Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! slammed by Yahoo News  (Read 7758 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Jeopardy! slammed by Yahoo News
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »
If we\'re allowing stupid initialisms to infect and pollute our discussion, and how appropriate it is, too:

FFS.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
Jeppurdy iz srrz bidness.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

40onTheBlue

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 11:09:30 PM »

Yahoo! News is scurrilous, gutter journalism, IMHO. Best taken with a grain (or a shakerful) of salt.

Greetings from Canada.

PYLdude

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »

Yahoo! News is scurrilous, gutter journalism, IMHO. Best taken with a grain (or a shakerful) of salt.

Do you take ABC News with that same shakerful?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 01:13:05 AM »

Do you take ABC News with that same shakerful?

I take all news with a shakerful. :)

Nice to see that Jeopardy\'s obstinate stance on pronunciation is getting them some negative attention.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 01:21:30 AM »

Nice to see that Jeopardy\'s obstinate stance on pronunciation is getting them some negative attention.

So the lady claiming racism was justified, then?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 01:44:40 AM »
I have no idea who claimed racism because I didn\'t read it closely after I saw the gauntlet of tweets that stood in for actual content.

What I know is that a guy said \"who is Elaine?\" with a Hispanic accent that makes it sound faintly like \"Helaine,\" and he was penalized for it. What\'s sad is that this sort of thing doesn\'t happen nearly enough to the point where Jeopardy starts to think \"huh, maybe we can weasel our way out of this icky corner we painted ourselves into\" and let judges judge the response based on intent, let all contestants sign off on that and FFS, start to apply some sanity instead of hardline and labyrinthine rules that still have to be judged anyway.

Or maybe they actually like being thought of as America\'s Favorite Hardass Answer and Question Show. I\'m not Harry Friedman, but I know how I\'d approach this.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »

At a QuizBusters taping Tuesday, we had a game go down to a quick tiebreaker toss-up.  I asked for the largest city in Kentucky and the kid buzzed in and answered \"Louisville\", but he said the \'s\'.  LEW-iss-vill.  I gave it to him without batting an eye, and nobody had a problem, including the other team.  The intent was there.  He did not mean Lexington.  (Earlier in the game, the same kid pronounced the \'s\' at the end of Les Miserables, and again, he did not mean Don Quixote.)  We tell our teams that we rely on a lot of that sort of judging, and that overall, we are more lenient than Jeopardy or NAQT, and again, nobody has a problem with that.  To me, that\'s the only rational way of running a quiz game.

/We\'re not using NAQT questions this year, so if I\'m lucky, I\'ll never have to see their pedantic footnote about Invisible Man/The Invisible Man ever again.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

pacdude

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 03:01:28 PM »

with a Hispanic Filipino accent

Fixed that for you.

/peeks dat por you.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 03:04:03 PM »

I\'m still waiting to see where the slam was from Yahoo. It called out the show for being too picky, but that\'s not a slam.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 03:11:38 PM »

Fixed that for you.

/peeks dat por you.

Golly, I missed it by that much. Humble apologies.
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 03:28:17 PM »

I\'m still waiting to see where the slam was from Yahoo. It called out the show for being too picky, but that\'s not a slam.

Headline from Yahoo: \"What\'s the Deal With \'Jeopardy!\'? Show Slammed Over \'Seinfeld\' Snafu\"

Brandon: \"Where\'s the slam on Yahoo?\"

Me: ¿Que?

"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 03:31:16 PM »
To me it seems like Brandon is critical of the original poster\'s choice of headline, not of what Yahoo! News chooses to use as their own header.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 03:37:54 PM »

Right. I think Yahoo is merely serving as the messenger...they\'re reporting the criticism from others. Just a little semantics issue, but I now see where the initial confusion may come from.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!