Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC  (Read 239559 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC
« Reply #570 on: August 22, 2016, 08:25:02 PM »
I was expecting the full Bill Cullen treatment until he stood up to walk to the Winner's Circle. It looked like he had to steady himself on his partner for the step down from the platform, so doing the reverse could easily have made the usual entry a no-go.

He took his time for sure. The entrance at the top of the show needs to be done quickly, the walk to the WC not so much. The Cullen treatment was mostly because he asked not to be seen walking on camera. I think this was just an issue of logistics.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Nick

« Reply #571 on: August 23, 2016, 08:31:38 PM »
Either the game has been watered down a ton, or Fred Willard was much better than I expected.

I know nothing about Fred Willard, but I was surprised by his performance too.  As far as the game goes, I haven't been keeping score, but I'm seeing a lot of "not X, but..." leads to answers, which isn't bad in and of itself, but when 5% of the clues in a given hour are that, it sticks out.  It's no fun to be a contestant on the receiving end of a subject that's people's names, but tough categories like that are so much more fun to watch.

/I guess with seven words per six-subject round multiplied by four is 168 answers if you cover all of them, so 8.4?  OK, maybe that's a little high, but it still sticks out when you've heard it multiple times through an hour.

So how many more episodes are in the can for this run?  Zap2It's got a tag on this coming Sunday's show that says it's the finale, but I thought somebody said earlier in this thread a second show with Rosie O'Donnell and Kathy Najimy was taped.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:42:33 PM by Nick »
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #572 on: August 23, 2016, 09:10:43 PM »
Just got word today from ABC that the season finale of Pyramid will air in a different time slot.  It will be on Monday, September 12th at 10:01pm.

No word on Match Game's season finale yet.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #573 on: August 23, 2016, 09:18:45 PM »
Also on I think the third W/C where the contestant started to give a way-off clue on the easy first-box, I still don't get why they buzzed her right away even though she didn't get much of any clue out from that. The 80s judge did the same to David Graff on the "States ending in 'O'" on his "It's between--" clue.
The category was "Words that Begin With 'Z'".  Literally any word that doesn't start with a Z is an illegal clue. 

Even if we ignore that, "where" is a preposition--is starting a prepositional phrase grounds for a buzz?  (It would also explain your other example.)

My question is--how is "saggy" a synonym for "droop" yet "replica" isn't a synonym for "fake"?

Nick

« Reply #574 on: August 23, 2016, 09:22:43 PM »
My question is--how is "saggy" a synonym for "droop" yet "replica" isn't a synonym for "fake"?

Your semantic mileage may vary?  I don't know.  I mean, a replica does not necessarily imply fraud, whereas saggy and droop are pretty much the same thing.  If you uttered "counterfeit" on that clue, I think you'd deserve the buzz.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

chad1m

« Reply #575 on: August 23, 2016, 09:43:39 PM »
No word on Match Game's season finale yet.
It looks like that's currently scheduled for a week later in the same slot. Monday, September 19th at 10pm. Interesting placement - this is the third night that these shows have aired this summer season (but only the second in new episodes).

Webster defines droop as "sink, bend, or hang down" and sag as "to bend or hang down." Listed synonyms for droop include hang, sag, and wilt.

A fake is "not true or real" along with "meant to look real or genuine but not real or genuine" while a replica is "an exact or very close copy of something" - a close distinction, but there is one, since a replica can be a duplication of the real article. Fake's synonyms include artificial, bogus, faux and sham, but no replica.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:03:58 PM by chad1m »

TimK2003

« Reply #576 on: August 23, 2016, 11:28:33 PM »
Just got word today from ABC that the season finale of Pyramid will air in a different time slot.  It will be on Monday, September 12th at 10:01pm.

I take it this special Monday episode (and probably 1 hour-long episode each of Feud and MG) is due to adding the week of reruns on the first Sunday of the Olympics and now they have an extra set of episodes that need timeslots?  Emmys are on the 18th and the new primetime Sunday Night season starts the 25th.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #577 on: August 24, 2016, 02:50:00 AM »

I take it this special Monday episode (and probably 1 hour-long episode each of Feud and MG) is due to adding the week of reruns on the first Sunday of the Olympics and now they have an extra set of episodes that need timeslots?  Emmys are on the 18th and the new primetime Sunday Night season starts the 25th.

Yeah, I think it was a last second decision to push things back to avoid that first Olympic Sunday.  It isn't a bad move putting the shows on after the season premiere of Dancing with the Stars and (in Match Game's case) the subsequent second week.

GameShowGuru

« Reply #578 on: August 26, 2016, 11:48:09 PM »

Here's the official rule for what constitutes a synonym: It must fall into the same lexical category for it to be a synonym (nouns for nouns, verbs for verbs, etc.).  Having said that, saggy actually is NOT a synonym for droop; the former is an adjective, the latter can be either a noun or a verb, it can only be an adjective if the word is "droopY".

OTOH, replica and fake actually are synonyms; they are both nouns.

Hope this helps.

Fedya

« Reply #579 on: August 27, 2016, 06:34:59 AM »
I can imagine Bob Stewart in the control room letting out an anonymous buzz if Dick Clark tried this argument, and everybody on stage having a good laugh at the "judge".
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #580 on: August 27, 2016, 10:04:01 AM »
OTOH, replica and fake actually are synonyms; they are both nouns.
I guess I have to disagree with this.  When I hear the word "replica", I think of something that was authorized for purchase, such as a Super Bowl ring.  A "fake" is what you see at mall kiosks hawking purses and sunglasses.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Unrealtor

« Reply #581 on: August 27, 2016, 10:46:46 AM »

My feeling at first was that saggy/droop was kind of iffy because it was possible to droop without sagging (as with a fruit hanging from a tree), but Merriam-Webster's definition of "sag" literally starts with "to droop," so it's kind of difficult to argue that "sag" doesn't always mean "droop."

Replica/fake felt alright to me. Yes, "replica" is double-talk for "fake" when it's used in the term "replica handbags", but it's kind of a bank shot off of both words being able to apply to a third concept (imitation,) and the two aren't necessarily the same thing otherwise.

Here's the official rule for what constitutes a synonym: It must fall into the same lexical category for it to be a synonym (nouns for nouns, verbs for verbs, etc.).

Official based on who? Because if that's the rules Pyramid actually plays under, I'll eat my hat.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #582 on: August 27, 2016, 01:29:06 PM »
Here's the official rule for what constitutes a synonym: It must fall into the same lexical category for it to be a synonym (nouns for nouns, verbs for verbs, etc.).

Official based on who? Because if that's the rules Pyramid actually plays under, I'll eat my hat.

Yeah, I'd be curious to know the source for this as well. (And I'm not accusing anyone of there not being one.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

calliaume

« Reply #583 on: August 27, 2016, 06:35:07 PM »

Yeah, I think it was a last second decision to push things back to avoid that first Olympic Sunday.  It isn't a bad move putting the shows on after the season premiere of Dancing with the Stars and (in Match Game's case) the subsequent second week.
They're also avoiding the first week of Sunday Night Football on NBC, which pretty much takes up Sunday evenings and cleans up in the ratings.  Of course, this means they go up against Monday Night Football on ESPN, but something has to air then, I suppose.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #584 on: August 28, 2016, 08:55:11 AM »

They're also avoiding the first week of Sunday Night Football on NBC, which pretty much takes up Sunday evenings and cleans up in the ratings.  Of course, this means they go up against Monday Night Football on ESPN, but something has to air then, I suppose.
I know NFL is king among the Big 4 sports in the ratings right now, but even then, it's still on ESPN. DWTS and other Monday night programming such as Big Bang Theory pull in just as good if not better ratings. Monday Night Football will also be hurt later on down the road when they're stuck with less than desirable games without the ability to flex its games like NBC can on Sundays.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.