Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr Lost and Found stunt  (Read 48416 times)

snowpeck

Re: Buzzr Lost and Found stunt
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
Looks like the Now You See It pilot may actually just be a test of the revised format, if not just a later series episode and not a pilot at all.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Sodboy13

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2015, 10:46:42 PM »
Watching NYSI for the first time in a long time really drives home what a fun idea this game was, buried in an absolutely terrible format.

EDIT: Holy cow, they changed the rules for Round 3 after one episode. Who was minding the store back then?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:57:09 PM by Sodboy13 »
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2015, 11:16:09 PM »
Looks like the Now You See It pilot may actually just be a test of the revised format, if not just a later series episode and not a pilot at all.

Having access to many of the episodes during the period of the revised format (except for the last few weeks of the series that GSN never got to before bailing out), this did not air.  (The revised format took effect with the 12/23/74 episode.)

Am I the only one a little stymied by that decision to run the revised format test run and then running the first two actual episodes, which didn't really resemble what aired before them?

ETA:  Although Mike makes a good point--is it possible NYSI didn't do an initial pilot, thus leading to changes on-air between episodes 1 and 2?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:27:57 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

snowpeck

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2015, 11:44:36 PM »
ETA:  Although Mike makes a good point--is it possible NYSI didn't do an initial pilot, thus leading to changes on-air between episodes 1 and 2?
There is a promo out there that shows six contestants on the staircase, so there must have been one. Though I can't come up with an idea of how the show would have worked with six contestants.

Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

SRIV94

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2015, 11:48:23 PM »
In that case, I withdraw the question.
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Bryce L.

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2015, 01:59:15 AM »
Also, checking the Television City website turns up a NYSI taping in October 1973 (Studio 33), I'd assume that was the initial pilot.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2015, 04:36:35 AM »
I too once thought I had received the Jack Narz pilots only to find they were three mid-run test shows of the straddling format before it got implemented on the air. Buzzr must have aired one of those instead. The only real difference I can recall between the three of them was trying to work in the pre-written bonus answer in different ways.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SRIV94

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2015, 02:36:18 PM »
I too once thought I had received the Jack Narz pilots only to find they were three mid-run test shows of the straddling format before it got implemented on the air. Buzzr must have aired one of those instead. The only real difference I can recall between the three of them was trying to work in the pre-written bonus answer in different ways.

And then they ended up scrapping it entirely when the straddling format went to air.
Doug

SRIV94

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2015, 09:15:58 PM »
So the 1969 LMAD is a kinescope (not bad quality, though).
Doug

petek66

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2015, 11:13:18 PM »
Aww, got excited for an instant at the end of Beat the Clock when Jack Narz said "Stay tuned for Whew! next over most of these CBS stations."

jimlangefan

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2015, 11:17:11 PM »
So the 1969 LMAD is a kinescope (not bad quality, though).

Considering it's the earliest series episode to ever be repeated, I'll take it.
TV's Big Dealer

cyclone45

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2015, 12:50:37 AM »
Did Wolpert give Whew to Fremantle? Semi OT I hope the currently airing LMAD makes it to buzzerplay... that $2 margin yo!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2015, 01:05:06 AM »
Did Wolpert give Whew to Fremantle? Semi OT I hope the currently airing LMAD makes it to buzzerplay... that $2 margin yo!

It's not Wolpert's property, last I heard.

/finally got Buzzr
//I don't care what anybody says, I enjoyed me some Beat the Clock circa 1979
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

jimlangefan

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2015, 01:10:42 AM »

It's not Wolpert's property, last I heard.

It still belongs to Sugarman doesn't it?
TV's Big Dealer

BillCullen1

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2015, 12:09:54 PM »
Watching NYSI for the first time in a long time really drives home what a fun idea this game was, buried in an absolutely terrible format.

EDIT: Holy cow, they changed the rules for Round 3 after one episode. Who was minding the store back then?

I felt they fixed the format problem with the Chuck Henry version, which ironically tanked after 13 weeks IIRC. Thanks to everyone who put the pilots on here so "Buzzr-less" people like me could watch them. I was hoping for the "Spell Binders" pilot that I saw in La-La Land back in '78 with Bill Anderson hosting. But I'm happy with what I got to see. Never saw "Star Words" or "Body Talk" before.