Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC  (Read 238787 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC
« Reply #330 on: June 28, 2016, 02:18:02 AM »
Anthony obviously didn't know the nuances of the game, especially when yelling the same answer over and over again, but his energy and effort showed me that he could, with some practice (and a little focus), turn into a decent partner.

No, the SECOND HE TRIED TO PHYSICALLY INTERFERE WITH A CIVILIAN CONTESTANT PLAYING THE GAME, that sealed the deal: he should never be allowed near a game show ever again. That was as bush league as bush league gets.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #331 on: June 28, 2016, 05:00:46 AM »
Just a thought: I was thinking that, in a game where the last team can only tie their opponents, Michael could tell that team they need to get all 7 in less than x seconds to win.  Similarly, if one team is 6 points behind, they'd be told to score either 6 in less than x seconds or all 7 to win.

Saw the premiere, loved it, looking forward to more!  Well done, ABC and Sony!
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #332 on: June 28, 2016, 09:52:33 AM »
Anthony obviously didn't know the nuances of the game, especially when yelling the same answer over and over again, but his energy and effort showed me that he could, with some practice (and a little focus), turn into a decent partner.

No, the SECOND HE TRIED TO PHYSICALLY INTERFERE WITH A CIVILIAN CONTESTANT PLAYING THE GAME, that sealed the deal: he should never be allowed near a game show ever again. That was as bush league as bush league gets.

Agreed, he should never do that, but it was clearly obvious he was going to lose, and he knew it. Keep him on Feud and TTTT. Put him on Match Game.
insert signature here

BillCullen1

« Reply #333 on: June 28, 2016, 10:26:23 AM »

They can choose to receive, though the producers strongly suggest to the players they give so they don't lose the big money if the celeb fouls up...

One of the producers wrote on Facebook that they reminded the contestants that while they might have practiced the game, the celebrities haven't. That led to what we're seeing now. [/quote]

In the old days, when the celebs did five shows, they came in before the tapings and rehearsed with old material. I'm guessing they're not doing that now.

Of the three game shows on Sunday, I like this one best. Looking forward to seeing the Pyramid shows I saw in person with Randall Park and Dr. Ken. Those were exciting - you'll see.

NickS

« Reply #334 on: June 28, 2016, 10:32:19 AM »

That, and the static he gave the female player when she made the decision to give clues. Unprofessional as it gets, yo.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #335 on: June 28, 2016, 10:52:33 AM »
I'm going to get off the "Anthony Anderson is a jerk" train for just a moment to remind everyone that the last time that he was involved in a game show for ABC, it was a game where there was no prize at stake, and the game was just a vehicle for interaction between the people on the stage.

I'm willing to posit that if he wasn't familiar with the source material before he got on stage, and nobody told him that he has to play the game straight, then he may have made his own assumptions.

(OTOH, if someone in-the-know wants to say that he just blew off prep and didn't care, then this can be a case of "F that guy".)
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

« Reply #336 on: June 28, 2016, 10:56:43 AM »
Agreed, he should never do that, but it was clearly obvious he was going to lose, and he knew it.

No. No but. You don't do that, period. It's a game to him, but it's a chance to make a whole damn lot of money to the contestants. This wasn't a celebrity acting a fool on their own time and screwing over a charity in the process, this was WAY over the line. I hope someone ripped him a new arsehole after that, but I suspect I'd be disappointed.

clemon79

« Reply #337 on: June 28, 2016, 11:03:45 AM »
I'm willing to posit that if he wasn't familiar with the source material before he got on stage, and nobody told him that he has to play the game straight, then he may have made his own assumptions.

Huh-uh. Doesn't matter. If you are so tone-deaf to civilian life to realize that $50K (hell, $5K, and you pretty much have to be a garden slug not to pick up at least $5K in that Winner's Circle) is a non-trivial amount of money worth being a little serious over, then, as you say, fark that guy. That's not a "he wasn't briefed" thing, that's just common sense and common courtesy.

parliboy

« Reply #338 on: June 28, 2016, 12:21:32 PM »

Huh-uh. Doesn't matter. If you are so tone-deaf to civilian life to realize that $50K (hell, $5K, and you pretty much have to be a garden slug not to pick up at least $5K in that Winner's Circle) is a non-trivial amount of money worth being a little serious over, then, as you say, fark that guy. That's not a "he wasn't briefed" thing, that's just common sense and common courtesy.

Maybe.  But how is that different from Hollywood Game Night?  Does anyone take that super-seriously with 25k on the line?

I'm not saying invite him back, because he's not strong enough at the game to justify it anyway.  I'm just saying we're not in the room to know exactly why it happened the way it did.  We're exposed to so much Pyramid that we get it.  To him, this is a revival of some old game show that hasn't been on the air in 15 years (outside of a quickie cable series that most people don't remember).

Did they sit him down and make him watch Pyramid first?  Or was he doing it cold?  Did they do meaningful practice before the broadcast?  How did they prep the celebrities?  These are all important factors.  And if the production does not do their part to get him ready before he went out there, they have to share the responsibility for that.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #339 on: June 28, 2016, 12:43:03 PM »
Did they sit him down and make him watch Pyramid first?  Or was he doing it cold?  Did they do meaningful practice before the broadcast?  How did they prep the celebrities?  These are all important factors. 

There's plenty of celebrity briefing and practice OFFERED. If you're a big-deal sitcom star, you might blow it off. And in the heat of the moment, knowing your partner was about to lose, you might do something you'd never do with a little more reflection. While the Winner's Circle hand straps are frequently discussed, I doubt anybody ever said, "Oh, and by the way, don't mess with the other team."  BECAUSE THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. That was a stupid thing to do, obviously.  If there was any chance it affected the outcome of the game, I'm confident steps would have been taken. (And if it had been on any other than the winning clue, it probably would have been edited such that we'd never have known it happened.)

czambo@mac.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #340 on: June 28, 2016, 12:50:11 PM »
I'm kinda on the fence here. I took it as him possibly having too much fun, to the point of being disruptive, kinda like "That Guy" who takes Game Night a little too seriously. Yeah, it crossed the line and there's 50K on the line here...but at the same time it's also moot because a) he stunk at the game and b) the contestant needed, what? Two or so correct responses (I forget)?

The opponent more or less had the win in the bag; if it were a 21-14 scenario or had she picked the Mystery 7, then yeah, I'd be more willing to pull a yellow card. Regardless, props to her for not being rattled by it. I could see that going a much different way, esp. if it's a close game.

But again, moot point because Anthony was terrible, so I wouldn't be calling him for future episodes anyway.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #341 on: June 28, 2016, 12:56:18 PM »
I doubt anybody ever said, "Oh, and by the way, don't mess with the other team."  BECAUSE THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. That was a stupid thing to do, obviously.  If there was any chance it affected the outcome of the game, I'm confident steps would have been taken. (And if it had been on any other than the winning clue, it probably would have been edited such that we'd never have known it happened.)

Very much this. Especially the first line. Yes, moot point because it was in the bag anyhow, but it was still a dick move however you slice it and Anderson's a dick for doing it.

And it's too bad, because up until Sunday night I liked the guy. (And I even say that after TTTT. :)) But that was a dick move.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #342 on: June 28, 2016, 01:28:24 PM »
Yes the game was in the bag.

However, this a contestant on a game show for the first time

She could possibly be upset enough at Anderson violating her personal space it could distract in the winner's circle.

clemon79

« Reply #343 on: June 28, 2016, 01:30:36 PM »
Yes the game was in the bag.

However, this a contestant on a game show for the first time

She could possibly be upset enough at Anderson violating her personal space it could distract in the winner's circle.

Spoken like a true lawyer. :)

parliboy

« Reply #344 on: June 28, 2016, 01:45:14 PM »
Did they sit him down and make him watch Pyramid first?  Or was he doing it cold?  Did they do meaningful practice before the broadcast?  How did they prep the celebrities?  These are all important factors. 

There's plenty of celebrity briefing and practice OFFERED.

There is?  Well then, F that guy.