Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC bringing back Match Game  (Read 96177 times)

whewfan

Re: ABC bringing back Match Game
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2016, 08:28:38 AM »
I just got back from the taping, here's my take

The pacing- The only time it was slow was with the writing of the answers. Alec doesn't interact with the celebs while they're writing, so that may explain the seemingly slow pace, and I am sure the writing portion will be edited down.

The set- I don't know if I have anything new to add... it's a nice 21st century version of the late '78 set. They did have a computerized version of the background of the rotating square on the Super Match board, but unless it's edited in post, I didn't see it on the monitor when the celebs were introduced.

Alec- I heard he was rusty with the first tapings the other day, but it seems all the dents got worked out with the shows I was at. He does rely on a teleprompter when introducing the contestants and to remind him of what to do step by step, but aside from that, he's a surprisingly capable and funny host and interacts with the panel well. He looks like he's enjoying himself. He also blurts out some four letter words which I assume will be bleeped or edited out, but that was fine. The skinny mike is a nice touch too, but it is cordless, so it's not the EMC 51 mike like the one Gene used.

The nature of the questions- Yes, the show is edgier than the original Match Game, but it doesn't OVERDO it like MG 98 did. Also, lots more variety with the questions. I also suspect that a question about Tituss was written at the last minute. (When you see the show, you'll know exactly what i mean)

The panel- All very good... Adam Goldberg seemed a bit out of place, kinda looked like he'd rather be elsewhere. Rosie, Ana Gasteyer, and Tituss seem to be the show's regulars. Bobby Moynahan and Horatio Sanz were also quite funny.

Music- Yep, it's all there, but kinda hard to hear in the studio.

Overall, they didn't screw it up!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2016, 08:34:57 AM »
Most of Alec's ad-libs are on the TelePrompter.
Then they're not ad-libs now, are they. (I saw this in a panorama shot. Are they that afraid that Alec Baldwin can't be funny or charming off the cuff?

/I wonder if they put "who are you and what do you do?" in there as well.

The prompter included one specific interview question for each contestant, and a follow-up joke. There were lots of other scripted bits. He did plenty of ad-libbing, but I'm pretty sure they wanted to get things off on a sturdy footing considering this was new to nearly all involved.
czambo@mac.com

BillCullen1

« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2016, 10:37:23 AM »
I tried to sign up for tickets to another taping but I got "you have already signed up for this taping" or words to that effect. Oh well, at least I've seen it.

whewfan

« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »
To elaborate more on my experience...

There was a brief stopdown while one of Tituss' answers was deemed not a match, but Alec and audience clearly believed it was. The judges changed their mind and the segment was retaped. Also, there was a somewhat questionable call on a match with Rosie. she gave the "general" term when the answer someone more specific, but clearly, who else could it be? They granted the match, which I guess was the right call.

Alec did stumble over his words on occasion, but it was handled well, and it didn't make him less competent. Also, the writing sessions seemed a bit long, and I am sure they'll get trimmed down since there was otherwise nothing interesting happening.

I don't recall any pick ups, but there were a couple awkward moments where Alec had to read a series of lines relevant to the gameplay that were on the teleprompter... I suppose this was done in case Alec forgot to mention a crucial point in the gameplay or it just didn't sound right.

To answer another poster's question, the spinning square was not seen on the monitors, it was just a shot of each celeb, then a shot of the sign, which split in half from left to right and Alec made his entrance. It's possible the spinning square graphic is inserted in post, because there is a graphic of it on the Super Match board. Also, the intro spiel is identical, except that the announcer now says "as we play the star studded Match Game!"

I will agree with Clay Zambo that the celebs stayed within the bounds of good taste and didn't try to force the "bawdyness", unlike a certain panelist on MG 98.

jbrocato

« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2016, 11:18:13 AM »
To elaborate more on my experience...

To answer another poster's question, the spinning square was not seen on the monitors, it was just a shot of each celeb. It's possible the spinning square graphic is inserted in post, because there is a graphic of it on the Super Match board. Also, the intro spiel is identical, except that the announcer now says "as we play the star studded Match Game!"

I guess $25,000 doesn't qualify as big money in 2016.  It does seem strange that not even accounting for inflation, that a contestant could win more on the 1990 version.

whewfan

« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2016, 11:26:24 AM »
The shows will also be an hour long, two complete games, which I am sure will look better editing-wise than the syndie version which tried to fit in two full games in a HALF hour.

aaron sica

« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »
I guess $25,000 doesn't qualify as big money in 2016.  It does seem strange that not even accounting for inflation, that a contestant could win more on the 1990 version.

The money doesn't really matter..People don't watch MG for the big money payouts, it's all about the comedy. Sort of like Hollywood Squares. There's a game there, but the comedy is center stage.

David Levy

« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2016, 02:49:13 PM »
I attended all four tapings (one on Wednesday and three on Thursday) and hope to attend the remaining six on the 29th and 30th.

The Super Match question appears on a giant video screen. Answers are worth $5,000, $3,000 and $2,000. Three celebs are called on for verbal answers. The Head to Head match also appears on the giant screen. Worth 5x amount of Super Match.
Also, the winning contestant receives $1,000 if none of the top three audience responses are matched.  Notably, he or she still plays the head-to-head portion, with an exact match multiplying the prize to $5,000.

The six Super Match questions used on Thursday were taken from Wednesday's audience poll.

The host - Baldwin is okay. He can read questions and schmooze with the celebs. He has a long microphone as well as a mic clipped to his shirt. It became obvious that the long mic was just a prop, a throwback to the old days.
He spoke into it when some voice-overs were recorded, so I'm wondering whether one of the two microphones is a functional backup.

Alec said a couple of things Rayburn would have never said (potty mouth).
By the last taping, he was swearing like a sailor (and not just when he flubbed a line).

Questions at my tapings included "Will and Grace," the Baldwin Brothers and Donald Trump as subjects. Rosie had a couple of comments about the latter.
There have been several Trump-related questions.  With the current political situation and Rosie on the panel, I expected as much.

The warmup guy, Joe somebody, did a bare minimum warmup and explained the basics.
Joe Bruno, I believe.
Joe Bronzi.

I too was at the 10:30 taping, and heartily co-sign the above reports. Looking back at earliest MG73 episodes, today's taping was no less polished, and the writing was as spotty: some questions evoked very clever answers and some were so open-ended as to have no definitive funny answer.
I disliked a question from the last taping.  The language that made it humorous was self-contained.  For the result to make sense (and provide the risqué payoff that obviously was intended), the blank had to be filled in with a specific mundane response that would arise in the same context in normal conversation.

The pacing- The only time it was slow was with the writing of the answers.
Things went more smoothly on Thursday than they did on Wednesday.  Understandably, there were some kinks to work out on day 1, so the delays were much greater and the retakes were more numerous.  Presumably, this was anticipated (and is why only one taping was scheduled for Wednesday).

Alec- I heard he was rusty with the first tapings the other day, but it seems all the dents got worked out with the shows I was at.
He seemed more comfortable (and messed up less often) than he did on Wednesday.  He also ad-libbed more frequently (and usually was funnier than the canned material he was fed).

I also suspect that a question about Tituss was written at the last minute. (When you see the show, you'll know exactly what i mean)
I thought that it might have been coincidental, as it struck me as somewhat redundant.

Adam Goldberg seemed a bit out of place, kinda looked like he'd rather be elsewhere.
I could be mistaken, but I noticed an apparent irregularity involving his first answer.  It didn't affect the game's outcome, but it seemed weird and awkward.  The details are spoilerish, so I'll email you for your thoughts.

Rosie, Ana Gasteyer, and Tituss seem to be the show's regulars. Bobby Moynahan and Horatio Sanz were also quite funny.
Rosie is the only panelist who's appeared on all four shows recorded so far.  Tituss was on three.  Ana has appeared twice, as have Horatio and Sherri Shepherd.

Here's a rundown each show's panelists:

Show 1
Upper row: Horatio Sanz | Rosie O'Donnell | Isaac Mizrahi
Lower row: Edie Falco | D. L. Hughley | Sherri Shepherd

Show 2
Upper row: Tituss Burgess | Rosie O'Donnell | Michael Ian Black
Lower row: Debra Messing | J. B. Smoove | Sutton Foster

Show 3
Upper row: Tituss Burgess | Rosie O'Donnell | Pete Wentz
Lower row: Ana Gasteyer | Bobby Moynihan | Maggie Q

Show 4
Upper row: Horatio Sanz | Rosie O'Donnell | Tituss Burgess
Lower row: Sherri Shepherd | Adam Goldberg | Ana Gasteyer

Of course, the broadcast order might differ.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 12:54:56 AM by David Levy »

TimK2003

« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2016, 08:21:33 PM »
Fyi...  Clips of Match Game are now included on the promos of the Sunday block of game shows, as of the final game of the NBA playoffs.  Set looks good in the brief clips.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2016, 08:49:31 PM »
It really does look good, and while Ayesha Curry can scream to the digital mountaintops about rigging, how fortuitous of the block (and ABC programming in general) to get prime advertising space during a Game 7 of a hotly contested and historic NBA Finals.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BrandonFG

« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2016, 10:12:05 PM »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

brianhenke

« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2016, 11:09:22 PM »
  This Showbiz 411 article says that PETER MARSHALL was the original host of Match Game. At least he did a show with three more celebs.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2016/06/19/alec-baldwins-match-game-features-view-reunion-of-rosie-odonnell-sherri-shepherd

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2016, 11:47:25 PM »
It really does look good, and while Ayesha Curry can scream
Who is this and why do I care what this person thinks about anything as it pertains to whether a series of basketball games comes to a particular conclusion?
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2016, 11:53:04 PM »
Steph Curry's wife. She tweeted that the games are rigged, then deleted said tweet.

If nothing else, the heavily-anticipated Game 7 allowed for more people to see previews for Match Game '16, so there's that.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2016, 12:00:03 AM »
I'm such a dummy-butt--I didn't even process that it's the same last name. I thought she was a blogger or sportswriter or some deal.
Travis L. Eberle