Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC bringing back Match Game  (Read 96159 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: ABC bringing back Match Game
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2016, 01:16:15 PM »
Wait, weren't they taping at ABC in Lincoln Square? Then he could just get off the 1 and cross the street and he's right there.

Besides the point, West End is three blocks from the 66th-Lincoln Center stop if he doesn't mind walking.

Far as places to eat go, Columbus Avenue has.a few.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

tvwxman

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2016, 01:32:08 PM »
not Lincoln Square - west end - by the river.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

PYLdude

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2016, 01:37:03 PM »
not Lincoln Square - west end - by the river.

Okay then. I stand corrected. But still walkable.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

aaron sica

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2016, 03:01:36 PM »

Definitely. I walked from Penn Station to the studios - actually from Penn Station to 61st and Park Ave to meet my friend, with a nice walk across Central Park to the studios. If it's a nice day, it's a great bonus.

PYLdude

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2016, 12:01:23 AM »

Definitely. I walked from Penn Station to the studios - actually from Penn Station to 61st and Park Ave to meet my friend, with a nice walk across Central Park to the studios. If it's a nice day, it's a great bonus.

You are a better man than I, sir. :)

I'm just glad nothing tapes in lower Manhattan. Very easy for me to get lost down there, as I found out during my second Chase audition. Although I did visit the memorial.

/also got a little scared when a whole bunch of people were gathered at the top of the exit stairs for the E train at the WTC
//just tourists
///the Freedom Tower is effing huge

aaron sica

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2016, 12:35:23 AM »
I'm just glad nothing tapes in lower Manhattan. Very easy for me to get lost down there, as I found out during my second Chase audition. Although I did visit the memorial.

If not for GPS apps on my phone, I probably *would* have gotten lost. Although I have had a few times where even with THAT, I got disoriented (not this last time).

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2016, 11:16:10 AM »

weaklink75

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2016, 06:15:47 PM »
And per Buzzerblog, the first set of celebs- not a bad list actually..

http://www.buzzerblog.com/2016/06/15/match-game-panelists-revealed/

BrandonFG

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2016, 06:33:29 PM »
Nice list indeed. Hopefully the celebs will show up to play the game and not just mug for the camera.

From that Buzzerblog pic, it's hard to tell, but for the set, it looks like they went for a "modernly retro" design. The small portion of the backdrop looks reminiscent of the second set from the late-70s. Honestly, I like that they didn't go for kitschy like the TBS pilot from c. 2008.

/In before the "Must everything look like 'Millionaire'?!!" backlash
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Unrealtor

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2016, 06:42:53 PM »
Another set picture is at https://twitter.com/matchgameabc/status/743198925075677184 and it looks like they're trying to replicate the feel of the second set with that row of exposed light bulbs in the background.

I also can't help but wonder if the combination of Rosie O'Donnell and Isaac Mizrahi in the second and third seats is some kind of effort to create some kind of modern Brett and Charles type chemistry.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Clay Zambo

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2016, 07:26:43 PM »
And per Buzzerblog, the first set of celebs- not a bad list actually..

http://www.buzzerblog.com/2016/06/15/match-game-panelists-revealed/

Titus Burgess and Sutton Foster may be Charles and Brett for the next generation. In the best possible way. If they are panelists on tomorrow morning's taping, it will be proof that leading a decent life is rewarded.
czambo@mac.com

David Levy

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2016, 08:38:41 PM »
Via Twitter, the first pic of the set has appeared!
The logo separates for Alec's entrance and closes behind him.  It's very nice.

From that Buzzerblog pic, it's hard to tell, but for the set, it looks like they went for a "modernly retro" design.
Three words: orange shag carpet.

BrandonFG

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »
From that Buzzerblog pic, it's hard to tell, but for the set, it looks like they went for a "modernly retro" design.
And somehow, oddly enough, it really works. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

David Levy

« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2016, 09:04:29 PM »
And somehow, oddly enough, it really works. :-P
Agreed.  They captured the essence of the classic set without slavishly replicating it.

I'm glad that they made the set bright and colorful.  Nowadays, it's nice to see a game show that isn't ashamed to be a game show.

David Levy

« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2016, 11:39:07 PM »
By the way, I was posting via smartphone on the bus ride back from the Match Game taping.  (I just realized that I didn't convey that clearly.)  I had a terrific time.

Unfortunately, some of the other audience members seemed disappointed by the taping's slow pace.  This was about as far from live-to-tape as a game show can get (retakes and alternate takes galore).  Also, many people felt uncomfortably cold.  (An employee said that the studio has never been so cold in the five years he's worked there.)  Thankfully, I prefer cooler temperatures than most.

By the way, all of the music sounded (to my ear) like the actual 1970s recordings.  That was a pleasant surprise.  And I was pleased to take part in an audience poll for use in a future Super Match round.  (It contained eight items in the "[word] _____" format and four in the "_____ [word]" format.  Presumably, most won't actually be used.)

I feel like I can cross something off my bucket list.  But not just yet, as I'm headed back tomorrow morning.  :)