Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC announces "The Wall"  (Read 34513 times)

Matt Ottinger

Re: NBC announces "The Wall"
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2016, 06:42:31 PM »
A Plinko diagram once showed that dropping the chip from the middle not surprisingly gives you a better chance of hitting the middle slot,

The underlying mathematical exercise is named for a guy who lived in the 17th century, and people were studying this concept centuries before him.  Believe me when I say there's a body of work that predates 1983.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

CJBojangles

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2016, 10:30:24 AM »
Cripes, is it possible to have one new show that isn't filled with "COMING UP..." bumpers before every break? It's very tiresome to have to look away from and/or mute the TV so the remainder isn't completely spoiled. Are those teases really what are keeping people tuned in the full hour?

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2016, 11:41:32 AM »
That's part of the big problem - full hour. Anything that can eat up minutes is thrown our way when, as others have said, you toss a 10-minute game into an hour slot. At least TPIR has dozens of different mini-games, and, whether one likes it or not, Brady and crew are being told to "make the show their own" by stretching out of the classic game show host mold, as per that recent interview. If you can't make every minute potentially entertaining in one way or another, can the crap. You're wasting our time. You bring up a good point. Imagine NCIS or Criminal Minds doing a potentially spoiling "coming up" before each commercial break. 

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2016, 12:14:44 PM »
If trivia determined the color of more of the balls, it would add skill and give them more game to fill out the hour.

It also randomizes the potential payouts that much more, which is not desirable from a host of different financial standpoints, chief of which being: the more random your payouts, the higher premium you pay insuring against said payouts, and that's sunk cost regardless of what you actually end up paying out.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2016, 12:51:40 PM »
Cripes, is it possible to have one new show that isn't filled with "COMING UP..." bumpers before every break? It's very tiresome to have to look away from and/or mute the TV so the remainder isn't completely spoiled. Are those teases really what are keeping people tuned in the full hour?
This reminds me of a question that I had...do they suddenly cut to commercial in the middle of a drop?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

colonial

« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2016, 12:55:22 PM »
I don't think they went to commercial mid-drop in the premiere, but we still have several episodes to go.

Loogaroo

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2016, 03:15:29 AM »
Just posted my opinion of the show, for anyone interested.

Honestly, there wasn't anything about the show that was aggressively bad. It just went in my brain and went right back out without really hitting anything. I'll probably watch the shows in January if nothing else is going on, but it's hardly appointment TV.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2016, 12:15:49 PM »
I finally remembered what this show reminded me of, flaws and all, though the "game" of it couldn't be any different.  This crowd (and pretty much ONLY this crowd) will remember the blink-and-you-missed-it You Deserve It.  There are a lot of similarities, primarily the casting of uplifting stories rather than contestants, and the inherent flaw of your jackpot going down rather than up.  I happened to like the earlier one a lot more because I enjoyed the playalong value of the puzzles, and of course the reveal to someone who doesn't even know what's happening is a lot better than the artificiality of The Wall's final act.  But both were/are badly flawed.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2016, 12:18:50 PM »
My brother and I considered auditioning for this one, as they had A TON (a dozen?) of auditions in the Akron/Cleveland area, but we never followed through.

Having seen the show, I don't think we would have had a compelling enough story to make it.

TimK2003

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2016, 06:43:12 PM »
And if you were wondering when Monday Night's winners got paid, it was today:

cyclone45

« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2016, 03:38:19 PM »
Wait, they got hard CASH?? You'd think they'd get a check.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2016, 05:39:44 PM »
Wait, they got hard CASH?? You'd think they'd get a check.

LeBron had the cash on him, soo.....:)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2016, 01:38:17 AM »
So, I finally sat down and watched this, and I do have a question:

If the contestants are fully apprised of the rules, then they knew how much was being added to the guarantee for each right answer.  In which case, what's with this horseshit they were throwing around that he thought he only got two correct?

Rigged, no.  Dramatized like hell, yes.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2016, 01:39:52 AM »
So, I finally sat down and watched this, and I do have a question:

If the contestants are fully apprised of the rules, then they knew how much was being added to the guarantee for each right answer.  In which case, what's with this horseshit they were throwing around that he thought he only got two correct?

Rigged, no.  Dramatized like hell, yes.
It's very possible that they aren't completely apprised of the rules. Which also means that if this somehow makes it to another series that everyone else will know the dilemma.

Not for nothing, but a pair of contestants vaulted to #9 on the all-time winnings list for answering a handful of cake-easy quiz questions and being a bit fortunate.
Travis L. Eberle

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2016, 06:26:08 AM »
As I understood while watching he did not know the final amount of the guarantee.

He knew it was the originial amount plus the amounts for right answers.   He had to estimate the final amount and did not think he added much .