Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PLUG: "The Matchless Gene Rayburn"  (Read 10301 times)

BillCullen1

Re: PLUG: "The Matchless Gene Rayburn"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 08:00:59 PM »
If this is anything like the book you did on Bill Cullen, you have another hit on the best-seller list. I'll probably get this for myself as a Christmas  _________ stuffer -in the true tradition of MG  ;D

Thunder

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 09:54:03 PM »
Sadly, the price killed my desire to buy this book.  :(

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 10:35:16 PM »
Go to your local library and turn that frown upside down!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 03:39:54 AM »

Or wait for the Kindle version! There will be a Kindle version, right? RIGHT? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 05:55:47 PM »

Or wait for the Kindle version! There will be a Kindle version, right? RIGHT? :)
'Twill.

geno57

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 03:58:55 AM »
Just now bought the hardcover, via AmazonSmile.  Had to save my pennies, these last couple of months. Looking forward to reading it, since the Bill Cullen book was so beautifully researched and written.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 12:54:04 PM »
Woo!

(Your publisher could still stand to learn something about ebooks, though. Man is that an enormous file by ebook standards.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

geno57

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 07:29:46 PM »
My hardcover copy just arrived.  Very nice cover and binding job.  It will last a couple of lifetimes, I bet. Again, Adam ... Kudos to you, sir.

johnnyd1788

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 10:04:57 AM »
I received my paperback version the other day and I am devouring it. Once again Adam did it again with a great deal of information, including amazing photos throughout Gene's years!

Well done, Mr. Nedoff. :)

Eric Paddon

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 06:08:52 PM »
Purchased the kindle version and enjoyed going through it immensely.      Like the Cullen biography, so many great and fascinating stories about not just game shows but broadcasting in general from this era of the 40s to 80s would have been otherwise lost but for the boldness and willingness to take on these projects.     The stories about Gene at WNEW are as important as his game show career for those like me also fascinated by NY radio history.

Only error I spotted is that the "antipasto" bit on MG would come when Gene would do a Boris Karloff impression, not Lugosi.   On one episode Richard I think said how saying the word "antipasto" was somehow the key to getting a perfect Karloff imitation.

geno57

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 03:30:36 AM »
Just finished the book (hardcover version), and it's WONNNNNNNderful, as G.R. might have shouted.

When I was a kid, I remember Gene starring in a play for several weeks at Chicago's Playboy Theatre.  This wasn't mentioned in the "Resume" section of the book.  I am not 100% certain, but I think the show was Gypsy, which would have placed it around 1965.

I wanted to go and see it so badly, but I was only around 9 or 10 years old, and it definitely wasn't for kids.  I was so disappointed!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 11:27:29 AM »
When I was a kid, I remember Gene starring in a play for several weeks at Chicago's Playboy Theatre.  This wasn't mentioned in the "Resume" section of the book.  I am not 100% certain, but I think the show was Gypsy, which would have placed it around 1965.

Impressive memory.  Check out the bottom of the Tower Ticker column.  Gene co-starred with Margaret ("Maggie") Whiting at the Tenthouse Theatre in August, 1965.  This would have been right in the middle of the original run of The Match Game.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1965/08/10/page/18/article/tower-ticker
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 03:08:05 PM »

Then that's a slip-up on my part because I mention it in the main body of the book and you'll even see the Stagebill cover for it.