Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! slammed by Yahoo News  (Read 7827 times)

Ian Wallis

Jeopardy! slammed by Yahoo News
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 04:11:07 PM »

When I was reading this, I thought of 80s versions of Pyramid, and how strict they were at times.  There was at least one incident I recall where a contestant got the last box for the $10,000 jackpot a fraction of a second after the buzzer went.  IIRC, they went to commercial and came back and denied the contestant the money.  Dick explained that \"...it\'s not the money...\", but that they had to follow certain rules.  If they allowed that win to stand, then what about someone who\'s a half-second over, or 1 second...where does it end?  They had the rules in place to be fair to everybody and enforced it strictly.

I\'m not saying Jeopardy was right or wrong...although I probably would have allowed the answer to stand.  If they\'re following the \"hard-ass\" rules (as someone posted up-thread), they\'re calling it that way for everybody.

I guess a lot of it depends on the mood of the judges.  On the original Split Second, I recall they were picky at times...whereas on the \'80s remake, Monty was the judge and was more lenient.

For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DrBear

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 05:43:30 PM »

I guess this means Sofia Vergara won\'t be invited to Celebrity Jeopardy!.

This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »

Twitter. A useful resource for spreading news and information. Also, a cesspool for idiots to wager their grievances against non-existent problems. So powerful that the entertainment industry uses it to measure success, yet so reckless at the same time.

I understand intent and all, but this was clearly a case of Alex and the judges hearing something different than Elaine. He didn\'t say it clearly and as a result this happens. But since that\'s too much for people to process and just move on to the next episode, they go to their keyboard. And since a government shutdown isn\'t riveting news, news sites pick it up.

I\'ve seen this story on Huffington Post as well.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Unrealtor

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »

I\'m several episodes behind on my Jeopardy-watching, so I\'m not at all familiar with the contestant\'s voice in any way other than that clip, but I\'ve heard them accept worse mispronunciations in the past, particularly from people with thick accents or speech impediments.

"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 05:06:24 AM »

With regard to the Louisville mispronunciation, it seems that a lot of smart people are \"book-smart.\"  They\'ve never heard the word but have read it, so they form their own idea on how it is pronounced.  One of the recent J! champs did that with famous names.

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 05:14:30 AM »
I remember something like that on the all Law & Order celeb episode- Carey Lowell had a little trouble pronouncing Bill Maher\'s last name (pronouncing it \"may-er\" instead of \"marr\") and got credit because they got where she was going.

Or maybe they relax the rules a bit for celebs. Kidding.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 12:05:04 PM »

Or maybe they relax the rules a bit for celebs. Kidding.

I don\'t think that\'s as far off-base as you do.
Travis L. Eberle

GameShowFan

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 08:20:04 PM »

At a QuizBusters taping Tuesday, we had a game go down to a quick tiebreaker toss-up.  I asked for the largest city in Kentucky and the kid buzzed in and answered \"Louisville\", but he said the \'s\'.  LEW-iss-vill.  I gave it to him without batting an eye, and nobody had a problem, including the other team.  The intent was there.  He did not mean Lexington. 

Point of order 1: There is a Lewisville here in Texas, and apparently no city with that spelling in Kentucky.

Point of order 2: There is a http://kohoso.tumblr.com/post/16856754973/louisville\'>famous sign showing the various pronunciations of Louisville, KY, none of which contain an \"S.\"

How much are we splitting hairs? How much is it accent, how much of it is lack of knowledge?

\'Brian

Casey

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 12:42:59 PM »

At a QuizBusters taping Tuesday, we had a game go down to a quick tiebreaker toss-up.  I asked for the largest city in Kentucky and the kid buzzed in and answered \"Louisville\", but he said the \'s\'.  LEW-iss-vill.  I gave it to him without batting an eye, and nobody had a problem, including the other team.  

As an aside, Louisville, Colorado, is pronounced \"LEW-iss-vill\" - it took me several months to get used to that when I moved to Denver.  

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 12:52:19 PM »

At a QuizBusters taping Tuesday, we had a game go down to a quick tiebreaker toss-up.  I asked for the largest city in Kentucky and the kid buzzed in and answered \"Louisville\", but he said the \'s\'.  LEW-iss-vill.  I gave it to him without batting an eye, and nobody had a problem, including the other team.  

As an aside, Louisville, Colorado, is pronounced \"LEW-iss-vill\" - it took me several months to get used to that when I moved to Denver.  

Is that Col-O-Rodd-O or Col-O-Radd-O?

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »

Matt, if \"Norfolk, Virginia\" ever comes up in one of your questions, please do not stop tape if a student answers and the second syllable sounds vulgar. ;-)

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 04:03:45 PM »

If Mr. Norfolk and Mr. Goode went into business together...

J.R.

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 09:34:03 PM »

Here in Iowa: We have towns like Madrid (\"MAD-drid\"), Nevada (\"Neh-VEY-dah\") and Cario (\"kay-ro\").

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 09:43:48 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 10:29:18 PM »
This January, from the producers of Words Have Meanings...It\'s Pronounced How?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 02:02:53 AM »

Here in Iowa: We have towns like Madrid (\"MAD-drid\"), Nevada (\"Neh-VEY-dah\") and Cario (\"kay-ro\").

And Michigan has Charlotte (SHAR-lott) and Milan (MY-lun), among others. I live a few minutes from a four-corners called Mikado, which is (MY-kay-doh).

And let\'s not forget that J!\'s sister show is just as much of a stickler on pronounciation most of the time.

Bobby Peacock