Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ray Combs Family Feud Question  (Read 13444 times)

GSRebich

Ray Combs Family Feud Question
« on: August 29, 2015, 12:34:54 AM »
Since Family Feud is a Goodson-Todman game show and the Ray Combs version was made for CBS (the daytime version), then how come it didn't use the same sound effects from The Price Is Right?

The reason I'm asking this is because most G-T game shows on CBS from the 1970s and 1980s used those sound effects.

BrandonFG

Re: Ray Combs Family Feud Question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 12:40:34 AM »
My guess is the SFX used on Dawson's version were a little more unique, more distinct, unlike other revivals that aired on different networks (Card Sharks for example). Something like the CBS bell would sound odd for a correct survey answer, compared to the <CLANG!> that's used to this day. Same goes for the more "hollow" sounding CBS buzz.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 02:04:02 AM »
What's the extent of the Price Is Right SFX, though? The CBS ding and their own buzzers?

Now You See It used a couple of Classic Concentration FX, which if I'm not mistaken originated on Trivia Trap, right? Pretty sure I'm in Proof or Not Real territory here, because it seemed like the sound effects crossed over from Goodson show to Goodson show regardless of network. The only exception IIRC is where the NBC bells were used (like on Card Sharks and CC, even MGHS).  And if I'm even less mistaken, even those were used by CBS at least once (Pass the Buck).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 02:18:49 AM »
What's the extent of the Price Is Right SFX, though? The CBS ding and their own buzzers?
More or less, although the Pathfinder wrong step SFX was also used on Trivia Trap. One of the answer reveals from TT became the Fast Money reveal sound, so like you said, it may very well be just a Goodson thing, not so much network.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 10:08:33 AM »
Interesting to ponder: the "wrong answer!" buzzer from Wheel of Fortune was also the time's up buzzer for High Rollers; the correct answer sound from Wordplay takes sounds from Sale of the Century and Hot Potato; and the time's up sounder from New Battlestars was re-purposed as the third stopper for Scrabble.

Closer to the actual point, the familiar "right answer!" bell was originally (wait for it!) a right answer signal on Showoffs, just without the mechanical "clack" sound of the panel flipping over because there wasn't a panel to turn. As to why sounds sometimes moved from network to network, and sometimes they didn't, I couldn't tell you.

EDIT: Corrected the buzzer situation for High Rollers.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:41:52 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

thomas_meighan

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 10:33:37 PM »
Closer to the actual point, the familiar "right answer!" bell was originally (wait for it!) a right answer signal on Showoffs, just without the mechanical "clack" sound of the panel flipping over because there wasn't a panel to turn. As to why sounds sometimes moved from network to network, and sometimes they didn't, I couldn't tell you.

Maybe it's just me, but a couple of the bells used on ABC Password certainly sound like they were re-purposed for FF. The bell used after "The password is..." (and to reveal the Lightning Round words in 1974-75) sounds like the one used for Fast Money, and the higher-pitched bell used after a correct guess in the Lightning Round (and after a correct preliminary round guess in 1974-75) seems to be the same as the one used on FF when tallying the $5/point total.

chrisholland03

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 02:29:40 PM »
I'm very sad that the Password 75 contestant pop-up SFX was never reused

:'(

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:24:54 AM »
Interesting to ponder: the "wrong answer!" buzzer from Wheel of Fortune was also the time's up buzzer for High Rollers; the correct answer sound from Wordplay takes sounds from Sale of the Century and Hot Potato; and the time's up sounder from New Battlestars was re-purposed as the third stopper for Scrabble.

EDIT: Corrected the buzzer situation for High Rollers.

Actually, just the 1978-80 version--the 1974-76 version used a different buzzer if no one answered the question.

And the SFX where the word popped up on SP (before they had Gene announcing it) came from HIT MAN (during the Round 1 race).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »
And with the Star Words pilot up, we have Feud's buzz-in and Fast Money reveal effect, for a pilot that taped while Feud was still on ABC. It also used the standard Goodson/CBS right answer bell and MG7x buzzer.

The SFX used on syndie TJW's Beat the Devil round got around quite a bit too...

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 11:25:44 PM »
And with the Star Words pilot up, we have Feud's buzz-in and Fast Money reveal effect, for a pilot that taped while Feud was still on ABC. It also used the standard Goodson/CBS right answer bell and MG7x buzzer.

And the TPIR klaxon (or the "you really lost" buzzer) if you ran out of time in the endgame.

Although, CBS already had FF's buzz-in in place, as CHILD'S PLAY used it in the Fast Play round.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

aaron sica

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 08:45:32 AM »
I also noticed on the Feud pilot that when the Bullseye board came down, they re-used the same sound effect from MG90 when the Star Wheel came down.

JMFabiano

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 03:31:49 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but a couple of the bells used on ABC Password certainly sound like they were re-purposed for FF. The bell used after "The password is..." (and to reveal the Lightning Round words in 1974-75) sounds like the one used for Fast Money, and the higher-pitched bell used after a correct guess in the Lightning Round (and after a correct preliminary round guess in 1974-75) seems to be the same as the one used on FF when tallying the $5/point total.

The "#1 answer"/"banking money"/"finished Fast Money before time's up" chimes from Family Feud were also used when someone won One-on-One in TTTT90, no? 

I think the face-off buzzer was used to indicate a wrong answer on some Goodson show...can't quite remember...

The SFX used on syndie TJW's Beat the Devil round got around quite a bit too...

Yep, Penny Ante, and Double Dare '76 (on DD, it was available at two different pitches....listen carefully...) 

As per Buzzr's Lost & Found, I think it was TKO that used Hot Potato's correct answer chimes (as opposed to the brief time when HP used the Sale of the Century "ding" for correct answers)

/SOTC borrowed the Winner's Circle countdown for the Speed Round.
//Then they switched to a "Jimmy Hart Version."
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 03:54:43 PM »
A what?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 03:56:55 PM »
A what?

Oh, there you go feeding him again. You know better.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jalman

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 05:50:03 PM »
A what?
"Suspiciously Similar Music." Even TV Tropes went away from using Mr. Hart as the namesake.