Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show themes that were actually stock music.  (Read 9655 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Game show themes that were actually stock music.
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:06:10 PM »
If I remember correctly the theme to the 1987 Blockbusters series was a piece of stock music. How many game shows over the years employed such compositions as themes? Legitimate curiosity.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

gamed121683

Re: Game show themes that were actually stock music.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »
The $10,000 Pyramid quickly comes to mind. I believe Debt, too.

TimK2003

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 10:22:34 PM »
The original Jackpot! with Geoff Edwards:  "Jet Set", by Mike Vickers (one of the members of the 60's group Manfred Mann)

I believe Debt, too.

Debt indeed used stock music from Alan Ett.

Chief-O

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 08:28:20 AM »
"Winning Streak": "Saturday About Town" by Barry Stoller.

If pilots count, then this could be quite an exhaustive list.
.....and it goes like this!!!

JakeT

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 09:52:05 AM »
Weren't game show themes almost entirely stock music until both Bob Cobert and Score Productions came into the picture? 

JakeT

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 04:01:03 PM »
Weren't game show themes almost entirely stock music until both Bob Cobert and Score Productions came into the picture? 
If we're talking about things such as Plink, Plank, Plunk and A "Swingin' Safari", I don't think those are "stock" pieces, are they?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

JakeT

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 07:22:07 PM »
If we're talking about things such as Plink, Plank, Plunk and A "Swingin' Safari", I don't think those are "stock" pieces, are they?

True enough...but also keep in mind that they were not composed/released with the thought that they'd one day become a game show theme..

JakeT

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »

True enough...but also keep in mind that they were not composed/released with the thought that they'd one day become a game show theme..

JakeT

Yes, but that doesn't qualify them as stock necessarily.

I'm looking for stuff that was written specifically as production music but not intended for a specifc use (kind of along the same lines as the NFL Films library).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:06:26 PM »
I heard bits and pieces of the theme from Every Second Counts on a comedy album by Billy Crystal, which made me wonder if that was stock/production. Would appreciate any info on that.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 10:14:13 PM »
Bob Barker's Truth Or Consequences used "Stop Gap", and 1952-57 episodes of What's My Line? had "Melody in Moccasins", both of which were written by Wilfred Burns.

This is a good resource when looking up the title and composer information of early TV themes.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 10:39:32 PM »
I heard bits and pieces of the theme from Every Second Counts on a comedy album by Billy Crystal, which made me wonder if that was stock/production. Would appreciate any info on that.

I have that album. (He only did "Marvelous" to my knowledge.) Which track?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

oaklandfan2kx

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 11:02:57 PM »
Atinale Al Precio (the Mexican Version of TPiR) uses many stock music as prize cues usually shown in the Closing Credits of each episode so here's a list of these cues including "Go For The Gold" by Family Guy Composer Walter Murphy which used as a Car Cue.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 11:15:26 PM »
That's a short list.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 12:07:09 AM »
I heard bits and pieces of the theme from Every Second Counts on a comedy album by Billy Crystal, which made me wonder if that was stock/production.
I remember reading here that it was indeed a stock piece, and I want to say Hollywood Connection's theme was as well.

As far as other shows, I'm seriously drawing a blank, but it seems that a few of Bob Stewart's NYC shows used stock music until about the mid-70s. Then he simply recycled the Shoot for the Stars theme for about another 15 years*. ;-)

Did any of Stone Stanley's mid-90s shows use stock music? I'm thinking Quicksilver and Free 4 All...I know the former used a repurposed Shop Til You Drop cue, but not sure if that was stock.

*ObTongueInCheek: Which did Bob recycle more, the SFTS theme or what would become Go's format?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 03:41:42 AM »
Did any of Stone Stanley's mid-90s shows use stock music?

Their music was in-house. I forgot which half of the pair it was, but one of the two names in the Stone-Stanley partnership was a composer.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck