Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PBS teases a revival...  (Read 7760 times)

Adam Nedeff

PBS teases a revival...
« on: July 15, 2013, 03:25:51 PM »

Check out the http://www.themarysue.com/pbs-carmen-sandiego-tease/\'>cryptic photo that PBS posted to Tumblr over the weekend.

Matt Ottinger

PBS teases a revival...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »

Yeah, but you need \"Loot\" and \"Warrant\" first.  Better pass.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chad1m

PBS teases a revival...
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 03:29:47 PM »

They\'ve updated the post to note that \"this is not about new episodes, but will be appreciated by any 90s kid.\" Still, seems exciting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
PBS teases a revival...
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »

Even as a youth I disliked that part of the game.
Travis L. Eberle

SuperMatch93

PBS teases a revival...
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 05:11:11 PM »

So, who did you guys vote for in the Family Feud poll on the right side?

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

jjman920

• Mhoops.
PBS teases a revival...
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »

And here I was hoping PBS would start airing reruns of Ghostwriter.

This will still be nice to see broadcast quality episodes once again.

/I miss Noggin.

//The N is still an okay network though.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

gamed121683

PBS teases a revival...
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »

And here I was hoping PBS would start airing reruns of Ghostwriter.

This will still be nice to see broadcast quality episodes once again.

/I miss Noggin.

//The N is still an okay network though.

While I\'d definitely be on board if this happens, has there been any proof that it\'s indeed reruns of the show? Looking up some articles on the subject, the best I\'ve found is RUMORS that it\'s reruns, but no confirmations. Besides, the world map has changed quite a bit since the mid \'90s, would people really be interested in watching dated material? Then again, GSN has been running on that strategy for nearly 2 decades now, what do I know?

catnap1972

PBS teases a revival...
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 07:51:20 PM »

Besides, the world map has changed quite a bit since the mid \'90s

Wonder if that would make for some issues if children (still in school) were watching?  Or do they slap a \"Information may be outdated\" disclaimer somewhere?

MikeK

• Martha!
PBS teases a revival...
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 07:53:55 PM »

Besides, the world map has changed quite a bit since the mid \'90s

Wonder if that would make for some issues if children (still in school) were watching?  Or do they slap a \"Information may be outdated\" disclaimer somewhere?

Starting in the second season IIRC, the show put a disclaimer in the end credits that the information was correct as of the tape date.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
PBS teases a revival...
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 08:24:11 PM »

A modern revival would make more sense then 20-year old reruns for PBS, but who knows.

Someone with more acumen than I could make a really funny and on-point Venn Diagram macro out of this.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

PBS teases a revival...
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 08:33:16 PM »

I look forward to seeing the adventures of Plastic Diver Guy in slightly better quality than http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kggAyKL4oiQ#t=80s\'>this.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
PBS teases a revival...
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »

With the cuts public broadcasting has received over the last decade, the set for a revival would probably be whittled down to five desks and a standard globe.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:33:57 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
PBS teases a revival...
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 08:41:29 PM »

I look forward to seeing the adventures of Plastic Diver Guy in slightly better quality than http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kggAyKL4oiQ#t=80s\'>this.

One of the things I can\'t stand about certain kids game shows is when the humor is forced or the host tries to look and act hip&cool. One of the things this show got right is they embraced the cheesiness through and through. If the show was done in the form of a hard-boiled crime novel it would fail because you couldn\'t take it seriously. The fact that they had The Dying Informant, Plastic Diver Guy and the rest is a testament to getting the tone right and it helped.

/Awesomely awesome solo game also helped.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

PBS teases a revival...
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 09:09:38 PM »

The \"playoff round\", as I\'ll refer to it, was supremely better on the \"Where In Time\" series, but seven year old Jeremy quite enjoyed those flippy boxes on the original series.

Still don\'t know how any kid lost on the US map.

Although the \"Maps are outdated\" point has been noted, my concern would more so be with Rockapella. Two or three of the members from the series are no longer with the group, and I recall the group using melodies from popular songs to tell the episode\'s story. I mean, Rockapella isn\'t The Beatles, but wouldn\'t you have to get the former members to sign new releases, and then pay the group a royalty, as well as any royalties to artists whose songs they covered?

Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Bertie Bott

PBS teases a revival...
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 09:24:09 PM »

The \"playoff round\", as I\'ll refer to it, was supremely better on the \"Where In Time\" series, but seven year old Jeremy quite enjoyed those flippy boxes on the original series.

Still don\'t know how any kid lost on the US map.

Although the \"Maps are outdated\" point has been noted, my concern would more so be with Rockapella. Two or three of the members from the series are no longer with the group, and I recall the group using melodies from popular songs to tell the episode\'s story. I mean, Rockapella isn\'t The Beatles, but wouldn\'t you have to get the former members to sign new releases, and then pay the group a royalty, as well as any royalties to artists whose songs they covered?

The songs were all parodies, so you wouldn\'t need to pay royalties on the songs the parodies are based off of AFAIK.  As for the theme song, it was written by Sean Altman & David Yazbek, not Rockapella. So royalties for the theme song goes just to the two of them. As for royalties to the rest of the group, I\'m not sure if they would get any royalties (I don\'t know if they were part of an acting union, or how royalties in this sense work).