Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Vacation -- Chicago Tribune article  (Read 2614 times)

geno57

Game Show Vacation -- Chicago Tribune article
« on: April 27, 2014, 01:39:13 PM »
This might be behind a paywall, I don't know.  It doesn't give me any trouble, so give it a try.  Or Google the headline, and click the link that Google gives you.

Traveling to game show heaven

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-04-24/travel/ct-trav-0427-going-to-game-shows-20140424_1_game-shows-alex-trebek-jeopardy

aaron sica

Re: Game Show Vacation -- Chicago Tribune article
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 02:44:06 PM »
Came up without any pay options for me!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 03:04:49 PM »
Something from Chicago that's free?  Wow.

I would love to make another game show trip to LA.  It's only been 8 years since my last.

/Surprised my bank card didn't ask for mercy after paying Chicago prices last Saturday.
//The day trip was worth every penny.

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 04:57:33 PM »
Nice article, thanks for posting it.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 05:19:18 PM »
"Tapings were all free and lasted only slightly longer than the shows that would eventually air on television."

Sounds like he got incredibly lucky then. Having not been to Los Angeles in years, I haven't been to any eight-hour tapings, but I've certainly heard the horror stories.

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »
I attended a Wheel taping in Las Vegas a few years ago, and they ran a very tight ship. For a three episode tape session, we were out of there in under two hours (from the start of the first show until the end of the last -- there was additional time spent in line prior to the taping).

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 06:02:17 PM »
Sounds like he got incredibly lucky then. Having not been to Los Angeles in years, I haven't been to any eight-hour tapings, but I've certainly heard the horror stories.

The horror stories you've heard have been about the new breed of shows, the ones that are highly complicated, or (more commonly) that want to look as slick and polished as possible.  The classics like Wheel, Jeopardy and Price are run much more efficiently.

The record for efficiency in my personal experience has to be Craig Ferguson's show.  My wife and I attended a two-show tape date a couple of years ago that got done in under two hours.  That's right, even with a break between shows, they got the whole thing done in LESS than real time!  They typically spent as little as thirty seconds in commercial breaks, and both shows were later padded slightly with short comic videos that the studio audience never saw.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.