Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: No cutoffs at end of shows  (Read 5591 times)

BillCullen1

No cutoffs at end of shows
« on: March 25, 2014, 09:54:55 AM »
I don't know if this is the start of a trend, but for the past couple of days, GSN has not cut in with promos at the end of PP, MG, PYL, SOTC, Blockbusters and such.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:38:37 AM by BillCullen1 »

Jay Temple

Re: No cutoffs at end of shows
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »
I noticed something similar on Friday. They had promos at the end of 25KP, but they misplaced them over Dick's goodbyes, and then they came back to the prize copy.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 01:53:15 PM »
Technical glitch, or have they decided they were unneeded due to them making more than enough revenue?  I go with the former.  Other cable networks are still doing the credit crunches on their shows, no reason to think the trend is dying.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 01:55:40 PM »
Technical glitch, or have they decided they were unneeded due to them making more than enough revenue?  I go with the former.  Other cable networks are still doing the credit crunches on their shows, no reason to think the trend is dying.

Yeah, but they don't cut off to the next program, like GSN does.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 02:23:03 PM »

Yeah, but they don't cut off to the next program, like GSN does.

TNT does.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 08:15:06 PM »
I'd love to think that a network finally realized that they prolly wouldn't lose as many viewers as they fear by leaving the credits intact, but I'd be giving television executives way too much credit.

At least with voiceovers, you could still hear the theme song faintly...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 09:22:34 PM »
I look at what TV Land is doing now (I believe USA is doing the same)- not crunching the credits, but instead superimposing them on the screen so the end of one show is followed by the start of the other.

This really doesn't bug me but I find it strange too.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 04:54:29 AM »
I look at what TV Land is doing now (I believe USA is doing the same)- not crunching the credits, but instead superimposing them on the screen so the end of one show is followed by the start of the other.

It would seem that that would be more work than running the credits, closing theme and logos.  For me, the closing theme was something I wanted to hear. I used to like staying to the end of movies to read the credits....until I got a girlfriend who wanted me to be normal. Girlfriend trumps credits.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

xavier45

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 08:34:08 AM »
Match Game's credits got cutoff today. But the promo and credits were in the same sized screen and next to eachother.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 09:47:06 AM »
It would seem that that would be more work than running the credits, closing theme and logos.  For me, the closing theme was something I wanted to hear. I used to like staying to the end of movies to read the credits....until I got a girlfriend who wanted me to be normal. Girlfriend trumps credits.
I almost fell for this one. 8/10

I've noticed some networks will squeeze the screen, but show a "silent" promo, allowing you to still hear the theme song. It's very refreshing...the networks get their ad in, the viewer hears the theme. Everyone's a winner. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JMFabiano

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »

Thing is, there were some episodes that have end credit gags, and even before the '90s when such gags became en vogue.  This happened when Lifetime ran Golden Girls as they did this with the credits.  I imagine it happens on TVL too.  And, you know, the people who want to hear the end version of the Gilligan's Island theme and such. 

I don't notice it as much on USA as they show modern shows, but they do crunch the closing logos.  I don't even think they've done that on some showings of Modern Family...just the end creds over final scene, then next episode. 

Someone mentioned TNT, let us not forget its "brother," TBS for (starting?) the "another episode starts RIGHT NOW..." trend. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 05:08:30 PM »
On some shows, the credits are so small and zoom by so fast, I wonder what the point is of even bothering to show them in the first place.

You know, other than because they have to. Or do they?
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 05:29:41 PM »
You know, other than because they have to. Or do they?

Pretty safe to assume there's some contractual obligations that require them to run them if they're letting them fly by that quickly.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
GSN, in the past week or so, has had technical problems, including no logo at the bottom corner and the screen cut off so you cannot see the points on the Fast Money Round of Family Feud.
Among other things.

While watching Saturday afternoon's 1 vs. 100 rerun, I noticed the aspect ratio was off on both the SD and HD feeds, and over 10 mins. of the same handful of ads aired before 1 vs. 100 was joined in progress.

Jay Temple

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 03:46:07 PM »
Super Password is airing episodes from February 1987, when NBC had a "Car-Azy February" promotion. On SP, Scrabble and probably at least one other show, they showed puzzles, and viewers sent in postcards with their solutions to win a car. Today's SP made reference at the end to not having one. This is something one would think they'd cut when they're making room for the extra commercials! Glad I got to see it.

Incidentally, numerous shows in that promotion got pre-empted by the Iran-Contra hearings. I think the announced rule was that you had to solve all five puzzles, but because of the pre-emptions, they just let anyone who got one puzzle right into the drawing. (If, as I recall, each show was giving away five cars, I would simply have had five separate drawings, each one limited to people who got a specific day's puzzle right.) It would be ironic if today's show was one of the pre-emptions, since they had this puzzle: ARMS ... IRAN ... SCANDAL ... LIEUTENANT ... COLONEL.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.