Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show announcers as Game show hosts  (Read 11623 times)

zachhoran

Game show announcers as Game show hosts
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2003, 10:08:28 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 09:40 PM\']
1977, actually.

Didn't this version use the Knockout theme, or am I confusing it with the 1987 version? [/quote]
 I don't think TorC 1977 would have used the Knockout theme, as it isn't too likely that two game shows on the air in the same time period would have the same theme. Recall the Blank Check pilot used the NYSI CHump Change theme, but the series used a different theme, probably because a game show on a competing network used the NYSI theme.

Hal Hidey did do the music for both the 70s TorC and Knockout IIRC, and Don Felder(supposedly not the same guy from the Eagles) did the 1987 TorC theme music.

rugrats1

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2003, 11:01:12 PM »
I believe somebody once mentioned that Dick Clark (on tape) announced $20,000 Pyramid a few times after Bob Clayton's sudden passing...

If this is true, I wonder how he threw it to himself (when the regular announcer normally says "Your host is Dick Clark")?

And, in a "sort of" kind of way, David Letterman should count as well -- he hosted "The Riddlers" pilot and had a couple of brief stints at announcing, on the shortlived "Starland Vocal Band" variety show in 1976, and subbing for either Bill Wendell or Alan Kalter on an episode of his own "Late Show".

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2003, 11:09:47 PM »
Since Randy mentioned HIS hero's double-duty, I think it's only fair that I mention that Bill Cullen started out as a game show announcer -- on radio.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Winkfan

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2003, 11:36:05 PM »
And, in a "sort of" kind of way, David Letterman should count as well -- he hosted "The Riddlers" pilot and had a couple of brief stints at announcing, on the shortlived "Starland Vocal Band" variety show in 1976, and subbing for either Bill Wendell or Alan Kalter on an episode of his own "Late Show".
Speaking of Bill Wendell, in addition to announcing, he also hosted the final season of the ORIGINAL Tic Tac Dough during 1958-59.

Some more guys who did the 'host & announcer' game were Don Morrow, John Reed King, Steve Dunne (He was the announcer on What's This Song.), Win Elliot, and Bill Amrstrong.

Bill Cullen started out as a game show announcer -- on radio.

And Jay Stewart was a game show host -- on radio.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Gail Sheldon of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:33:54 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2003, 11:45:24 PM »
Well, this is pushing it, but...

"Last time on 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?'..."

"...and now, for night xxx of 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?'"

I think this qualifies Regis Philbin as an announcer.

Argo

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2003, 12:19:05 AM »
Speaking about Dick Clark announcing after Bob Clayton on Pyramid, does anyone have any audio clips of any intros and/or outros of him doing this? It would be fun to hear.

Thanks
Mark.

Jay Temple

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2003, 12:31:44 AM »
What did Gene Wood host?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

rugrats1

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2003, 12:38:48 AM »
What did Gene Wood host?

"Beat The Clock", 1972-74, when it was taped in Montreal (he was also announcer of the Narz version from New York & Montreal, 1970-72). Also, the first season of the Ottawa-based "Anything You Can Do" (1971-72).

Don Howard

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2003, 12:51:20 AM »
Didn't Don Pardo guest-host a time or two on the original Price Is Right?
And let's remember Jim McKrell, host of Celebrity Sweepstakes, who announced on Sweethearts and on many episodes of Couch Potatoes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 12:54:43 AM by Don Howard »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2003, 01:21:19 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 09:45 PM\'] Well, this is pushing it, but...

"Last time on 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?'..."

"...and now, for night xxx of 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?'"

I think this qualifies Regis Philbin as an announcer. [/quote]
 Certainly no less so than Ron Maestri, and people seem to count him.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2003, 09:04:50 AM »
Another self-introducing host was Gary Owens of "Letters to Laugh-in."  His first words after his entrance were almost if not always: "Thank you, me... and thank you, you!"

Esoteric Eric, procrastinating here, rather than facing the commute after the rare Seattle snowfall last night
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Speedy G

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2003, 11:48:49 AM »
Marc Summers announced I Can't Believe You Said That, having hosted... um, that show... with the kids, and the daring, and the slime, and the obstacle course, among others.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

zachhoran

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2003, 11:50:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Speedy G\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 11:48 AM\'] Marc Summers announced I Can't Believe You Said That, having hosted... um, that show... with the kids, and the daring, and the slime, and the obstacle course, among others. [/quote]
 Marc's announcing debut was 25 years earlier than I Can't Believe You Said That, as a 22-year old Marc reportedly announced a week of CBS Joker's Wild in May 1973.

Don Howard

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2003, 11:59:38 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 11:50 AM\'] [quote name=\'Speedy G\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 11:48 AM\'] Marc Summers announced I Can't Believe You Said That, having hosted... um, that show... with the kids, and the daring, and the slime, and the obstacle course, among others. [/quote]
Marc's announcing debut was 25 years earlier than I Can't Believe You Said That, as a 22-year old Marc reportedly announced a week of CBS Joker's Wild in May 1973. [/quote]
Wasn't Marc also in the booth for the first month or so of The $1,000,000 Chance Of A Lifetime?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 11:59:52 AM by Don Howard »

zachhoran

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2003, 12:08:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 11:59 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 11:50 AM\'] [quote name=\'Speedy G\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 11:48 AM\'] Marc Summers announced I Can't Believe You Said That, having hosted... um, that show... with the kids, and the daring, and the slime, and the obstacle course, among others. [/quote]
Marc's announcing debut was 25 years earlier than I Can't Believe You Said That, as a 22-year old Marc reportedly announced a week of CBS Joker's Wild in May 1973. [/quote]
Wasn't Marc also in the booth for the first month or so of The $1,000,000 Chance Of A Lifetime? [/quote]
 It was another Mark, whom we never figured out the identity of IIRC. It wasn't Mark Driscoll who later did a month of NYSI89 either.