Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sale/PYL question  (Read 13726 times)

cmjb13

Sale/PYL question
« on: March 13, 2015, 01:17:36 PM »
Anyone know how many episodes are left in the current Sale & PYL run before they start over?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

snowpeck

Re: Sale/PYL question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 01:21:42 PM »
Nope, but they are so far along in PYL's run that it's starting to look like they might go all the way to the end of the series. The latest schedule PDF puts them at 70 episodes away from the end.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

mmm111

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:48:03 PM »
Looks like Sale ends for good next Friday, replaced by Shop Till You Drop.  $25k Pyramid also ends, replaced by Catch 21 reruns.  Goodbye 10AM classics...

Source:  Casey's PDF

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 06:50:05 PM »
And they didn't even at least finish the "Sale" lease once. What gives?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 07:19:26 PM »
GSN programmers rediscovered that Q&A game shows bring in the lowest ratings so they went another direction?
Travis L. Eberle

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 07:25:38 PM »
And I also just remembered that this is the beginning of April. Typically in April and October, there are major shakesups with the schedule; same thing goes with cable channels in general.

In April 2009, GSN lost the blanket licence on the Goodson-Todman library, so now, they only lease for portions at a time of them from Fremantle. Likely in this situation, it was renewal time, and only Match Game, Card Sharks, and Press Your Luck were getting the best ratings, while GSN decided ratings for "Sale" and "$25K Pyramid" weren't good enough for renewal.

I'm sure both shows will return eventually.

chad1m

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:34:43 PM »
GSN programmers rediscovered that Q&A game shows bring in the lowest ratings so they went another direction?
I guess that's why The Chase is tanking so hard.

The ratings for Sale have done fairly well for its time slot. I would reason that, since the show first appeared on April 1, 2013 that they had a one-year renewed or two-year lease and it is more likely being "let go" than "yanked", probably to continue 'newer-ifying" the lineup.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 10:02:28 PM »
While it kinda sucks that The $25,000 Pyramid and especially Sale are getting the boot, Shop 'Til You Drop does pick up where GSN left off in Season 6 (the 1997 season) and Press Your Luck is still going...so I don't think it's all that bad.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

chad1m

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 10:10:43 PM »
Shop 'Til You Drop does pick up where GSN left off in Season 6 (the 1997 season)
This is something I was wondering. I didn't remember the numbering system from the PDFs, but I look forward to the incredibly-nineties Shop. As much as I will miss new-to-me Sale, if they ever manage to slide Supermarket Sweep in at 10:30, all is forgiven.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 10:25:31 PM »
This is something I was wondering. I didn't remember the numbering system from the PDFs, but I look forward to the incredibly-nineties Shop.
The Family Channel era used "1xx" for Season 5 and "2xx" for Season 6.

Personally, I'm curious as to how far this lease is gonna go -- per old ATGS posts, Fam ordered 65 episodes for Season 6, but there were conflicting reports as to whether Stone-Stanley managed to tape all of them before Fam's sale to News Corp. canned the show. If they didn't get all 65 done, they at least got enough advance notice to be able to say goodbye, since the last segment of the last episode is online and Pat gives a nice brief speech before the bonus round.

As much as I will miss new-to-me Sale, if they ever manage to slide Supermarket Sweep in at 10:30, all is forgiven.
QFT.

Bryce L.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 10:36:06 PM »
This is something I was wondering. I didn't remember the numbering system from the PDFs, but I look forward to the incredibly-nineties Shop.
The Family Channel era used "1xx" for Season 5 and "2xx" for Season 6.
Any idea what the Lifetime era used for episode numbering, on the odd chance those turn up on GSN?

ivoryman1986

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 10:56:19 PM »
Looks like we may not see Lisa Kunov's reign of terror, at least not at this moment. There are 2 episodes with her in the circuit and her last episode used to be posted on YouTube awhile back. According to snowpeck, her episodes were from S-201 to S-211.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 11:18:08 PM »
Any idea what the Lifetime era used for episode numbering, on the odd chance those turn up on GSN?
Probably sequential numbering, but that's only a guess.

snowpeck

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 01:21:35 AM »
Looks like we may not see Lisa Kunov's reign of terror, at least not at this moment. There are 2 episodes with her in the circuit and her last episode used to be posted on YouTube awhile back. According to snowpeck, her episodes were from S-201 to S-211.
I don't recall saying anything like that anywhere.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 04:14:49 AM »
If anybody said Lisa's episodes were shows 201-11, that was me, and even then I never definitively said so because I really don't know for sure. Greg has her first show, and whether through his own research or not has it listed as February 24, 1986 in his collection. Based on that and the numbers we had so far for Sale, I theorized that it was #201.