Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 35 years ago yesterday  (Read 9488 times)

Winkfan

35 years ago yesterday
« on: July 04, 2013, 04:59:59 PM »
Tic Tac Dough returned to TV with a vengeance 35 years ago yesterday (July 3, 1978) over the CBS network. But of course, it would enjoy its greatest success in syndication that same year.

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:42:23 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

JakeT

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:13:40 AM »

Tic Tac Dough returned to TV with a vengeance 35 years ago yesterday (July 3, 1978) over the CBS network. But of course, it would enjoy its greatest success in syndication that same year.

Cordially,

Tammy

A vengeance?  Really?  I mean, sure, the syndicated version absolutely was a great success, having an eight season run but since we are talking about the \"new\" version that debuted on CBS on July 3, that particular run has to be considered an absolute failure, not even surviving the typical minimum 13 weeks.  If Barry/Enright hadn\'t already secured the stations for the syndicated version prior to the CBS premiere, I truly believe that the Winker version of TTD would have come and gone from television in a flash, never to be seen again after the CBS cancellation and virtually forgotten by everyone except the true diehards like us....

JakeT

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 01:37:37 AM »
Now wait...wasn\'t the CBS series purposely intended to be a short term replacement series? If so the \"absolute failure\" label isn\'t applicable.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 02:59:34 AM »

I was always under the impression that both were planned from the outset to run concurrently, only the CBS version was a massive flop (as noted) and was quickly cancelled.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:00:58 AM by NicholasM79 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 03:06:47 AM »

I was always under the impression that both were planned from the outset to run concurrently, only the CBS version was a massive flop (as noted) and was quickly cancelled.

I had it the other way around- that the syndicated series was all systems go but CBS decided to give the show a summer replacement shot and had no intention of picking it up for the fall.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Craig Karlberg

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 03:55:51 AM »

I always thought the CBS version was the springboard for the syndie version.  Sure both got started in 1978, but PYLDude did say that the CBS version may\'ve been a \"placeholder\"(shows that usually last shorter than the standard 13 week threshold) or at least that\'s what he was inquiring about.  Not saying it was true or even speculating, just curious as to what show TTD \"replaced\" at the time it debuted.

aaron sica

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 05:29:34 AM »

I always thought the CBS version was the springboard for the syndie version.  Sure both got started in 1978, but PYLDude did say that the CBS version may\'ve been a \"placeholder\"(shows that usually last shorter than the standard 13 week threshold) or at least that\'s what he was inquiring about.  Not saying it was true or even speculating, just curious as to what show TTD \"replaced\" at the time it debuted.

It replaced \"Pass the Buck\" on the CBS daytime schedule, and was itself replaced by reruns of \"All In The Family\", moving from 3:30 p.m. to make room for \"M*A*S*H\" reruns.

tvwxman

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 05:54:28 AM »

NOTHING in TV is set up to be a short term series, especially when (and here\'s a hint kids) it gets replaced by sitcom reruns.

If CBS were happy with the results , for whatever reason, and the ratings were sustainable for profit, TTD would have survived longer than 8 weeks.

-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

JakeT

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 02:45:12 PM »

NOTHING in TV is set up to be a short term series, especially when (and here\'s a hint kids) it gets replaced by sitcom reruns.

If CBS were happy with the results , for whatever reason, and the ratings were sustainable for profit, TTD would have survived longer than 8 weeks.

EXACTLY!  I have never understood how anyone could prescribe to this \"placeholder\" concept that has been mentioned in different situations over the years.  If CBS was only concerned with having something to air in those eight weeks between the cancellation of \"PASS THE BUCK\" and the latest upcoming daytime morning run of \"ALL IN THE FAMILY\", I am certain they could have either gotten Bob Stewart to agree to tape an additional eight weeks of PTB episodes with the understanding that the show was still ultimately cancelled to cover the gap or, much more likely than not, renegotiate the agreement that placed \"ALL IN THE FAMILY\" back on the daytime morning schedule to begin airing on July 3rd rather than the previously agreed upon date of September 1, even if that meant AITF might have been in a rare-for-the day situation of having a double run during those eight weeks if M*A*S*H\'s premiere couldn\'t be moved up as well.  And even if none of this were possible, CBS would have had MANY very affordable rerun options at their disposal to use as a \"placeholder\" that would have cost them so so much less than what they would have to pay for a brand-new original first-run program. 

But, let\'s just say, for the sake of arguement, that the \"placeholder\" concept was actually true and CBS was willing to spend that kind of significant money to fill an early-morning time slot for a mere eight week period...why would a production company want to put the time, effort, talent and expense into creating a quality product that they know will be tossed aside in only a few short weeks, only to be replaced by sitcom reruns that were already airing on the daytime schedule but in a different time slot?  I\'m sorry and I don\'t mean to come across as an ass about any of this but, come on, use the miinimum amount of logic necessary and see why none of this \"placeholder\" stuff would have made any sense to anyone involved... 

JakeT

carlisle96

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 02:50:02 PM »

I had it the other way around- that the syndicated series was all systems go but CBS decided to give the show a summer replacement shot and had no intention of picking it up for the fall.

According to Broadcasting, the CBS Tic Tac Dough was 25 out of 27 daytime shows with a 3.9 rating and a 21 share about the time it went off. I would characterize it as a flop.

JakeT

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »

According to Broadcasting, the CBS Tic Tac Dough was 25 out of 27 daytime shows with a 3.9 rating and a 21 share about the time it went off. I would characterize it as a flop.

And I should clarify that I don\'t necessarily believe that the CBS run of TTD was a failure due to any fault of its own.  By 1978, there were often so many affiliates choosing to air alternative programming (DONAHUE was a very popular option at that time) rather than the network programming, resulting in the network shows being viewed by a much smaller audience and thus receiving much lower ratings, giving them very little potential for success, regardless of their value or quality.

JakeT

carlisle96

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 03:10:13 PM »

And I should clarify that I don\'t necessarily believe that the CBS run of TTD was a failure due to any fault of its own.  By 1978, there were often so many affiliates choosing to air alternative programming (DONAHUE was a very popular option at that time) rather than the network programming, resulting in the network shows being viewed by a much smaller audience and thus receiving much lower ratings, giving them very little potential for success, regardless of their value or quality.

JakeT

Yeah, since the CBS version was nearly identical to the syndicated version, I would also attribute its failure to clearance problems and people on summer holidays instead of haning around the house watching TV.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 04:09:37 PM »

I\'m sorry and I don\'t mean to come across as an ass about any of this but, come on, use the miinimum amount of logic necessary and see why none of this \"placeholder\" stuff would have made any sense to anyone involved...

This is an argument that has been falling on deaf ears for years. Your points are 100% valid, but I wouldn\'t hold your breath expecting the \"placeholder\" notion to disappear overnight. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 04:15:52 PM »

I\'m sorry and I don\'t mean to come across as an ass about any of this but, come on, use the miinimum amount of logic necessary and see why none of this \"placeholder\" stuff would have made any sense to anyone involved...

Logic and reasoning? You must be new here. ;)
Travis L. Eberle

tvwxman

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »

Logic and reasoning?

I never saw that show. Was it a short-run Placeholder series on a network during Summer that my affiliate didn\'t clear?

-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"