Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC  (Read 238763 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC
« Reply #420 on: July 04, 2016, 10:33:57 PM »
With decent sums of money on the line, I can't say I'd want my full name and hometown out there, lest some scammers and unsavory people try and make contact with me.

If you really have concerns about that, DON'T APPEAR ON NATIONAL NETWORK TELEVISION.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

snowpeck

« Reply #421 on: July 04, 2016, 10:45:15 PM »
Definitely out of order. Reports earlier in the thread said Strahan taped two intros for each show so they could play as either half of the show. They also taped two shows with Rosie and Kathy back-to-back and only one has aired so far.

The point Chad is making is that there is definitely some planning and intent as to what episodes they air when, which is the opposite of "random."
I wasn't speaking to Chad's point. I was adding my two cents to answering the question posed.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #422 on: July 04, 2016, 11:24:19 PM »
ABC's press releases (available on thefutoncritic) always gove the players' full names, so privacy doesn't seem to be the concern.
@lambertman

clemon79

« Reply #423 on: July 04, 2016, 11:46:06 PM »
I noticed that the synopsis on the WatchABC app on Roku (and presumably other platforms) mentioned everyone by full name as well.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #424 on: July 05, 2016, 12:09:01 AM »
With decent sums of money on the line, I can't say I'd want my full name and hometown out there, lest some scammers and unsavory people try and make contact with me.
Are they not trying to do that now? Sure, there's a difference between someone trying to snooker you out of a hundred grand and the person who asks if you have spare change so you'll open your wallet and be bludgeoned by her partner-in-crime, but it's one of degrees. Are you saying that you're not up to the task of protecting your windfall? Because I'm sure that you're careful about your earnings the rest of the times.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #425 on: July 05, 2016, 12:15:55 AM »
This has been a trend for shows going back to Weakest Link, 15 years ago. Although the idea makes sense, I doubt it's about privacy laws or a state by state thing, considering Millionaire displayed full names on screen, even when it taped in NYC.

I'm thinking it's just one of those things where the producers don't do it "because". And I don't mean that to be a smartass; it's just a thing where they feel you don't need to know the players' surnames. If I meet someone at the bar or some event, I don't usually tell them my full name because, unless we decide to become Facebook friends or network, it's not really pressing information I need right then and there.

So yeah, I could see the same idea applying to the full name of someone I'm only watching on TV for half an hour. I know we're used to the formalities and all, but some shows do it, others don't.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #426 on: July 05, 2016, 12:18:53 AM »
Not for nothing, I always liked that Tic Tac Dough displayed the names, and disliked that Joker's Wild did it. I can see why $25,000 Pyramid didn't, but there y'are. I've always looked at Millionaire choosing to do it as part of that getting to know you, similar to Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.

/Chopped and Guy's Grocery Games do it, Cutthroat Kitchen doesn't really do it.
//Every contestant who summits the Pyramid giving the clues owes Keefe Ferrendini a cut of the money.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #427 on: July 05, 2016, 12:21:50 AM »
Are you saying that you're not up to the task of protecting your windfall? Because I'm sure that you're careful about your earnings the rest of the times.
I have no problem telling some scammer to cram it, but it shouldn't be as easy as doing a Google search to obtain people's personal information, including their home address.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #428 on: July 05, 2016, 12:24:22 AM »
Thirty years ago entrants in the TPIR Home Viewer Play Along events were including their social security number on the entry postcard. It's a different world that we live in now and refusing to adjust for that is going to close you off from lots of opportunities.
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

« Reply #429 on: July 05, 2016, 11:18:05 AM »
Thirty years ago entrants in the TPIR Home Viewer Play Along events were including their social security number on the entry postcard. It's a different world that we live in now and refusing to adjust for that is going to close you off from lots of opportunities.

Back in my college days, exam scores were posted on the window of the professor's office and usually listed by social security number, as they wanted to keep student's names confidential.  My how times have changed.

Going back a bit further about 50 years ago, you had game shows announcing home contest winners which included their home street address in addition to their city and state.  That was common for radio stations as well.

Now off my lawn!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #430 on: July 05, 2016, 09:05:35 PM »
Proposed:  This version of Pyramid is even more exciting a show to watch than $25K was in its heyday.

Hear me out.  Game play isn't as good, and that's my point.  In the old days, game play was all, so much so that Stewart eventually had his cadre of great game players who rotated through the final years.  And if, god forbid, Teresa Ganzel only got six in one round, it meant she was probably going to lose 21-20.  Today, everybody's trying hard, but nobody's perfect.  Fives and sixes are just as likely as sevens, and if you stumble and waste a lot of time on one clue, you may get even less.  It's still early (and we're probably due for a clunker or two buried in the middle of the run), but right now I find the lack of perfection refreshing and more fun to watch.

Put another way, back in the old days, seven was assumed.  Now, seven happens often enough, but it's still a cause for celebration, not a sure thing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #431 on: July 05, 2016, 09:59:34 PM »
Put another way, back in the old days, seven was assumed.  Now, seven happens often enough, but it's still a cause for celebration, not a sure thing.
Amen
This signature is currently under construction.

Neumms

« Reply #432 on: July 06, 2016, 02:31:19 PM »
And if, god forbid, Teresa Ganzel only got six in one round, it meant she was probably going to lose 21-20.

Great point, and why Donny's 6-in-25-seconds may have been good in theory, but the celebs weren't bright enough.

On another topic, I always loved when Dick would play out unanswered subjects and was annoyed that Donny didn't, but it's so obvious that Strahan is handed a clue on his way back out, I'm not sure what to think.

clemon79

« Reply #433 on: July 06, 2016, 03:11:08 PM »
but it's so obvious that Strahan is handed a clue on his way back out, I'm not sure what to think.

Since you clearly have your own preconceived notions about Strahan and this show I certainly won't suggest what you should think, but for the benefit of the class I will point out that I don't find it "obvious" in the least.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #434 on: July 06, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »
but it's so obvious that Strahan is handed a clue on his way back out, I'm not sure what to think.

Since you clearly have your own preconceived notions about Strahan and this show I certainly won't suggest what you should think, but for the benefit of the class I will point out that I don't find it "obvious" in the least.

Since I'm certain more than a few of us agree with your assessment, for the sake of knowing where both sides stand I would ask Neumms to elaborate on this ax he is grinding.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022