Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: All-Plinko PIR on NPR  (Read 4683 times)

Matt Ottinger

All-Plinko PIR on NPR
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 01:04:25 PM »

I am amused.  I imagine others of our ilk won\'t be.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
All-Plinko PIR on NPR
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »

She\'s missing a very basic point in the name of her faux-outrage, though, which is that if you take away all of the chrome, *most* games on TPiR utterly suck balls. Chrome is what makes the show work.

(And then she cites Cliff Hangers as her gold-standard...and her reasoning wholly cites chrome.)

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
All-Plinko PIR on NPR
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 03:43:04 PM »
Did The Onion buy out NPR?
Travis L. Eberle

Fedya

All-Plinko PIR on NPR
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 02:44:18 PM »
Cliff Hangers, at least, requires reasonably guessing the prices of items to win the prize. Plinko is as much dumb luck once you get the chips as the inanimate carbon rods of Set For Life.

Granted, my favorite game is probably Switcheroo, which doesn\'t have any chrome that I can think of.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

All-Plinko PIR on NPR
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 04:07:17 PM »

Cliff Hangers, at least, requires reasonably guessing the prices of items to win the prize.

Not disagreeing, but her reasoning was IT\'S DRAMATIC BECAUSE OMG HANS COULD DIE.

Granted, my favorite game is probably Switcheroo, which doesn\'t have any chrome that I can think of.

Granted Switcheroo is largely chrome-free, but don\'t underestimate the prop: is the game as interesting to you if the player is moving index cards around on a corkboard and the reveal changed to a call off-camera to ask if it\'s right a la Coming or Going?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
All-Plinko PIR on NPR
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 04:14:44 PM »

She\'s missing a very basic point in the name of her faux-outrage, though, which is that if you take away all of the chrome, *most* games on TPiR utterly suck balls. Chrome is what makes the show work.

Isn\'t this the case for every game show since Password? If you could play the game on the radio and not miss anything at home, something\'s wrong.

Years ago I put forth the idea that you could play all of the grocery games on a little tray like the one Jay Stewart would bring down for the LMAD pricing games, and all you have to do is hang a sign that says Grocery Game, Pick-a-Pair, Bullseye or Check-out. Lots of the quick games can be reduced to variations on Double Prices (which has always seemed like an odd name to me). But it misses the point that people have to watch the show, and it is fun to have bright colors, moving bits and stuff happening as opposed to three-by-five cards or blackboard magnet numbers for everything.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

All-Plinko PIR on NPR
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 04:22:16 PM »

Isn\'t this the case for every game show since Password?

Absolutely it is.

But it misses the point that people have to watch the show, and it is fun to have bright colors, moving bits and stuff happening as opposed to three-by-five cards or blackboard magnet numbers for everything.

That\'s correct.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
All-Plinko PIR on NPR
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 04:24:48 PM »
So she\'s a doof and we agree. This round is on me.
Travis L. Eberle

gamed121683

All-Plinko PIR on NPR
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »

...f you take away all of the chrome, *most* games on TPiR utterly suck balls. Chrome is what makes the show work.

(And then she cites Cliff Hangers as her gold-standard...and her reasoning wholly cites chrome.)

In that case, are there any \"chromeless\" TPiR pricing games in the present rotation?

BrandonFG

All-Plinko PIR on NPR
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 11:06:08 PM »
Double Prices and Two for the Price of One come to mind.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
All-Plinko PIR on NPR
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 11:10:35 PM »
What counts as chrome? The big clock? The golf green? The cash register?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

All-Plinko PIR on NPR
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 11:40:52 PM »

What counts as chrome? The big clock? The golf green? The cash register?

Actually, you\'ve hit three that are relatively chrome-free. (Though the cash register certainly doesn\'t have to be there.) Shell Game would *almost* be a fourth.

(That said, when Clock Game was played on TNPiR with a Chyroned clock, I felt like it lost something. Take out of that what you will.)

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:42:28 PM by clemon79 »

jjman920

• Mhoops.
All-Plinko PIR on NPR
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 11:56:14 PM »

I\'d say One Right Price, One Wrong Price, and Most Expensive with its previous set are relatively chrome free.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Steve Gavazzi

All-Plinko PIR on NPR
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 12:37:54 PM »
How does Most Expen$ive\'s current set have any more or less chrome than the other ones did?