Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: longest a show has been on the same station?  (Read 11338 times)

danderson

longest a show has been on the same station?
« on: January 31, 2016, 08:11:13 AM »
i know in my market Wheel and Jeopardy have been on the same station- WLOS in Asheville- since 1985 has anyone had a syndicated show stay on the same station for as long as Wheel and Jeoprday have been in my market?

Jeremy Nelson

Re: longest a show has been on the same station?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 10:03:05 AM »
ABC7 Chicago (WLS) has carried syndicated Wheel and Jeopardy for the entirety of those runs, and with the exception of Jeopardy running an hour earlier when Katie Couric had a talk show, they've been in the same time slots.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 10:49:59 AM »
"Wheel" and "Jeopardy" have been on WVEC since day one, although "Wheel" aired at 7:30 its first season. It moved to 7 when "Jeopardy" came along.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 03:52:36 PM »
"Wheel" has been on WPVI in Philadelphia, at 7:30, since its nighttime premiere. WHP in Harrisburg has carried "Wheel" and "Jeopardy" since 1984. They have been on at 7 and 7:30, respectively, since then, except for 1985-1986 when Kennedy PiR bumped J! out of its 7:30 spot.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 04:04:26 PM »
Has any market kept the current Feud on the same station since 1999? I know here in Norfolk, WTVZ has aired it since spring of 2003.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 04:28:33 PM »
Has any market kept the current Feud on the same station since 1999? I know here in Norfolk, WTVZ has aired it since spring of 2003.

Yep...WPMT ("Fox 43") in the Harrisburg-Lebanon-Lancaster-York market has had Feud since 1999...

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 11:09:59 PM »
•  Academic Challenge a.k.a. It's Academic has been on the air in various incarnations since 1964 on WEWS-TV 5 in Cleveland.  This show will have to go under the asterisk category as it is a seasonal show that has gone under multiple titles, had a few years in hiatus, but the show's concept is syndicated in various markets through Altman Prods.:

And although there have been photos of AC/IA posted on the form here before, here is a fresh batch of photos through the years of the show and studio.  Noticeably absent are photos of the set when they had the "Press Your Luck" type board for selecting categories:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/education/academic-challenge/through-the-years-academic-challenge-photos

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 12:46:37 AM »
And although there have been photos of AC/IA posted on the form here before, here is a fresh batch of photos through the years of the show and studio.  Noticeably absent are photos of the set when they had the "Press Your Luck" type board for selecting categories:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/education/academic-challenge/through-the-years-academic-challenge-photos
Pretty cool gallery! The early-70s set is giving me an ABC Password vibe. :-)

Meanwhile the early-2010s set looks like something from a trade show or press conference.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 12:57:20 AM »
WABC has had Jeopardy since halfway through its first season. They've had Wheel since either 1989 or 1990. Wheel has, as far as I know, always aired at 7:30 here regardless of station.

WWOR, with the exception of the second half of Louie's last year and Karn's entire second year, has had the current Feud since its premiere. In fact, they've carried the show in three separate eras: the best of rerun package from the Dawson era, the second half of the 1988 syndie era, and today's show. (I might even argue that the current series could count in its entirety as the only other station to air it is WNYW and they're a duopoly)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 01:35:39 AM »
IIRC, Current "Feud" in Chicago went from WPWR (1999-2001) to WCIU and then back to WPWR during the O'Hurley days. I'd file it under an asterisk in this case.

aaron sica

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:22:47 AM »
WABC has had Jeopardy since halfway through its first season. They've had Wheel since either 1989 or 1990. Wheel has, as far as I know, always aired at 7:30 here regardless of station.

September 1990 was when it made the switch - WABC previously had ET and WCBS previously had Wheel, and they switched spots. Not counting its airings on TV-55, it has always been on at 7:30 in NYC.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 01:30:50 PM »
•  Academic Challenge a.k.a. It's Academic has been on the air in various incarnations since 1964 on WEWS-TV 5 in Cleveland.
And it aired briefly on WVIZ-25, Cleveland's PBS affiliate, instead of WEWS for a year or two in the late 90s/early 2000s.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 01:34:13 PM »

Pretty cool gallery! The early-70s set is giving me an ABC Password vibe. :-)
Early 70s?  They had those hexagons until the early-to-mid 80s.  Very dated, but very memorable.

TimK2003

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 02:09:30 PM »
•  Academic Challenge a.k.a. It's Academic has been on the air in various incarnations since 1964 on WEWS-TV 5 in Cleveland.
And it aired briefly on WVIZ-25, Cleveland's PBS affiliate, instead of WEWS for a year or two in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Those were just same week replays of the WEWS shows, minus the commercials, IIRC.  There were a couple of years when the show did not air anywhere at all because they couldn't get sponsorships.

Looking at those photos, the earliest shows I remember was about 1975, when the question packets were displayed on the emcees podium.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 06:13:01 PM »

September 1990 was when it made the switch - WABC previously had ET and WCBS previously had Wheel, and they switched spots. Not counting its airings on TV-55, it has always been on at 7:30 in NYC.

Yep. And for awhile, they had what was called the Manhattan feed where if you lived outside of Nassau or Suffolk county, you weren't able to see the two shows on TV55 at all. Don't remember when that stopped.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022