las-vegas-1201779755/

Host Chris Harrison made the announcement earlier today while appearing on ABC's "The Chew". Auditions have opened in Los Angeles, and the show's website is also accepting "video auditions" via YouTube.

Not sure if the taping schedule will change as a result -- if I recall, last season was taped in July and August, and Harrison was doing coast-to-coast flights for much of that, as we was also helming the "Bachelor in Paradise" aftershow for ABC from LA.  At least the commute will be easier for Harrison (who, IIRC, calls Westlake Village, California, home).

JD
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 06:21:24 PM by colonial »

BrandonFG

Re: WWTBAM moving to Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 03:59:59 PM »
That's...random.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Thunder

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 05:59:03 PM »
At least we don't have to sit through a few months of posts saying the show is going to be cancelled.

However, the inevitable "The show just isn't the same" ones will be around.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 06:04:17 PM »
It's about as close as we're going to get to Original Recipe, and that's fine by me.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 06:10:22 PM »
At least we don't have to sit through a few months of posts saying the show is going to be cancelled.

I'm sure there's going to be speculation that moving to Vegas is a last-ditch effort to boost the ratings.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 06:11:58 PM »
I'm sure there's going to be speculation that moving to Vegas is a last-ditch effort to boost the ratings.
Because there's no speculation quite like conspiracy theory, totally unfounded, speculation.

/they should have moved five years ago to call the show Millionaire Roulette.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 08:45:56 PM »

It isn't, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Chris is a decent host, the game is still stout, I enjoy.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 10:55:37 PM »
Millionaire in Vegas, hmm?  Might consider auditioning as it is a 7-hour drive or a cheap Allegiant Air flight to Sin City.

PYLdude

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 12:59:49 AM »
Millionaire in Vegas, hmm?  Might consider auditioning as it is a 7-hour drive or a cheap Allegiant Air flight to Sin City.

Go for it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Kevin Prather

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 06:33:30 PM »

Give it a try, or I'll advocate the video audition process as well.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 07:32:55 PM »
The one cool thing I can find from this is that the producers should still be able to find unique contestants from all walks, given the tourists who go to Vegas. Not just a bunch of pretty Central Casting faces.

PYLdude

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 09:28:51 PM »
Tim, pardon my ignorance/curiosity, but where do you call home?

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 09:50:50 PM »
Tim, pardon my ignorance/curiosity, but where do you call home?

Colorado, west side of the Divide.

Thunder

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 10:56:33 PM »
The one cool thing I can find from this is that the producers should still be able to find unique contestants from all walks, given the tourists who go to Vegas. Not just a bunch of pretty Central Casting faces.

And absolutely no guarantee that they'll use those people instead of the ones who look good for TV and may not be good game players.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 12:46:35 AM »
And you might even get to be on a game show on the plane too!
--Mark
Phil 4:13