Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr Lost and Found stunt  (Read 48412 times)

tvwxman

Re: Buzzr Lost and Found stunt
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2015, 03:35:03 PM »
I was hoping for the "Spell Binders" pilot that I saw in La-La Land back in '78 with Bill Anderson hosting.

This leads  to a curious question : What other pilots did they miss from the G/T files? I could only think of Match Game 2 w/ Charlene Tilton. Any others?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2015, 03:49:59 PM »
I was hoping for the "Spell Binders" pilot that I saw in La-La Land back in '78 with Bill Anderson hosting.

This leads  to a curious question : What other pilots did they miss from the G/T files? I could only think of Match Game 2 w/ Charlene Tilton. Any others?
Card Sharks from around the same time period, hosted by a guy by the name of Tom Green. Not that Tom Green; this one was a Denver sports anchor. Also the Jack Clark Now You See It pilot from 1985.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2015, 03:50:15 PM »

Unless I missed it, NYSI '86 wasn't shown, nor was Oddball.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2015, 07:06:08 PM »
There's Puzzlers & Call My Bluff has two run-through episodes that I know of.

mmb5

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2015, 08:08:54 PM »
MG90 (six pilots)
Card Sharks '78
2008 MG (Andy Daly)
It's Predictable (1970, Gene Rayburn): This is likely the show that Jack Barry tried to rig.  This game is very proto-Better Sex.
He Said, She Said
Family Feud (Dawson)
To Tell The Truth 1980 (Ward)
To Tell The Truth 1990 (Kline)
Price Is Right 1993 (Davidson)
Blockbusters (Cullen): Has a bonus mini-game
Password Plus
Showoffs (with Larry Blyden)
Mindreaders
Split Personality (1959)
Rate Your Mate (1951)
Take Your Choice (1954)
Say When (1960)
Missing Links
Get the Message
Better Sex
Play Your Hunch
Nothing But the Truth (1956, became TTTT)
Concentration (1985 with Orson Bean)

These are the G-T pilots I know about.  Some of these may only be extant at the UCLA archive, G/T in the late 70s had a deal with NBC to produce a pilot a quarter, the BB, P+ and MR pilots are really test shows since they already had the format down and might as well have the network pay for your rehearsal.  So some of these pilots may no longer exist, or they might not be in an air-worthy form.

Buzzr could have also aired any other Hatos-Hall pilot (there's at least a dozen, UCLA has them).  May even Carruthers (some 70s stuff plus PYL) and Grundy as well.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2015, 09:25:08 PM »
It's fun and trippy to see some of the trading circuit stuff in its best quality (Match Game pilot, etc.), but the real story that came out of Lost & Found for me was the potential for all sorts of near-pilots. The Family Feud thing was a fascinating find. We've seen the Classic Concentration test show and Now You See It mid-run pilots - who knows what else is around?

Add in the 1975 Mindreaders with Jack Clark, which was an entirely different game from the Dick Martin show. I'm sure the full Cash Tornado with Jim Perry would be fun. The Eubanks Card Sharks pilot had no appreciable differences I could remember, and not recalling  the tape date ofhand, it might very well be one of the "not-really-pilots" Mike describes. Bob Hilton announced, the contestant answer displays weren't color-coded, etc.

-Jason
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:42:04 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2015, 09:37:19 PM »
MG90 (six pilots)
Card Sharks '78
2008 MG (Andy Daly)
It's Predictable (1970, Gene Rayburn): This is likely the show that Jack Barry tried to rig.  This game is very proto-Better Sex.
He Said, She Said
Family Feud (Dawson)
To Tell The Truth 1980 (Ward)
To Tell The Truth 1990 (Kline)
Price Is Right 1993 (Davidson)
Blockbusters (Cullen): Has a bonus mini-game
Password Plus
Showoffs (with Larry Blyden)
Mindreaders
Split Personality (1959)
Rate Your Mate (1951)
Take Your Choice (1954)
Say When (1960)
Missing Links
Get the Message
Better Sex
Play Your Hunch
Nothing But the Truth (1956, became TTTT)
Concentration (1985 with Orson Bean)

These are the G-T pilots I know about.  Some of these may only be extant at the UCLA archive, G/T in the late 70s had a deal with NBC to produce a pilot a quarter, the BB, P+ and MR pilots are really test shows since they already had the format down and might as well have the network pay for your rehearsal.  So some of these pilots may no longer exist, or they might not be in an air-worthy form.

Buzzr could have also aired any other Hatos-Hall pilot (there's at least a dozen, UCLA has them).  May even Carruthers (some 70s stuff plus PYL) and Grundy as well.

Burger OUT! <drops mike>
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2015, 10:52:46 PM »
There's also the Ray Combs syndie Feud pilots from 1987. Evidently, Take Your Choice very nearly made the cut based on the promos.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

RMF

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2015, 01:19:41 AM »
Does the episode of It's News to Me aired two months before the general run started count as a pilot?

Jamey Greek

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2015, 03:56:19 PM »
would have loved to see What the Blank?

JayDLewis

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »

What the Blank? w/ Fred Willard (MG revival from...2-3 yrs ago?)
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Jamey Greek

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2015, 04:01:06 PM »
Just got the chance to watch TKO for the first (and last) time. Aside from the dated set, this was a pretty solid pilot. What network was this for? Too bad they didn't pick it up; I could see it having been potentially pretty successful.
ABC. They apparently passed on it in favor of Match Game.

Gee, what a problem to have. Two really good pilots and only 1 time slot available to fill.

If you remember correctly, ABC was planinng on cancelling The Home Show and replacing it with two game shows along with MG90.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2015, 04:04:42 PM »

What the Blank? w/ Fred Willard (MG revival from...2-3 yrs ago?)

yes shot in 2004.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2015, 06:15:12 PM »
And never seen, though notable in that it was about to be seen.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2015, 04:45:32 AM »
Bumping from ancient times because I found my info on the Jack Narz mid-run pilots, of which Buzzr aired the third. They all taped on November 27, 1974. The only differences in format between them was that the first pilot did not award $100 to the player who reached 50 points first. Naturally, as they were done to test the straddling format, the games straddled between the three pilots.

Having never seen a bonus answer actually come up on a regular episode, I was tickled that the players wrote their answers on color-coded cards that looked just like Match Game (green for the left player, blue for the right) featuring a monochrome version of the neon NYSI logo on the back.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck