Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tattletales syndicated reruns?  (Read 6298 times)

BrandonFG

Tattletales syndicated reruns?
« on: August 24, 2013, 02:02:58 PM »

Looking at the CBN reruns thread reminds me of something...

A few years ago, I was looking through old microfiche for Norfolk\'s newspaper, and noticed that my former employer (an ABC affiliate) aired Tattletales in the mid-80s. It\'s never been mentioned here AFAIK, but does anyone know whether any other markets did this? I don\'t recall seeing any mentions in the old Broadcasting magazines on David Gleason\'s site...

FWIW, the TV listings were from early-1985.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 02:34:14 PM »

I can tell you that WHTM (ABC 27)  in Harrisburg did this too.......Aired them at 10:30 a.m., in \'84 or \'85, definitely after \"Body Language\" premiered...

pyrfan

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 05:25:20 PM »

I saw the show airing mornings in Miami in November of 1984. I\'m pretty sure it was a CBS affiliate because I tuned in looking for \"Body Language\" and saw TT instead. If I remember correctly, it was a mothers/daughters week featuring Nedra Volz, among others.

snowpeck

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 05:47:25 PM »

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-BC/BC-1984/BC-1984-05-07.pdf\'>http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-BC/BC-1984/BC-1984-05-07.pdf , page 136.

Victory Television has begun distributing TattleTales, celebrity game show that has not been renewed after two-and-a-half year run on CBS network. Jim Victory, president of Victory Television, noted low clearances by CBS affiliates (show was reportedly cleared by just over half of CBS affiliates) of TattleTales because of conflict with local news periods (network fed show at 4 p.m. EST) makes it \"first run\" in many markets. Show will be sold on cash basis \"with eye towards first run production in fall of 1985\" if show takes off, according to Victory. Beginning this fall, 250 episodes will be available.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:48:40 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Argo

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 09:27:23 PM »

Also, Jack Barry\'s obituary oh page 134.

JMFabiano

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 10:23:45 PM »

So I am guessing they just reran the \'80s version, natch.  I think they reran syndie MG as well, even while MG/HS was running?  And of course Perry CS. 

Argo...while we are mentioning Jack Barry\'s death...I was watching the first Cullen TJW and am reminded that Jack is not eulogized at all, and is only mentioned in passing.  Seemed odd to me. 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 10:31:54 PM »

I was watching the first Cullen TJW and am reminded that Jack is not eulogized at all, and is only mentioned in passing.  Seemed odd to me. 

Considering the lengths Dan Enright went to to wipe whatever Barry-associated stuff that he could off of the company (short of dropping Barry\'s name off the company altogether), it really isn\'t as odd.

I mean, look at all the people that left to join Richard S. Kline at his company. If Barry\'s sons wanted nothing further to do with Enright after their father\'s death I\'d think that the level of minimizing Barry\'s contribution to the company was pretty high and bad.

It\'s also hypocritical to me as if it wasn\'t for Barry, Enright would still be slumming it in Canada.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

whewfan

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 06:00:34 AM »

I am willing to bet that those that left Dan Enright were planning to do so anyway once Jack Barry was supposed to retire. Also, Jerry Lewis attempted a talk show?! Be glad THAT didn\'t happen! I can imagine, considering his ego, that his guests wouldn\'t have had much of a chance to talk! 

Getting back to Richard S Kline, say what you will about some of the Kline and Friends\' shows, but it\'s too bad we\'re not seeing any of his shows anymore... I think, if given another chance, he could produce TJW and make it more like the classic version. I know TJW 90 attempted to bring back some elements of the classic TJW, and IMO the show was more fun to watch (the spinning dollar figures made no sense, and took away the excitement of getting JOKER, JOKER, JOKER)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 12:42:37 PM »
I don\'t see how slowing the pace of the show to a crawl improved anything.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 03:57:34 PM »

What was it about Dan Enright that made others dislike him so?

Also, Jerry Lewis attempted a talk show?! Be glad THAT didn\'t happen! I can imagine, considering his ego, that his guests wouldn\'t have had much of a chance to talk! 

You nailed it, whew. A week-long trial edition ran weeknights in late night on TV-8 in Cleveland and sucked canal water.

Jerry was an over-ham.

I was expecting Norm Crosby and Shecky Greene to show up. Announcer Charlie Callas was rather entertaining, though.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:57:50 PM by Don Howard »

whewfan

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 08:04:02 PM »

I don\'t see how slowing the pace of the show to a crawl improved anything.

I\'ll agree the pacing of TJW 90 was slow, especially compared to classic TJW, but I don\'t think the original dollar figure format was any faster. If anything, the show should\'ve never had 3 players, I think that hurt the show\'s pacing, but once the game got to two players, the pacing did get faster. 

As for Dan Enright, according to Les Roberts, former producer of Hollywood Squares,  who we interviewed at GSC 9 years ago, the way Enright was portrayed in Quiz Show was very accurate. He was a guy with no sense of humor, and a very intimidating man. I also interviewed Sarabeth Rothfeld years ago, who was a contestant on TTD, and she also described Enright as \"a creep\". She said that Enright was big about women keeping their hair out of their faces, so she had to wear her hair back in a ponytail. 

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 04:21:19 AM »

I also interviewed Sarabeth Rothfeld years ago, who was a contestant on TTD, and she also described Enright as \"a creep\". She said that Enright was big about women keeping their hair out of their faces, so she had to wear her hair back in a ponytail. 

I fail to see how these two correlate.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 10:43:55 AM »

I don\'t think he was making a correlation, just that he was a creepy dude and preferred for women to keep hair out of their faces. The latter actually makes sense.

/Unless he had a ponytail fetish

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

wxfrcaster

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 03:16:17 PM »

Sort of off-topic - OK 99% off topic - but wow.  If you get the current Broadcasting and Cable, what a shell of its former self it has become!

Tim L

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 04:43:31 PM »

What was it about Dan Enright that made others dislike him so?

Also, Jerry Lewis attempted a talk show?! Be glad THAT didn\'t happen! I can imagine, considering his ego, that his guests wouldn\'t have had much of a chance to talk! 

You nailed it, whew. A week-long trial edition ran weeknights in late night on TV-8 in Cleveland and sucked canal water.

Jerry was an over-ham.

I was expecting Norm Crosby and Shecky Greene to show up. Announcer Charlie Callas was rather entertaining, though.

Link to a Cleveland Plain Dealer article blasting the first show..
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151623728429327&set=a.246096739326.141367.245324499326&type=1&theater\'>https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151623728429327&set=a.246096739326.141367.245324499326&type=1&theater