Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC  (Read 238816 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC
« Reply #375 on: July 02, 2016, 08:07:06 PM »
Well then--it's settled. Nobody can ever say anything nuanced or negative about a game show ever again lest they start a Thunder storm.
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #376 on: July 02, 2016, 08:34:58 PM »
I see what you did there, and I'll give that a Half True. Help yourself to a plateful of negativity, but when it comes to nuances as nitpicky as that... I draw the line and am going to return fire.

Dick Clark & Bob Stewart are dead. Some change is inevitable just considering the difference from then to now. 

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #377 on: July 02, 2016, 10:25:18 PM »
but when it comes to nuances as nitpicky as that... I draw the line and am going to return fire.
Why is it that you get to draw the line? It seems that the population in general does a good enough job of saying "Nope, that's over the line," and there are a handful of things I wish they would do differently. (For example, I miss the count-up on a failed winner's circle. It doesn't ruin the show that they're not doing it, but it was one of those little things that I thought added something to the post-play discussion.)
Travis L. Eberle

Unrealtor

« Reply #378 on: July 02, 2016, 10:54:56 PM »
I agree with Thunder, at least in that it seems like a lot of the nitpicks people are bringing up are things that have changed about game show production in general in the last 30 years. No, the music wasn't essential and wasn't there in the golden age of Pyramid, but having music where they had music is pretty standard now and it was mixed pretty low. No, we don't really need to see that closeup of the host mid-round, but, in 2016, there's no way a director would sit on a static shot of two seated people for 30+ seconds.

They clearly went out of their way to replicate the production design of the old show, and it feels more like a legacy show than a completely new production, but there's only so much you can do to stop the march of time.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Thunder

« Reply #379 on: July 02, 2016, 11:14:14 PM »
but when it comes to nuances as nitpicky as that... I draw the line and am going to return fire.
Why is it that you get to draw the line?

Because I'm the one getting upon my own Box-O-Soap and speaking my opinion. It's subject to challenge and I highly encourage people to do just that if they think I'm an idiot. That forces me to defend my opinion and learn more about others.

Fedya

« Reply #380 on: July 03, 2016, 07:31:43 AM »
It's far worse when they use such music beds in what is supposed to be news.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Nick

« Reply #381 on: July 03, 2016, 09:16:59 AM »
No, we don't really need to see that closeup of the host mid-round, but, in 2016, there's no way a director would sit on a static shot of two seated people for 30+ seconds.

I challenge that ideology, but seeing as I'd lose that battle, I say at least keep the clock on screen when you do that.  Losing it was probably more annoying than the changing of shots itself.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #382 on: July 03, 2016, 10:59:40 AM »
Why is it that you get to draw the line? It seems that the population in general does a good enough job of saying "Nope, that's over the line," and there are a handful of things I wish they would do differently. (For example, I miss the count-up on a failed winner's circle.
Does that truly take away from your viewing of the show?  It adds (or takes away) very little, especially when your host struggles with math and can't calculate $650 correctly.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 11:15:50 AM by Dbacksfan12 »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Unrealtor

« Reply #383 on: July 03, 2016, 11:48:25 AM »
No, we don't really need to see that closeup of the host mid-round, but, in 2016, there's no way a director would sit on a static shot of two seated people for 30+ seconds.

I challenge that ideology, but seeing as I'd lose that battle, I say at least keep the clock on screen when you do that.  Losing it was probably more annoying than the changing of shots itself.

I don't particularly defend the practice, just assert its inevitability. I mentioned cutting to Michael mid-round because that bugged me in a way that the different shots of the people actually playing the round didn't, and I'm with you on the clock, as well as the word in play. I remember one moment when I didn't know what the clue-giver was going for because the previous word had just been guessed and they weren't showing the front of the desk at that moment.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #384 on: July 03, 2016, 01:50:52 PM »
Possibly the best souvenir that I got from the day I went to a taping was this picture of me and a woman in the audience. She picked me in that Dating Game minigame that I talked about earlier. We danced on the set while Michael watched and Kathy and Rosie got prepared for the next show. Tom Kelly, the warm up guy, took the picture and recently sent it to me. I didn't even notice Strahan photobombing us in the background. It's definitely a picture I'll cherish.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Thunder

« Reply #385 on: July 03, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »
That is awesome!

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #386 on: July 03, 2016, 10:44:16 PM »
Possibly the best souvenir that I got from the day I went to a taping was this picture of me and a woman in the audience. She picked me in that Dating Game minigame that I talked about earlier. We danced on the set while Michael watched and Kathy and Rosie got prepared for the next show. Tom Kelly, the warm up guy, took the picture and recently sent it to me. I didn't even notice Strahan photobombing us in the background. It's definitely a picture I'll cherish.

That...is AWESOME.

As for my take on this Pyramid, I love it. This is a good idea on how to update the look while keeping core gameplay. My only nitpick (which is extremely small in nature) is the challenge of the Winner's Circle categories. The difficulty could be upped by a little bit when big money like this is on the line. However, that's just the thinker in me talking. Strahan is a great host and carries the show very well. I hope this gets shopped for Five-day-a-week syndication sometime in the future.

The Inquisitive One

/good to be back
// <--- is this still a thing?
This is the Way.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #387 on: July 04, 2016, 12:36:40 AM »
I hate to take away from JJ's good times and all, but talking about the new and old ways: I think I would be OK with either the think music or cutaways (I would prefer the think music if it built to a crescendo like on Celebrity Name Game) but having both in one round is distracting.

OK, I must prevail upon the tribunal, because in the first winner's circle the cluegiver was buzzed for saying "memories" as conveying the answer "Things you Remember." Michael says that it was an inadvertent buzz so she picked up a further $4,000, but it seems like that was a perfectly legitimate buzz.

Aw, and she Bobbled on the "what a Thing would say" box as well.
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #388 on: July 04, 2016, 01:26:57 AM »
Give her the car anyway!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #389 on: July 04, 2016, 01:29:44 AM »
Give her the car anyway!
That'll be next on Match Game. Choose Rosie for the head-to-head and she'll guilt-give you whatever thing you were looking to win money to buy your own damn self.
Travis L. Eberle