Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bullseye question...  (Read 4361 times)

teddygrammm

Bullseye question...
« on: December 27, 2003, 08:13:53 PM »
Not having seen a whole lot of Bullseye, I was wondering how exactly the pictures for the "visual" questions were displayed. The logical thing would seem to be to display them on one of the screens on the board, but I suppose it's also possible that that iris thing behind the contestants could open up and project something.

Anyway, just wondering. Thanks in advance to anyone who might answer.

JMFabiano

Bullseye question...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 10:02:54 PM »
[quote name=\'teddygrammm\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 08:13 PM\'] ... but I suppose it's also possible that that iris thing behind the contestants could open up and project something.

[/quote]
 Which is exactly what I think happened.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bullseye question...
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 03:15:41 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 08:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'teddygrammm\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 08:13 PM\'] ... but I suppose it's also possible that that iris thing behind the contestants could open up and project something.

[/quote]
Which is exactly what I think happened. [/quote]
 Yes, I can confirm that for certain, the iris would open and the players would be instructed to turn around and have a look.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Starkman

Bullseye question...
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 06:57:50 AM »
as illustrated by both celeb episodes recently shown on GSN's feast of favorites. Not a bad idea except you get backs to the camera.

Gus

Bullseye question...
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 12:42:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Dec 28 2003, 07:57 AM\'] Not a bad idea except you get backs to the camera. [/quote]
 ...which I always thought was kinda odd, because the two other B/E shows I can think of, The Joker's Wild and Tic Tac Dough, had the projector screen behind the host; he'd step aside to show whatever was on it. You'd think that Bullseye would've (could've?) done the same.

HYHYBT

Bullseye question...
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 05:26:23 PM »
What was it with B&E having those screens on every show? Play the Percentages had one too.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

BrandonFG

Bullseye question...
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 05:46:56 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 05:26 PM\'] What was it with B&E having those screens on every show? Play the Percentages had one too. [/quote]
 I'm wondering if Barry/Enright were scared of doing anything original. Honestly, most of their shows were similar to another successful show.

Break the Bank=Hollywood Squares
Hollywood Connection=Match Game
Play the Percentages=Card Sharks
Hot Potato=Family Feud

Also, it seems that B&E simply had one or two formula(e) for their shows, more or less. I mean look at Joker's Wild and Bullseye. Both shows you play to a set dollar amount, and the dollar values/categories were determined randomly from a large gameboard of three windows, even though the configuration was different. To be honest, I see Bullseye as nothing more than an extended "Fast Forward" question from TJW.

And of course there were the avoid the enemy bonus rounds, with some exceptions i.e. Play the Percentages, Hot Potato (avoid the number 0 and a lesser answer, respectively).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WorldClassRob

Bullseye question...
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 04:55:56 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 05:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 05:26 PM\'] What was it with B&E having those screens on every show? Play the Percentages had one too. [/quote]
I'm wondering if Barry/Enright were scared of doing anything original. Honestly, most of their shows were similar to another successful show.

Break the Bank=Hollywood Squares
Hollywood Connection=Match Game
Play the Percentages=Card Sharks
Hot Potato=Family Feud

Also, it seems that B&E simply had one or two formula(e) for their shows, more or less. I mean look at Joker's Wild and Bullseye. Both shows you play to a set dollar amount, and the dollar values/categories were determined randomly from a large gameboard of three windows, even though the configuration was different. To be honest, I see Bullseye as nothing more than an extended "Fast Forward" question from TJW.

And of course there were the avoid the enemy bonus rounds, with some exceptions i.e. Play the Percentages, Hot Potato (avoid the number 0 and a lesser answer, respectively). [/quote]
 Regarding the visual categories, Bullseye did have its screen behind the players -- both on the NBC and CBS versions of the syndicated-produced series.  I guess it would have made sense to have that screen behind host Jim Lange.

Bullseye was indeed a spinoff of sorts of TJW and TTD rolled into one, and the Q&A format is a extension of sorts of the Fast Forward category on "Joker".  But in this case there is the "contract window" in which one or both players have to answer 1 to 5 questions correctly to claim the money in the pot.

It really was a great game show -- its a shame that it lasted two years.

p.s. the Bullseye plungers looked awesome.  ;)

gameshowguy2000

Bullseye question...
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 05:22:05 PM »
I know once the "Star lights" close in on the window, this means the window's gonna reveal something.

What I want to know is: How did the contents go from Swirl to Bullseye, Lightning, etc.?

ChuckNet

Bullseye question...
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 06:19:10 PM »
Bullseye was indeed a spinoff of sorts of TJW and TTD rolled into one, and the Q&A format is a extension of sorts of the Fast Forward category on "Joker".

And TJW's "special" Bid Trivia category from later in the run owes more than a passing debt to Bullseye's maingame.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

Bullseye question...
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2003, 07:21:14 PM »
[quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 04:55 PM\']
Bullseye was indeed a spinoff of sorts of TJW and TTD rolled into one, and the Q&A format is a extension of sorts of the Fast Forward category on "Joker".  But in this case there is the "contract window" in which one or both players have to answer 1 to 5 questions correctly to claim the money in the pot.

It really was a great game show -- its a shame that it lasted two years.
 [/quote]
 Celebrities, man, they kill a show. Enright didn't learn, either, cause he pulled the same stuff with Hot Potato two years later, and it too crashed and burned. Granted, Barry's passing late in HP's run, nor the Noon time slot it received, couldn't have helped much, but still.

melman1

Bullseye question...
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2003, 08:01:40 PM »
[quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 02:55 PM\'] [Bullseye] really was a great game show -- its a shame that it lasted two years. [/quote]
 If it was so great, why did none of the networks pick it up?  I'm just asking.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

PeterMarshallFan

Bullseye question...
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2003, 08:08:09 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 09:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 02:55 PM\'] [Bullseye] really was a great game show -- its a shame that it lasted two years. [/quote]
If it was so great, why did none of the networks pick it up?  I'm just asking. [/quote]
I'd wager that none of the networks were interested in picking up a quizzer at the time, quite simply. A partial list of the quizzers that failed or had unspectacular ratings in the 1975-1980 timeline includes GT's Double Dare, The $128,000 Question, 50 Grand Slam, The Big Showdown, and the 1978 revival of Jeopardy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 08:08:37 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

Jimmy Owen

Bullseye question...
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2003, 08:29:34 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 08:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 02:55 PM\'] [Bullseye] really was a great game show -- its a shame that it lasted two years. [/quote]
If it was so great, why did none of the networks pick it up?  I'm just asking. [/quote]
Fear of success. :) Seriously, in 1980, the networks were looking to change the daytime landscape to different forms of programming like Letterman, "Love Boat" and other sitcom reruns.  By the summer of 80, ABC only had "Feud;" CBS TPIR and NBC down to WOF, P+ and Card Sharks.  Syndication was where most of the action was in the fall of 1980. TJW, TTD, MG, HS, Bullseye, TTTT, LMAD, YBYL and FTM were all in first run syndication five days a week as well as Nighttime FF (five a week and TPIR, MGPM and NTT (once a week.) So the networks weren't buying but the local stations were, so it made sense to go to syndication.  BTW, "Bullseye" lasted three years in Detroit.  The two years first run and a year of reruns the third.  Channel 4 got good ratings with that show.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 08:31:49 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

Bullseye question...
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2003, 10:52:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 08:29 PM\'] [quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 08:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 02:55 PM\'] [Bullseye] really was a great game show -- its a shame that it lasted two years. [/quote]
Fear of success. :) Seriously, in 1980, the networks were looking to change the daytime landscape to different forms of programming like Letterman, "Love Boat" and other sitcom reruns.  By the summer of 80, ABC only had "Feud;" CBS TPIR and NBC down to WOF, P+ and Card Sharks.  Syndication was where most of the action was in the fall of 1980. TJW, TTD, MG, HS, Bullseye, TTTT, LMAD, YBYL and FTM were all in first run syndication five days a week as well as Nighttime FF (five a week and TPIR, MGPM and NTT (once a week.) So the networks weren't buying but the local stations were, so it made sense to go to syndication.  BTW, "Bullseye" lasted three years in Detroit.  The two years first run and a year of reruns the third.  Channel 4 got good ratings with that show. [/quote]
 Yep on all points. When Bullseye was canned in 1982, it was even worse on network daytime as each network was down to just one game per web. Thankfully, CBS was about to change that in the 10-11am hour and NBC would get back into the game game in January upon the cancellation of two soap operas.