Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Score Productions "Sound"  (Read 9870 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Score Productions "Sound"
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:35:06 PM »

Is (was) there a Score Productions \"ound\"?

I think so.

Trumpets and trombones

Flutes and piccolos

Bass guitar

To a much lesser extent, on some shows:

Rhodes piano

Tambourine

Strings

Depending on the composer

Synth

Discuss.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:48:54 PM »

I know that some of Kalehoff\'s were modal, but I don\'t remember which mode.

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:53:12 AM »

Wasn\'t just Kalehoff. I think the Mindreaders theme is in dorian, and Body Language in mixolydian.

Bobby Peacock

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 09:33:51 AM »

Score musicians definitely loved brassy instruments, and for the most part kept the tunes contemporary (Moog in the early-to-mid-70s, synth in the early-to-mid-80s). Off the top of my head, I can\'t think of too many disco-based compositions though.

The MG/HS Hour pilot theme (heard over at the TVPMM) seemed to have elements of quite a few Goodson-Todman themes.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 01:07:43 PM »

MG/HS Hour was when Goodson started using Kalehoff again after a, um, hiatus. By then Kalehoff was independent of Score.

I have only recently discovered Walt Levinsky who composed a large number of tunes that wound up on Goodson shows including ours. By this time Score and Kalehoff were no longer collaborating. Levinsky was a first-rate jazz clarinetist as well as a composer and arranger. He never received as much recognition as he deserved.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:10:11 PM by chris319 »

dale_grass

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 07:10:49 PM »

I have only recently discovered Walt Levinsky who composed a large number of tunes that wound up on Goodson shows including ours.

AFAIK, the themes to Showoffs and Second Chance haven\'t been attributed to anyone, but after hearing the Price \'76 catalog I\'m wondering if they weren\'t both from Walt. (Just recently found out he did The Big Showdown.)

Chief-O

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 07:35:55 PM »

I have only recently discovered Walt Levinsky who composed a large number of tunes that wound up on Goodson shows including ours.

AFAIK, the themes to Showoffs and Second Chance haven\'t been attributed to anyone, but after hearing the Price \'76 catalog I\'m wondering if they weren\'t both from Walt. (Just recently found out he did The Big Showdown.)

The DD76/CS78 theme also smacks of Walt\'s other known work. It seems he was Score\'s top man throughout the 70s...similar to Charles Fox handling most of the 60\'s GS output, and the likes of Gary Anderson, Michel Camilo, and Jonathan Segal composing most of the 80s material.

I honestly wonder how close Kalehoff was to Score; it seems he was quite established as an independent composer right out of the gate [approx. 1970 or so]. In fact, I\'m sure the only show where I\'ve seen \"Music by Edd Kalehoff for Score Productions\", or anything of that nature, was TPIR----\"Concentration\" and \"Tattletales\" [ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vBDumKT0lpM&t=123\'>Not \"Concentration\"!] both gave credit to Kalehoff alone.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:02:48 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 08:36:44 PM »

The DD76/CS78 theme also smacks of Walt\'s other known work.

Except it has a major synth part. What did Levinsky ever compose that had synth in it? Score\'s other synth guy was Ken Bichel (Match Game) and maybe Gary Anderson (Super Password).

Bryce L.

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »

I could have sworn the first GSN cd had the DD76/CS78 music credited to Kalehoff

dale_grass

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 10:16:43 AM »

I could have sworn the first GSN cd had the DD76/CS78 music credited to Kalehoff

I\'m thinking either they were wrong or you\'re remembering wrong, because it just doesn\'t soundd like Edd.  For one thing, where were the strings? ;)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 01:25:56 PM »

Alternately, an old fart like me who still has a CD rack could actually look at said disc, which in fact credits Card Sharks to one Edward Woodley Kalehoff.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dale_grass

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »

a CD rack

A what now?

I\'ll defer to the packaging then--I\'m assuming it\'s the 70s version on the CD--since his own site simply lists \'Card Sharks\' without reference to year. I still say it doesn\'t http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Iq6LA7sZI#t=22s\'>scream Edd like his other works. 

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 03:48:55 PM by dale_grass »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »

I\'m assuming it\'s the 70s version on the CD

You\'d be correct. Sadly, it\'s a short one-minuteish version.

I still say it doesn\'t https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Iq6LA7sZI#t=22\'>scream Edd like his other works.

I don\'t think anyone disputed this the first time.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 04:51:40 PM »

http://youtu.be/mhorBgp3HvU?t=56s\'>According to the credit roll, the on-air credit for that was Score Productions, Inc.  It sounds like Kalehoff.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 05:02:39 PM »

Isn\'t the lead guitar also a trademark in Edd Kalehoff\'s work?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:03:09 PM by Vahan_Nisanian »