Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR home game fan-made expansion  (Read 11050 times)

alfonzos

TPiR home game fan-made expansion
« on: August 04, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »
https://app.box.com/shared/8le6zrp8oh

Here is my opinion: The layout is nicely done although the text needs an proofreader. The Plinko rules just exchange one randomizing system for another without giving us the feel for the event. Of the fan-made games, IMHO only Jam works but it needs a better name.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: TPiR home game fan-made expansion
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 07:40:04 PM »
Honest opinion:

this guy had way too much time on his hands.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 07:51:34 PM »
The Plinko rules just exchange one randomizing system for another without giving us the feel for the event.

It looked like he was doing his best to limit himself to the equipment provided within the box, and with that equipment there was just no way to accurately simulate Plinko. He did the best he could with what he had.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 07:56:46 PM »
In one of the fan-made games you have to determine 25% of the price of a prize. (which is awesome for everyone who is waiting for you to do the maths there), and the contestant wins if his bid is in that range, high or low. Then you figure 20% of the next prize, then 15%, then 10%, then 5% plus or minus for the car. This is all fine and good but Walk of Fame executed it much better. Jam is a cute twist on Squeeze Play, I guess, and Shot in the Dark sounds like a convoluted version of Hangman, I think.

Plinko wouldn't suck less but if you have a d10 (and if you have one d10 you probably have more), but he could have given the relative fraction for each of the prize slots at the bottom.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 08:23:29 PM »
Plinko wouldn't suck less but if you have a d10

...then you are not solely using the components that came in the box, which seems to be the overarching theme of this exercise.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:31:06 PM »
...then you are not solely using the components that came in the box, which seems to be the overarching theme of this exercise.
Right, but that's what he used to determine the drop in his rule set as I understand it.

I suppose you could take one of the Dice Game dice, and on odds the chip moves down to the left, and on evens it moves down to the right, and after ten moves that's where you land to get a closer distribution.
Travis L. Eberle

tpirfan28

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 08:53:37 PM »
I guess I'll take credit for Jam!.  Just Squeeze Play in reverse with the possibility for a little extra chrome.  Nothing overly complex.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 11:21:34 PM »
Shot in the Dark was a BigJon creation.

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 11:24:42 PM »
Shot in the Dark was a BigJon creation.

Huh. How do you make it crash just using the number cards?

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 11:33:17 PM »
I don't have the time or patience to sort through a PDF (scrolling through them is a PITA), but I did check out Plinko. I actually like the idea, given there really aren't that many ways you can replicate it in board game form.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

J.R.

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 11:35:45 PM »
Somehow, play-testers got BSODs on their coffee tables.
-Joe Raygor

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 04:35:21 AM »
Somehow, play-testers got BSODs on their coffee tables.

But only if they got the totally useless needs package.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 12:17:17 PM »
I don't have the time or patience to sort through a PDF (scrolling through them is a PITA), but I did check out Plinko. I actually like the idea, given there really aren't that many ways you can replicate it in board game form.
What's interesting about that is that for most of us you probably don't need the directions for 90% of the games because you're probably not buying and playing this particular box game unless you're a fan of the show and want to play it.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 12:35:07 PM »
What's interesting about that is that for most of us you probably don't need the directions for 90% of the games because you're probably not buying and playing this particular box game unless you're a fan of the show and want to play it.

I actually bought mine (on significant discount) not really to play it (in fact, I've never actually played it) so much as to think of it as a Game Show Construction Set. What this dude did with his PDF is not all that far removed from that, except he actually did something instead of just putting it on a shelf and thinking about it, which puts him a step up on me as far as I'm concerned.

Thunder

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 03:01:21 PM »
I'm impressed that they haven't been described as "pricing puzzles" yet in this thread.