Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What'd you get for Christmas?  (Read 4507 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
What'd you get for Christmas?
« on: January 01, 2014, 11:48:41 PM »
Welcome back, friends. Since this place was closed during Christmas, I figured it'd be fun to discuss what Game Show Santa left for us under the tree this year.

From my darling lady, among other things, I received:

- The NBC Peacock Game
- My new favorite toy, the SupaBoy Portable SNES
- ...and this.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

Re: What'd you get for Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 11:52:32 PM »
It wasn't exactly a Christmas present, but I did get one game show treat specifically so that I could share it with all of you.  Keep an eye out for a post from me in the Video section in the next few days.  A very special member here (special in the best sense of the word) sent me a DVD to rip and upload to YouTube.  I'll let you know more when the time comes.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 01:28:59 AM »
All of our members are special, just some are more special than others, and some are "special" inside quotation marks.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:39:06 AM »
I got one of the programs handed out at the Wheel of Fortune NYC tapings in fall 1988. I'd been watching the thing on eBay since June, and it had no takers for the longest time.
Bobby Peacock

Offshored2007

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 12:52:07 PM »
Adam's "Quizmaster" book - an excellent read.

vtown7

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »
While not directly from Game Show Santa I did pick up tickets to Family Feud Live in March.

joshg

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 01:14:36 AM »
"Pointless" board game with 'all new questions'.
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 02:29:57 AM »
- ...and this.
What the hell, Christian, I'll share this.

"The lady" contacted me on Facebook and asked me to brainstorm some game show-related gifts that she could give you and said she didn't want it to be a home game or a photo. She wanted something game show-related but something you wouldn't expect. I threw two ideas at her and she abruptly says "Wait, don't bother." And then she sent me the link to the teapot, and yes, it absolutely blew my two ideas out of the water. (I won't tell you what because you're still going to have other Christmases down the road and...you know...just in case...)

Roommates got me a 9th and 10th Edition MB Password, plus a near-mint copy of Number Please.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:06:57 AM »
- ...and this.

"The lady" contacted me on Facebook and asked me to brainstorm some game show-related gifts that she could give you and said she didn't want it to be a home game or a photo. She wanted something game show-related but something you wouldn't expect. I threw two ideas at her and she abruptly says "Wait, don't bother." And then she sent me the link to the teapot, and yes, it absolutely blew my two ideas out of the water. (I won't tell you what because you're still going to have other Christmases down the road and...you know...just in case...)

Roommates got me a 9th and 10th Edition MB Password, plus a near-mint copy of Number Please.

That's hilarious. I knew something was up...that must have been around the same day she sent me running to the bank. Gave me her jar of change and was just like "GO GO GO"
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 10:17:14 AM »
- ...and this.

"The lady" contacted me on Facebook and asked me to brainstorm some game show-related gifts that she could give you and said she didn't want it to be a home game or a photo. She wanted something game show-related but something you wouldn't expect. I threw two ideas at her and she abruptly says "Wait, don't bother." And then she sent me the link to the teapot, and yes, it absolutely blew my two ideas out of the water.

Bloody brilliant.  Cat wins the "significant other" prize this year, and probably for many years to come.  Just absolute genius.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »
I rarely ask for game show stuff as gifts--people aren't knocking down my door to play a 40-year-old game of Three on a Match or Sale of the Century, now, are they. I also don't ask for games in general anymore. There was a time when I'd fill up my list with the commemorative editions of Monopoly (which I'm now trying to unload), and lots of times the games I get would be banged up and scuffed inside the shrink. So I stopped bothering.

What I love about this story is that Cat found a thing you'd like and made it happen, or barring that went to a trusted authority. It shows a great deal of effort on her part to do something unique, special and meaningful.

My sister got everything but her flight taken care of on the family trip to Hawaii that Dad, Stepmom and Sister are on right now (so day trips and the like), and I got my grandmother's 2002 Malibu LS. It's not a brand new car! by any means, but after Icy Friday I don't really care about the age.
Travis L. Eberle