Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel - Jackpot Round retired  (Read 11235 times)

brianhenke

Wheel - Jackpot Round retired
« on: July 15, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »

It\'s been confirmed that Wheel of Fortune has eliminated the Jackpot Round for Season 31.

It had been in the syndicated version since 1996, and had appeared in the daytime version as well.

Brian

Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 05:25:56 PM »
To this I ask...why? Change for its own sake, really.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 05:36:05 PM »
I don\'t think \"just cuz\" is the reason.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 05:42:51 PM »

Was the more familiar version played the same way on the daytime version?

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »

I, for one, am disappointed. I thought the Jackpot was a great addition to the show.

I\'d have rather seen the Prize Puzzle take a hike and see the wheel add values (in addition to the top dollar values on the wheel) of $1000 in R1, $1500 in R2, and $2000 in R3 and up to compensate that loss.

I suppose by cutting the Jackpot, they get a round, besides the often shortened Round 4, of just straight gameplay. That is, if you ignore the car wedges.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 05:50:49 PM »

Straight from the defunct Brad Francini timeline of the show:

The Mike Darrow version of Jackpot! was alive and well in 1987, and so was a Jackpot space on the daytime version of Wheel of Fortune.  Unlike the current, more complex Jackpot concept on the syndicated show, the Jackpot space in 1987 was a simple wheel prize that was earned if a contestant landed on it.  The jackpot increased $1000 every day it wasn\'t won.  If the contestant with the wedge solved the puzzle at the time s/he had it in his/her bank, the cash was added to their total and available for shopping.

http://gscentral.net/wof/1987.htm\'>http://gscentral.net/wof/1987.htm

brianhenke

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 05:51:10 PM »

According to the Wheel History Wiki, the daytime Jackpot (1986-88) was started at $1,000 and was progressive, growing by $1,000 each day it wasn\'t won. There was a $22K Jackpot win in 1987.

Brian

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 06:03:09 PM »

Nope, it would grow day-by-day at $1,000 a clip, it was claimed like an extra wheel prize at the time, if you won it the money went into your spending spree as opposed to cash you could take home.

I would wager that something will replace the Jackpot Round. Just about every year there\'s some new googaw or doohickey in play.
Travis L. Eberle

jmangin

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »

Source?

brianhenke

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 09:02:14 PM »

This was on the Buy A Vowel boards. A source attending the first tapings of the season confirmed the Jackpot Round\'s retirement.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 03:11:07 AM »

According to the Wheel History Wiki, the daytime Jackpot (1986-88) was started at $1,000 and was progressive, growing by $1,000 each day it wasn\'t won.

Further, it was used only in Round 3 (on the red $300 between $200 and $250) and counted toward the final scores, so it could easily skewer the game if it got around $5,000 or so.

if you won it the money went into your spending spree as opposed to cash you could take home.

Unless it changed at some point (which is entirely possible), Pat clearly states it\'s a cash award in the 1986-87 shows that are online. I\'ve seen two Jackpot winners -- one solved for $1,950 and a $2,000 Jackpot, the other for $1,500 and a $1,000 Jackpot -- but both went shopping with the non-Jackpot money (and in the case of the former, Jack ended his prize plugs with \"Plus a check for $2,000!\").

Funnily enough, the latter win has Pat making the same Topkcaj joke he\'d later do in 1996 to promote the nighttime Jackpot, so maybe they\'re not so different after all. ;)

I don\'t think \"just cuz\" is the reason.

I\'m pretty sure it\'s not. I have my suspicions, though.

I would wager that something will replace the Jackpot Round. Just about every year there\'s some new googaw or doohickey in play.

The gameplay structure has changed, but the source mentioned by Brian wanted to keep it a surprise because \"it\'s really cool\".
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

narzo

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 04:11:39 AM »

This was on the Buy A Vowel boards. A source attending the first tapings of the season confirmed the Jackpot Round\'s retirement.

I can\'t imagine them retiring a round without something replacing it.  Plus I can\'t see Pat going back to \"top dollar value for our first round is $x,000 and look out for this black space...\"  

Plus it was a sponsored round and they would lose a plug.  I\'ll await confirmation.  

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:12:01 AM by narzo »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 04:39:34 AM »

I can\'t imagine them retiring a round without something replacing it.  Plus I can\'t see Pat going back to \"top dollar value for our first round is $x,000 and look out for this black space...\"  

Plus it was a sponsored round and they would lose a plug.  I\'ll await confirmation.  

I know that it doesn\'t seem like a strong connection but I\'d think that someone who was there is a good indicator, no?

IIRC the Jackpot round wasn\'t sponsored when it debuted anyway and aren\'t most of the plugs for the Jackpot round from sponsors that\'ll get plugged anyway? Besides the point, the consider the source thing has been overblown a bit lately- I remember a contestant\'s account of certain things in the rule book being dismissed due to the person\'s rep (don\'t think someone would lie about such things).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

NickS

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »

It\'s been confirmed that Wheel of Fortune has eliminated the Jackpot Round for Season 31.

It had been in the syndicated version since 1996, and had appeared in the daytime version as well.

Brian

I\'ll second Mr. Mangin\'s question, Brian - do you have a source for this?

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »

Brian

I\'ll second Mr. Mangin\'s question, Brian - do you have a source for this?

I\'m going to assume that http://buyavowel.boards.net/post/42086/thread\'>this is Brian\'s source. Like he said earlier, it is from the Buy A Vowel Boards and a member there interviewed a contestant who participated in the first round of tapings.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:28:45 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.