Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC  (Read 238792 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC
« Reply #180 on: April 22, 2016, 07:04:44 PM »

And Travis's (correct) point is: that has nothing whatsoever to do with "irony".

Doesn't it? The most watchable of the two seasons featured one of the most unwatchable panelists? I'd consider that irony, at least for people who share those sentiments about Poundstone.

Somehow I don't think BillCullen1 was thinking that way when he typed it out...otherwise he would've said as much IMO.

I read it from his post. I'll give him credit for it.
I'm with Kevin and immediately picked up that vibe. Not everything has to be spelled out to fit everyone's standards; if he wanted to expound, I'm sure he can.

And I shall respect your perspectives and offer you a cold one of your choice should we ever cross paths. :)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

chad1m

« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2016, 07:47:15 PM »
Celebrities that have played the last few days include Justin Long, Tony Hale, Martha Stewart, Alfonso Ribeiro, Mario Batali and Snoop Dogg.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #182 on: April 22, 2016, 07:52:21 PM »
And I shall respect your perspectives and offer you a cold one of your choice should we ever cross paths. :)

Well met. Second one's on me.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #183 on: April 22, 2016, 08:25:33 PM »
Snoop Dogg.

Coolio...wasn't available? :D
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #184 on: April 22, 2016, 10:07:49 PM »

Well met. Second one's on me.
This is how all disagreements should be handled. I'll buy the third round. :)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Flerbert419

« Reply #185 on: April 23, 2016, 12:17:21 AM »
I attended the afternoon taping yesterday and can confirm pretty much what everybody else has said: this is classic Pyramid delightfully updated for the modern era.

I was surprised at how well Michael blended in and seemed to compliment the celebrity guests rather than overpower them.

There were a number of scenarios that came up during gameplay that were handled perfectly...except one, but I suppose in today's world there isn't much you can do about it.

TimK2003

« Reply #186 on: April 23, 2016, 01:59:25 AM »
Are both the front game category titles and the Winners Circle categories like the original Bob Stewart categories, or were they still Donnymid-ish ("Things Regis Philbin's Coffee Mug Would Say", for example)? 

The cutesy, category titles were fine on Win Ben Stein's Money, but not so on Donnymid.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #187 on: April 23, 2016, 02:31:49 AM »
Are both the front game category titles and the Winners Circle categories like the original Bob Stewart categories, or were they still Donnymid-ish ("Things Regis Philbin's Coffee Mug Would Say", for example)?

Based on the unequivocal praise, I suspect strongly if there were any weird categories, we'd know by now.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #188 on: April 23, 2016, 02:44:12 AM »

There were a number of scenarios that came up during gameplay that were handled perfectly...except one, but I suppose in today's world there isn't much you can do about it.

Flagging this until such a time when you're at liberty to discuss it.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #189 on: April 23, 2016, 04:28:52 AM »
Snoop Dogg.

Coolio...wasn't available? :D

Surprisingly, yes. (Well, maybe not surprisingly, but humor me because I looked it up :) )

He's joining Vanilla Ice, Salt-N-Pepa, Tone Loc, All-4-One, Biz Markie, and a few others on a tour starting next week. Depending on the date, different people might be performing. Coolio is booked for 22 of those dates.

http://www.mtv.com/artists/coolio/tourdates/
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

mmm111

« Reply #190 on: April 23, 2016, 08:54:55 AM »

The cutesy, category titles were fine on Win Ben Stein's Money, but not so on Donnymid.

They are Bob Stewart categories in both the main game (both title and content) and the Winner's Circle round.  If you liked the cutesy puns, you're in for a treat.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #191 on: April 23, 2016, 01:42:17 PM »
So did the show employ punnery or not?
Travis L. Eberle

Clay Zambo

« Reply #192 on: April 23, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »

Ish. Not heinous punnery, but I've seen a few that I gave me no earthly idea what the items in the category would be.
czambo@mac.com

aaron sica

« Reply #193 on: April 23, 2016, 06:54:30 PM »

Ish. Not heinous punnery, but I've seen a few that I gave me no earthly idea what the items in the category would be.

I thought of it like this: some are like Jeopardy categories, in the sense that it's nothing to do with the name but will make you chuckle a bit.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #194 on: April 23, 2016, 06:57:39 PM »
Right, but there's a difference between the short-and-snappy titles where you only have three lines of twelve letters on the little plastic sheet, and the shaggy dog stories that would be smushed into eight point font on Win Ben Stein's Money. And there's a place for those set-ups--I don't think Pyramid is necessarily it.
Travis L. Eberle