Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Greatest Game Show Hosts Quiz  (Read 8343 times)

Matt Ottinger

Greatest Game Show Hosts Quiz
« on: December 01, 2013, 10:59:15 AM »

I just posted this on Facebook, but I also wanted to get the more detailed opinions of our members here.  It\'s a ten-question quiz, and it\'s much more challenging that the typical game-show fare.  For one thing, many of the questions aren\'t about game shows at all, but rather about some other aspect of a host\'s career.

I have a problem with two of them, the Rayburn one because I never recall him doing what the answer said he did, and the Moore one because the author took a throwaway line out of context and made it seem like a much bigger deal than it was.  I\'m also not thrilled with the Pyramid one, though their answer is the best of the ones provided.  But I\'ll be interested in your thoughts.

http://www.legacy.com/news/did-you-know/greatest-game-show-hosts-quiz/1712/#sag=nfacebook\'>http://www.legacy.com/news/did-you-know/greatest-game-show-hosts-quiz/1712/#sag=nfacebook

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:59:40 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »

8 of 10.  Missed the Rayburn and Convy q\'s.

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »
I scored 6. I always thought Garry\'s departure was directly health-related; not seeing that as an option threw me for a loop.

Fun quiz, although I too am curious about the source on some questions (Garry and Gene).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 11:37:21 AM »

Fun quiz, although I too am curious about the source on some questions (Garry and Gene).

Well, the source on the Garry Moore one is Garry\'s own words from the TTTT episode where they brought him back to explain his departure.  The question writer just took one odd part of his comments out of context and decided to make that his answer.

As for the Rayburn one, I\'d like to think I\'ve watched as much Match Game as the average fan and I can\'t ever remember him doing what the question said he did. 

DrBear

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 11:39:25 AM »

Yeah, I missed the Garry and Gene questions too....and a couple of the ones I got right were just guesses.

Nice pic of Garry in the lead in as well.

This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 01:11:02 PM »

I have 1,100 episodes of \"Match Game\" on my external hard drive and I\'m plowing through as many as I can while researching the next book. I have NEVER heard of Gene doing that.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 01:51:39 PM »
Just a thought, based solely on being as confused about this as everyone else: Is it possible this is something the author saw on The Match Game as opposed to Match Game \'7x?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »

I got an 8/10; missing the question about Pyramid and the one on Ed McMahon.  I\'ll admit to making a lucky guess on the first one

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:05:59 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Fedya

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 02:06:28 PM »
I couldn\'t get the quiz to load at all, and I tried multiple browsers. :-(
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 03:33:11 PM »

Just a thought, based solely on being as confused about this as everyone else: Is it possible this is something the author saw on The Match Game as opposed to Match Game \'7x?

My gut feeling is that the author remembers seeing Gene do it ONCE, and somehow decided in his mind that it was a regular thing.  Whether that was on the original show or the better-remembered remake is anybody\'s guess.  But yeah, that\'s one of the reasons I wanted to put the quiz out on this forum.  Flawed question is flawed.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 03:46:02 PM »

7/10. Missed McMahon, Convy, and Rayburn.

I only knew the Garry Moore question because I love that episode of TTTT. Specifically, the opening when he received just an amazing ovation. He deserved it and it was fun seeing him doing his gag of looking back to see if someone else was there.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:50:04 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

carlisle96

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 04:01:08 PM »

don\'t like to boast, but I got 10 out of 10, but I do admit making lucky guesses on the Garry Moore and Ed McMahon question. I knew the Rayburn question because he used to deliver weather reports on the very early Steve Allen Tonight shows

Jay Temple

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 04:05:45 PM »

6/10. This quiz illustrates the difference between trivia and trivial. Three of the ones I missed and at least one that I got, my first reaction was, \"Who cares?\"

Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

trainman

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 06:34:14 PM »
A quiz about \"the greatest game show hosts\" -- and there\'s a question about Rod Roddy, but no question about Bill Cullen? Hmm...
trainman is a man of trains

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 07:04:58 PM »
8/10 -- missed the McMahon and Convy questions, was guessing on the Groucho one, and only got the Rayburn and Moore ones "right" because of the posts here. The Rod Roddy question had no business being there at all.

A quiz about "the greatest game show hosts" [...] but no question about Bill Cullen? Hmm...
Especially since Bill did a lot more than just game shows. Probably the reason why Bill isn't present is because it seems that if he's remembered for hosting games at all by the general public, it's for those short-lived ones that GSN airs from time to time. Bill's longest-running game show isn't even associated with him too much these days given that Bob Barker hosted it for 35 years.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:45:39 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...