Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show announcers as Game show hosts  (Read 11622 times)

uncamark

Game show announcers as Game show hosts
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2004, 03:42:36 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 12:11 AM\']Also recently on eBay is an episode of another radio program from February 1989, "Master Control", an informational and inspirational program featuring various personalities. This particular episode featured MG Kelly talking about his announcing gig on "Wheel":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2584660554[/quote]
For those of you who've never heard of it, "Master Control" was the Southern Baptist Convention's weekly radio program that was inspired by NBC's "Monitor," in that it was a mix of secular pop music and interviews and commentary with more of a spiritual bent.  It also had its sounder that was its version of the famous "Monitor Beacon."  Many of you may be more familiar with the program the SBC did for pop/Top 40 stations for many years called "PowerLine," which also mixed secular hit music with religious messages and was carried on many major Top 40 stations, including both WLS in Chicago and WABC in New York (I believe).

The "Master Control" title was explained in the weekly signoff:  "We hope that your life is controlled by the Master--Jesus Christ."  It and "PowerLine" are still on the air, although "Master Control" has become even more overtly religious in recent years as the Southern Baptist Convention has become more fundamentalist in outloook and "PowerLine" is now aimed at adult contemporary stations instead of Top 40.  Under the SBC's FamilyNet Radio rubric, they also produce the contemporary Christian music show "On Track" and the secular country music show "Country Crossroads" (hosted by the legendary Dallas-Ft. Worth DJ Bill Mack).  Here's their web site.

rugrats1

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2004, 04:05:40 PM »
For those of you who've never heard of it, "Master Control" was the Southern Baptist Convention's weekly radio program that was inspired by NBC's "Monitor," in that it was a mix of secular pop music and interviews and commentary with more of a spiritual bent.

I recall listening to Master Control in the early-1980s -- it was on one of my local stations on Sunday morning, right before American Top 40 or Dick Clark's National Music Survey (don't know which).

And I think such programs existed to help radio stations fulfill their public service obligations at the time without turning listeners off -- the US armed forces have been doing this alot prior to the 1980s (like Wolfman Jack's weekly show, sponsored by the Air Force).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 04:08:29 PM by rugrats1 »

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2004, 04:13:40 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 04:04 AM\'] Video exists on MG's site of him announcing and hosting an eppy of Wheel in the midst of Pat starting his talk show. Don't know if it was for a week or one show, but he actually had quite the host look going. He bantered with Vanna in the clip as well as introducing himself.

-Jason [/quote]
 I have got to see this. Do you have the link?

tvrandywest

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2004, 05:00:51 PM »
I sure remember MG well as a great LA DJ - KHJ, KODJ, etc.  While a talented and handsome guy, I don't recall him ever hosting any games.

[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 01:05 PM\'] ... And I think such programs existed to help radio stations fulfill their public service obligations at the time without turning listeners off... [/quote]
BINGO! Back "in the day" local and national charities, public service and religious organizations had a CHANCE for some airtime as radio stations had to commit to a certain number of weekly hours of news, public affairs, PSA and "other" (religion fell under "other") programming every three years when the license was up for renewal. The FCC could and would audit "promise" vs "performance".

Both "Powerline" and "Master Control" were around even before me, back in the early 70s. Of all the taped shows available free to stations from the various religious organizations to fulfill those programming committments they were the very best for top-40/rock stations. Besides not alienating all of your regular listeners, those shows was shipped on great 1.5 mil mylar mastering tape - Ampex 256 is my best guess. Besides wonderful for your personal reuse, with those tapes you could confidently leave the station during the 30 minutes (a "no-no") and get breakfast!

Almost OT, but thanks for the memories!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 05:07:12 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com